What subwoofer would be the best for me? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > What subwoofer would be the best for me?
Xenemorph's Avatar Xenemorph 06:02 AM 11-13-2013

Hi guys,

 

I'm new to the forums. I've been researching a lot on Google and almost all the links led to this website. I've done my fair bit of research, but I still cannot make up my mind.

 

 

What subwoofer would be the best for me?

PL-200, RW12D, or something else? Everyone else seems to love the Rythmik LV12R, but I also have budget in mind and I don't want to go over-kill for no reason. I'm probably going to end up getting the RC65i or RC85i (unless you guys have a better recommendation) with something more beefy for the center channel. This will all be for my HT. I don't watch much TV, so this will most likely be 80% for music, although I want it to be clear enough to where I can watch movies without the bass over-powering everything. One of my friends said I might as well get car subs as they're cheaper and meant for music. Do you agree/disagree?

 

 

(edit) Living room it will be going in is about 15x15; the only two subwoofers I can really compare anything else to is the Dual BP1204 and the one from the Onkyo HT-S9400THX package. I did find the Onkyo to be within the quality I enjoy, however, it was not powerful at all. On the otherhand, the BP1204 is fairly powerful, but (as expected for the price) has terrible quality. I'm looking for the best out of the two subs I just described, for my setup.

 

 

Thanks for your help!



madspeed's Avatar madspeed 06:11 AM 11-13-2013
Whats your budget?
Xenemorph's Avatar Xenemorph 06:18 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed View Post

Whats your budget?

 

There's no real budget, however, I would like to have an optimal ratio of quality to price, if that makes sense. Unless I'm absolutely wrong, past a point, a subwoofer will end up being too good for my small living room to where I will turn it nowhere near the loudest setting, and spending more money on one will be useless.

 

Realistically speaking, though, $200-500. I would be willing to spend more than $500 only if it will make a noticeable difference in my situation. Please also keep the speakers I will be getting in mind, or recommend others that would go better. Thanks.

 

(edit) To put it more simply, I know spending $1500 will get me a terrific subwoofer, but I just won't need it to be at that level.


basshead81's Avatar basshead81 07:42 AM 11-13-2013
I would look for a sub in the 7-800.00 range. The SVS PC12NSD, PSA XV15, HSU VTF-3 would be three worthy choices. The LV12 is great but I think you would appreciate the little extra extension and output these subs offer.
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 08:03 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
What subwoofer would be the best for me? ... Everyone else seems to love the Rythmik LV12R, but I also have budget in mind and I don't want to go over-kill for no reason. ... This will all be for my HT. I don't watch much TV, so this will most likely be 80% for music, although I want it to be clear enough to where I can watch movies without the bass over-powering everything. ... Living room it will be going in is about 15x15 ...

There's no real budget, however, I would like to have an optimal ratio of quality to price ... Realistically speaking, though, $200-500. I would be willing to spend more than $500 only if it will make a noticeable difference in my situation.
For ~$500:
- the SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped). It's well rated, and SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days.

For ~$600:
- the HSU VTF-2 MK4 (currently on sale for $529 + $67 shipping).
- the Rythmik LV12R ($589, not sure if that includes shipping).
Both are also well-rated subs.

None of these subs will be overkill in your space, but any one of them will be satisfying. smile.gif
Xenemorph's Avatar Xenemorph 08:17 AM 11-13-2013

You guys have convinced me that more expensive subwoofers are well worth it. However, now my speaker choice is looking pretty terrible, and if I improve them to match the subwoofer, I will actually go out of my budget (probably $1500 total.)

 

Would you say any of the listed subwoofers would still work well with the speakers I'll be getting (most likely the Polk at this point)? Here's my other thread if we're getting off-topic. Thanks again for your help.


eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 08:23 AM 11-13-2013
Personally, I wouldn't go with in-wall speakers but, having said that, those Polks look decent enough. Any of the subs will work fine with either set of speakers.

The key is to integrate the sub into your system and to calibrate your system properly. Don't just drop the sub into place, crank up the volume and go - that's a sure-fire way to be misled by the results.

-- Edit --
In your other thread, you wrote:
Quote:
... I could get a completely off-brand in-wall 6 speaker system ... with similar specs for $200~, the Polk for about $500~, and Klipsch for $1000~ unless I go with the lower-end models. ...

Whatever you do, don't cheap out just to get a full set of speakers right away. If all you can afford are two good speakers (in addition to the sub), start with those. Then, when money permits, add a CC speaker, and then surrounds.

Not only will you be enjoying good speakers from the start, but you won't be in a hurry to upgrade from the cheap speakers you'll probably wish you hadn't bought. wink.gifsmile.gif
Xenemorph's Avatar Xenemorph 08:48 AM 11-13-2013

Thank you for clarifying that. I'm really leaning toward the SVS PC12NSD. Would you say it's better than the three you recommended?  As I said, the price point won't be that important and since we're already past the $500 point I think the cylindrical shape is more aesthetically pleasing. Plus, the 45 day return policy on SVS sounds great.

 

And if I don't go with the Polk in-wall, what would be a better alternative? 


eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 09:35 AM 11-13-2013
I'm not familiar with the PC12-NSD but:
- by all accounts, it's a good sub;
- if it's at least as good as the "box" version PB12-NSD, you will find it very satisfying; and
- since the form-factor works for you, go for it! smile.gif

Re. speakers, AscendAcoustics.com's CMT-340 and CBT-170 speakers are well-rated. According to the System Advisor page:
- five CBT-170s will run you $688 + $84 shipping;
- three CMT-340s will run you $838 + $66 shipping. (Buy those three now, and add a pair of CBT-170s later on.)

A couple of options from Amazon.com are:
1. A pair of Polk RTiA3 speakers ($399/pr., shipped) w/ a matching RCiA6 center-channel speaker ($399, shipped). (Add another pair of RTiA3s - or a pair of RTiA1s - later on.)

2. Two pairs of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers ($127/pr., shipped) w/ a matching SP-C22 center-channel speaker ($97, shipped).

(Despite being surprisingly inexpensive, the Pioneer speakers are actually fairly well-rated.)
Kini62's Avatar Kini62 09:36 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenemorph View Post

Thank you for clarifying that. I'm really leaning toward the SVS PC12NSD. Would you say it's better than the three you recommended?  As I said, the price point won't be that important and since we're already past the $500 point I think the cylindrical shape is more aesthetically pleasing. Plus, the 45 day return policy on SVS sounds great.

And if I don't go with the Polk in-wall, what would be a better alternative? 

All of the subs recommended are really good subs for the price. The PC has some advantages IMO over the others. One being the cylinder design which is easy to place, lighter yet very durable. And one of the things I like about the SVS subs is the built in flat frequency response. It can really help if you don't have any way or want to be bothered with EQing your sub.

I have the PC12+ version so I might be a little biased. wink.gif
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 09:44 AM 11-13-2013
I think the PC12 NSD would be a great choice. Back when I was in the market I was deciding between dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus or dual PC12NSD. I really liked the look of the cylinder design, but I liked the sale price of the Outlaw. So maybe you want to consider seeing if Outlaw Audio puts on a sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I got 2 LFM-1 Plus's for $998 shipped.
spyboy's Avatar spyboy 11:07 AM 11-13-2013
B-Stock should also be considered. Many B-Stock subs are virtually perfect. When Outlaw has a B-Stock sale, the LFM-1EX, and the LFM-1 Plus's sell out quickly. I would check SVS for B-Stock, and I believe HSU sells its B-Stock at the end of each month.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62 03:30 PM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

B-Stock should also be considered. Many B-Stock subs are virtually perfect. When Outlaw has a B-Stock sale, the LFM-1EX, and the LFM-1 Plus's sell out quickly. I would check SVS for B-Stock, and I believe HSU sells its B-Stock at the end of each month.

Yep my PC12+ was an outlet model. $150 off new price, which helped me pay for shipping (no free shipping to Hawaii).
spyboy's Avatar spyboy 09:24 AM 11-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Yep my PC12+ was an outlet model. $150 off new price, which helped me pay for shipping (no free shipping to Hawaii).

Here is the link to SVS's "Outlet" where they show what B-Stock items they have on hand at any given time:

http://www.svsound.com/outlet-specials

The PB-12 NSD for $699 delivered with the full 5 year warranty is a mature product with virtually ruler flat frequency response down to 19Hz. if you were to buy it, you could add a second when funds are available.

Best Regards
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 10:05 AM 11-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

All of the subs recommended are really good subs for the price. The PC has some advantages IMO over the others. One being the cylinder design which is easy to place, lighter yet very durable. And one of the things I like about the SVS subs is the built in flat frequency response. It can really help if you don't have any way or want to be bothered with EQing your sub.

I have the PC12+ version so I might be a little biased. wink.gif

Just because it has a flat frequency response does not mean the sub will be flat once placed in room. all subs follow the same laws of physics.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62 11:27 AM 11-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Just because it has a flat frequency response does not mean the sub will be flat once placed in room. all subs follow the same laws of physics.

True but it will be better than a sub that has a bloated 30-80 hz range like many do. One reason why SVS subs don't have as much mid or upper bass output as others. For the majority of users, users that don't do any or very little EQ, it's a better trade off then a few DBS of output that probably isn't going to noticed near as much as the booming will be.
madnaxal78's Avatar madnaxal78 08:38 PM 11-16-2013
Hi There,

I have the following speakers purchased during the sale in last few weeks. i would like to know suggestions about the subwoofer. my budget is $250.
My media room is 14 ft 6 inch x 14 ft 10 inch x 9 ft

Sony STR-DH720 (Receiver)
2x Polk Tsi400 (Fronts)
1x Polk CS2 series II (Center)
4x Polk R150 (Sides and Rears)

I sa a deal at ebay about BIC PL-200 for $250 , amazon BIC F12 for $180 and at newegg PSW10 for $70. Please suggest.
Thanks
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 11:15 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

True but it will be better than a sub that has a bloated 30-80 hz range like many do. One reason why SVS subs don't have as much mid or upper bass output as others. For the majority of users, users that don't do any or very little EQ, it's a better trade off then a few DBS of output that probably isn't going to noticed near as much as the booming will be.

Thats a valid point...no doubt!
Xenemorph's Avatar Xenemorph 12:02 AM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnaxal78 View Post

Hi There,

I have the following speakers purchased during the sale in last few weeks. i would like to know suggestions about the subwoofer. my budget is $250.
My media room is 14 ft 6 inch x 14 ft 10 inch x 9 ft

Sony STR-DH720 (Receiver)
2x Polk Tsi400 (Fronts)
1x Polk CS2 series II (Center)
4x Polk R150 (Sides and Rears)

I sa a deal at ebay about BIC PL-200 for $250 , amazon BIC F12 for $180 and at newegg PSW10 for $70. Please suggest.
Thanks

 

I have pretty much the same system as yours. If it's between those, I'd go with the PL-200, from my research. That was probably what I would have got if the people on this thread didn't convince me to go with SVS.

 

That being said, you should go with the SVS PB-1000 if you have $500.


Tags: Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Polk Audio Rc65i 2 Way In Wall Speakers Pair White , Polk Audio Rc85i 2 Way In Wall Speakers Pair White , Dual Bp1204 Woofer Dual 12in Bandpass Box Illuminite Amspkr 600w Rms 1100w Pmpo , Onkyo Ht S9400thx 7 1 Channel Network A V Receiver Speaker Package , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Up
Mobile  Desktop