Subwoofer options - AVS Forum
1 2  3 
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Subwoofer options
Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 11:43 AM 11-02-2013

Need to buy a new sub.  I have two subwoofer outputs and would consider doing two.  However, I'd like to stay $1k or less.  Is it better to buy one high powered sub or two lower powered subs.  Room isn't very big.

lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 12:10 PM 11-02-2013
Depends IMHO although general wisdom would probably be on the side of one better sub. One better sub in a small room would probably do quite well but there are advantages to multiple subs in addressing room modes, to smooth out response for multiple listening positions. Somewhat depends on what you want in the way of extension, too. What are the dimensions of the room and is it sealed off or open to other rooms? What sub have you been using and what do you listen to?
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 12:50 PM 11-02-2013
At $1K, I like dual SVS PB-1000s or single Rythmik. How large is your room?
spyboy's Avatar spyboy 03:18 PM 11-02-2013
At $1,022 delivered I like the HSU VTF-15H. In a modest sized room the VTF-15H will knock your socks off.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 07:25 PM 11-02-2013

At your price range you have a lot of great options available to you. Since SVS, HSU and Rythmik have already been suggested I will add PSA XV15 to the mix as a very good option at $800. I think any one of these options would make you happy.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 06:21 AM 11-03-2013

Room is approx. 17'x17'. I recently knocked down the wall between family room and kitchen, so room is open to kitchen and eating area. Kitchen is same size as main room and eating area is 3/4 the size. I plan to be in this house for a while longer. My next purchase, room will be bigger.

Panasonic 65VT50 television

Denon AVR-3311CI

4 Athena AS-F1-1 Audition Series Speakers

1 Athena Center Channel Speaker AS-C1-1

I bought speakers over a decade ago. For now, I'm satisfied with how they sound.

Room is fairly small, but is open to kitchen. Space is also a concern. If I had two subwoofers, I'd place the other sub on the opposite side, as you can see in the pic above. I was looking into the supercubes at first. Thought about two of the 4000 or one 8000. However, I don't know much about subs. As I've been doing research, I've been leaning towards subwoofers with continuous power in the range of 800 watts to 1500 watts. More continuous power, better the sound. Not sure if this makes sense or not. This will hopefully be the last sub or subs I buy for a while, so thank you for any advice.
SaviorMachine's Avatar SaviorMachine 06:38 AM 11-03-2013
Nice looking room, bold color. You may regret knocking down that wall, though. If I read you right, you now have a compound room that's 17x17 + 17x17 + 12.75x12.75... is that so? So assuming an eight foot ceiling, that's about 4600... and about 1300... some almost 6000 cubic feet of uninterrupted open space?

That's a lot of open space. If you want big thrills, you may need to up your budget a touch.

You could consider the SVS PC12-Plus, for $1200 shipped. This is an impeccably designed system built to deliver deep, powerful and accurate bass in large spaces. I have a lot of experience with the step-down model, the PC12-NSD, and can vouch personally for the brand's high quality. The form factor could be a consideration though, in your space, since aesthetics are obviously important to you.

You could try a pair of Rythmik LV12Rs. One LV12R won't approach the output of a PC12-Plus, but two of them strategically located could net a really powerful, high quality response in the seating area. This is currently showing up at the site as $1082 shipped to the lower 47 outside Texas. They seem to be charging $4 for shipping...? I don't know if it's a glitch--try reaching out to them.

Also, nice TV. I got an ST from the same year and it's just amazing smile.gif
Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 06:54 AM 11-03-2013

What do you all think about Velodyne Optimum Series 10-Inch?

One of my friends thinks he can get me a good deal on the JL Audio E110ASH or the E112ASH.  I'm pretty sure he is going to give me a near cost price.  I don't plan to spend over $1k, so the JLs might be too far out of my range, depending on the deal he can get me.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 07:00 AM 11-03-2013

10 ft ceilings.  I can bump my budget some.

Space I s interrupted.  I didn't knock down entire wall.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 07:02 AM 11-03-2013

I'm going to look into your suggestions.

That SVS PC12-Plus is interesting.  Don't know if I particularly like the look of it.  But that's just at first glance.  Great for saving space.

SaviorMachine's Avatar SaviorMachine 09:28 AM 11-03-2013
Yes, it's got a tiny footprint compared to subs with similar output and quality, and it's a lot more lightweight than most of them too. Multiple output modes, powerful amp with digital controls including parametric EQ. It's significantly cheaper than the box version.

On the other hand of course it's much taller, and unusual looking. Run it by the Zoning Committee wink.gif
SaviorMachine's Avatar SaviorMachine 09:31 AM 11-03-2013
If you could be convinced to up the budget to about $1400, there's Rythmik's big dog ported sub, the FV15HP. It delivers exceptional output and quality for its price.
Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 09:53 AM 11-03-2013

The depth on the sub needs to be 19" or less.  In the first picture I posted, the sub is just over 18".  Anything deeper will hang off the fireplace location where I have current subwoofer, which is driving me crazy with the noises it's making.

spyboy's Avatar spyboy 10:41 AM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bush View Post

What do you all think about Velodyne Optimum Series 10-Inch?

One of my friends thinks he can get me a good deal on the JL Audio E110ASH or the E112ASH.  I'm pretty sure he is going to give me a near cost price.  I don't plan to spend over $1k, so the JLs might be too far out of my range, depending on the deal he can get me.

The Optimum 10 won't have the output for a space as big as yours.

IIRC the MSRP of the E112 is $1,900. If you can get one for ~$1,000 that would be very tempting! The E110 isn't enough for your space.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 12:27 PM 11-03-2013
Just what is the sub you have now? Curious more than anything, but if it's making odd noises guess its time for it to go!

The subs being recommended here are not B&M subs like those you've named so if seeing/hearing it first is a necessity for you, you may lose out on the best quality for the $, as the internet direct subs are really the leaders in that regard unless you get a really great deal. You have a lot of space to fill so I'd cross the supercubes off the list now, footprint may be nice but the performance is lacking. While nothing wrong with a high wattage amp, without knowing the sensitivity of the sub, hard to say how much the wattage means.

You handy by any chance? There are some very good values in assemble & finish yourself sub kits from parts-express.com or diysoundgroup.com (who supplies the boxes for parts-express, forum member EricH).
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 12:49 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Just what is the sub you have now? Curious more than anything, but if it's making odd noises guess its time for it to go!

The subs being recommended here are not B&M subs like those you've named so if seeing/hearing it first is a necessity for you, you may lose out on the best quality for the $, as the internet direct subs are really the leaders in that regard unless you get a really great deal.

Agreed. SVS Audio, Rythmik, HSU, Power Sound Audio, and Outlaw Audio are the go to companies for subs. Unless you are getting close to 50% off MSRP, the subs from those Internet direct manufacturers are generally a better value than traditional speaker company subs.

As for the Optimum 10, best to avoid thinking about 10" subs. Given the size of your room, minimally you should probably be looking at dual ported 12" subs or a single 15" ported sub from one of those vendors I listed.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 01:16 PM 11-03-2013
With a 19" depth and $1k budget, this B-stock SVS PC12-Plus would be my first choice. I wouldn't wait too long on that, it looks like the only one in stock presently, so get it while you can.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 02:12 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
 As for the Optimum 10, best to avoid thinking about 10" subs. Given the size of your room, minimally you should probably be looking at dual ported 12" subs or a single 15" ported sub from one of those vendors I listed.

I think cel makes a good point. I think you actually have a pretty good size area based on your measurements and the pics you posted. A lot of open space to try and pressurize.

On another note, have you conducted the sub crawl around your room to find the best placement for your subwoofer? Perhaps another location would be better than where you have it right now. That may affect the size of the sub you buy. I recently crawled my room and found that where I had one of my subs positioned was absolutely the worst place I could have put it (you live and you learn). But I also found out that my other sub was in the right spot and found the the correct location for my second sub. 

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 04:04 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

With a 19" depth and $1k budget, this B-stock SVS PC12-Plus would be my first choice. I wouldn't wait too long on that, it looks like the only one in stock presently, so get it while you can.

Do you think this speaker is a better choice than the JL AUdio e112-ASH if I could get around the same price, manybe $100 or $200 more?  I'm starting to lean towards the SVS PC12 Plus.  If my friend can give me a good deal on the JL, would you still go with the SVS PC12 Plus?

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 04:58 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The subs being recommended here are not B&M subs like those you've named so if seeing/hearing it first is a necessity for you, you may lose out on the best quality for the $, as the internet direct subs are really the leaders in that regard unless you get a really great deal. You have a lot of space to fill so I'd cross the supercubes off the list now, footprint may be nice but the performance is lacking. While nothing wrong with a high wattage amp, without knowing the sensitivity of the sub, hard to say how much the wattage means.

You handy by any chance? There are some very good values in assemble & finish yourself sub kits from parts-express.com or diysoundgroup.com (who supplies the boxes for parts-express, forum member EricH).

My current sub is a sub from a different room when my main sub went out.  It's a JBL sub. 300 watts or so.  Sounds ok at moments.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 04:59 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:

My current sub is a sub from a different room when my main sub went out.  It's a JBL sub. 300 watts or so.  Sounds ok at moments.

Wish I could do a subwoofer build.  I just want to plug and play.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 05:00 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I think cel makes a good point. I think you actually have a pretty good size area based on your measurements and the pics you posted. A lot of open space to try and pressurize.

On another note, have you conducted the sub crawl around your room to find the best placement for your subwoofer? Perhaps another location would be better than where you have it right now. That may affect the size of the sub you buy. I recently crawled my room and found that where I had one of my subs positioned was absolutely the worst place I could have put it (you live and you learn). But I also found out that my other sub was in the right spot and found the the correct location for my second sub.

Do you think this speaker is a better choice than the JL AUdio e112-ASH if I could get around the same price, manybe $100 or $200 more?  I'm starting to lean towards the SVS PC12 Plus.  If my friend can give me a good deal on the JL, would you still go with the SVS PC12 Plus?

Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 05:27 PM 11-03-2013

My understanding is the JL Audio e112 is a good sub but unless you can get it at the same price as the SVS-PC12 Plus I would go with the SVS. There is another important thing to consider and that's warranty and customer service. SVS has a 5 year unconditional warranty. In fact they have a Customer Bill of Rights, now that's customer service. SVS has a great reputation for taking care of their customers and backing their products.  

spyboy's Avatar spyboy 11:26 AM 11-04-2013
Quote:

The E112 vs. the PC-12 Plus is like comparing apples to oranges. E112 = small and Sealed, while the PC-12 Plus is really tall and ported (in native tuning). Visually speaking its no contest.

I have an SVS 20-39 PCi but my wife isn't troubled by the 39 inch 20-39 PCi.
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 01:01 PM 11-04-2013
A single sub will have to be fairly large in order to get to the needed output for your space. If you can manage two subwoofers, a pair of PC12-NSD would do nicely and because of the form factor, they easily come in at less than 19" depth each. I'm also thinking it may be tricky smoothing out frequency response in that room with only one sub.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 01:13 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

A single sub will have to be fairly large in order to get to the needed output for your space. If you can manage two subwoofers, a pair of PC12-NSD would do nicely and because of the form factor, they easily come in at less than 19" depth each. I'm also thinking it may be tricky smoothing out frequency response in that room with only one sub.

Great point. That's why I suggested doing the sub crawl. It really should be done before buying anything so you know where the best places for the sub/subs will be. I learned the hard way, had a sub doing next to nothing for almost two years because it was in the wrong location.  And like I posted earlier, it's a good sized space. If there is one thing I have learned between this forum and emails to PSA and SVS, if you can swing it, dual subs are almost always better than one. If not than a single good powerful sub. 

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 01:18 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

So, you think the dual PC12-NSD is better than just the single PC12 Plus?

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 01:18 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:

you think the dual PC12-NSD is better than just the single PC12 Plus?  It was suggested.  Wanted to see whay you thought.

Andrew Bush's Avatar Andrew Bush 01:19 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:

you think the dual PC12-NSD is better than just the single PC12 Plus?  want to see what you thought

steve nn's Avatar steve nn 05:34 PM 11-04-2013
A PC12+ is very close to two PC12-NSD’s basically.
Tags: Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Velodyne Optimum Series 10 Inch Subwoofer Enclosures Black
1 2  3 

Up
Mobile  Desktop