Subwoofer to match Martin Logan Black Cherry Finish plus how to calculate room dimensions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently purchased MartinLogan 40 floors and a Martin Logan 30 center channel. in a beautiful Black Cherry Finish.

Not that a perfect color match is imperative but Im focusing on ordering a subwoofer for my birthday later this month (Happy BDay to me)...What sub out there matches that Martin Logan Black Cherry finish closest?

The more I read about subs the more perplexing the subwoofer choice becomes. Sealed, ported, cylindrical, down firing, side firing, headroom etc etc

My living room is on the bottom floor is 15' 3" by 18 long with 9 foot ceilings with wood laminate floors with the viewing couch approximately 13' away from the Panasonic ZT60 TV. Adjoining the living room where the TV is set in large 10' HT cabinet on the far wall Is a 12' by 12 small dining room (about 5' behind the couch) . and on the other side of the dining room there is a 12' wide by 7' long kitchen although the cabinets in the kitchen parallel to the wall that the TV is on drop down so there is only a 3' opening between the counter top and the bottom of the cabinets between the dining room and kitchen

So when doing room size calculations to determine what kind of subwoofers I should consider what dimension are used 15x18x9 = 2430 cu ft (living room) or 15x30x9 = 4050 cu ft (Living room plus dining room)? Should the kitchen space also be considered (756 cu ft) in th equation even though the back of the cabinets separating the kitchen from the dining room create a partial wall between the kitchen and dining room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 337
The calculation includes all contiguous space. Your description of the layout is a bit confusing to me, but if the rooms are pretty much open to each other than you need to account for all of them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The calculation includes all contiguous space. Your description of the layout is a bit confusing to me, but if the rooms are pretty much open to each other than you need to account for all of them.

living room then completely open to dining room then kitchen with cabinets separating kitchen from dining room with small pass through between them
post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have the same Motion 40/30 setup in Dark Cherry and I have been looking for a matching sub as well ... HSU offer 3 subs and a mid-bass module in rosenut that seem to be the closest match in my eyes (and I've spent considerable time looking) .

I called my local audio salesman who sells both MartinLogan and Monitor Audio, wondering if the MA rosemah finish is a close match and he suggested that it is not.

Yes indeed, the ML dark cherry finish is beautiful ... When at the store ready to order the Motion 40s, my wife and I settled on the piano black because of the cost (another element of the WAF) ... When we got home and unpacked the 40s, lo and behold, they were dark cherry. We ended up splitting the extra cost with the audio store. I've subsequently added a pair of LX16s and the Motion 30 - all in the dark cherry as well.

Hopefully in a year or two I'll be able to afford the HSU VTF-3 MK4 ($898 shipped) or the ULS-15 ($1474) and my son will get my ML Dynamo 700.

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
SVS PC13 ultra

exercise room:
MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #5 of 5 Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

That HSU VTF 3 MK4 is the sub I am leaning toward as well although I am considering the other HSU VTF 15H 15" or ULS 15" subs in the same color as well although I don't know if that is just overkill
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Martinlogan Swt 1 Subwoofer Wireless Transmitter For Dynamo 700 And Dynamo 1000 Single Black , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page