Possible dual PB-1000 (in the future) or LV12R / PB-12NSD Canada - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright Here's the prices I have at the moment. I can get the PB-1000 for $528 shipped. LV12R would be $640 USD shipped Then add 20-30 bucks after conversion to CAD so around $670. There's a chance I could double up the PB-1000 down the road one day in the future at it's current price point. Or I could just do the one PB12-NSD for $780 shipped and that would be it. I thought about doing the diy thing and I'm getting a little reserved on that idea the more I get into it.

Room 3000 ft^3 (moving soon so not 100% sure) It could even be smaller. HT 70% music 30%. I don't even have a sub right now and am fairly happy with everything except I'm missing that bottom end in movies. I've read the PB-1000 and PB12 are fairly close which is surprising. I'm thinking you may just get slam with the 12". Space isn't a big concern as either sub will work.

Love to hear some thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Ed Mullen from SVS has said the PB-1000 comes in around 3db lighter than the PB12-NSD. Dual PB-1000 is a great option, but will cost you more. If you go single, the PB12-NSD is an excellent choice. I know SVS has distributors in Canada, but not sure if PSA or HSU do as they're worth a look as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. SVS is the only one with a dealer in Canada. So for most Canadians it's a good option as there are no extra costs and warranty is easier. The rythmik B stock is $540 in the US then Another $100 for shipping and taxes. So it really adds to the price.

So what's the main advantage to the PB12-NSD over the PB-1000?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
In a 3,000 cu.ft. - or smaller - room, dual PB-1000s would be a great way to go. And IIRC sonicboomaudio.com gives you 5% off your second - and subsequent - subs.

Here's what Ed Mullen had to say in this post:
Quote:
The PB12-NSD has about 50% more max output than the PB-1000 in the 18-36 Hz octave (they have similar max output in the 40-80 Hz octave). So subjectively the PB12-NSD will provide greater levels of slam/impact/pressure at higher playback levels in that size room. Whether or not you would actually realize that difference at playback levels which are 'a bit above average' is really the question you need to answer. But considering the room size (and open layout) and your main speakers (larger and bass-capable), the PB12-NSD would probably be a better overall choice.

Dual PB-1000 would also be a good choice, with considerably more headroom than a single PB12-NSD and smoother bass at more listening/gaming locations due to the higher modal density. ...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxonator View Post

So what's the main advantage to the PB12-NSD over the PB-1000?

The main advantages are a 3db gain below 30hz and better build quality.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I wish I could hear any of these subs in person! So would the dual 10's have the impact as well or just a smoother frequency response?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Hi
Did you end up making a choice?

I am in a similar situation ,similar room size,and looking at the same subs you are.

I cannot decide which way to go

Shawn
post #8 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I bought the PB-1000 and I'm happy with my choice. The price difference for myself was about $150 between the two. Got the PB-1000 a little cheaper than normal which helped the decision. If I lived in the US it would be a different story but it was going to cost $100 for shipping, duties, and taxes for the LV12R.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Paxonator -> I bought theVS PB1000 about 6 months ago.

My listening room is large, with openings to my kitchen, hallway, and one to outside plus windows that are always open to the outdoors (3 of them).  VERY hard room to pressurize. 

I mainly watch movies, sometimes music say 75-25.

The response seems very flat!  With more than enough volume for my playback levels.  On batman returns, you can feel the impact on the opening scene when the bank manager shoots the shotgun, when the bus smashes through the wall, and many other scenes.  The subwoofer can also pressurize the whole listening room.  My place is all tile and concrete so nothing vibrates except the doors and windows.

If you were to run dual... I can't see them not providing enough bass... Or impact..

I'm no expert, but I would think 2 PB1000 would provide a lot more output in the 25-80hz range, and a bit more in the under 25hz range...  I think it would be +4/+6 dB 25-80hz, and maybe +3dB 19-25hz..  Not fully sure, but I would think so.

I get these figures, because 1 vs. 1 they are almost the same in the 25-80hz.. so it would be almost double the output in that range with dual.  Under 25hz, it is about a -3 dB gap... so it should be up about +3 dB with dual.. This is what I gather.

Because most of the "kick in the chest feeling" is from 40-80hz (again I think), the 2 PBs should provide a lot more of that feeling than a single NSD...  Also you will get more wall shaking, floor vibrating, room pressure going on as you will be up +3dB in the ultra low... Again I think...

Like you mentioned, the response will be a lot smoother in all listening positions.

Not to mention, I feel less stress on each unit, and if by chance one blows (honestly I dont think possible with SVS) at least your only out half your bass? :)

Anyways, I'm just trying to help, let me know if you have questions regarding my setup, my PB1000 experience, and etc.

Hope this helps!

Smittyfit

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page