HT Subwoofer suggestions ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys ... So I decided to create another thread for choosing a subwoofer(s), since technically its a different kind of a speaker .. smile.gif

So basically I'm setting up a home theater room in my new house's basement, and need some subwoofer suggestions ..

I'm aiming for a 7.1 or 7.2 audio configuration, depending on which subwoofer(s) I decide on (1 or 2) .. My budget for getting these 1 or 2 subwoofers is about $1500 altogether .. This can increase, but only if its *really* needed ..

I haven't decided on an A/V Receiver yet, but Onkyo NR818 is one I see is recommended a lot .. But like I said, A/V receiver hasn't been chosen yet ..

Also, I'd like to avoid getting an amp for the subs (to manage my total home theater room budget)

So which subs should I consider for getting the maximum possible *impact* ? ... smile.gif

My home theater room has a layout like this:

V9x6L.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 475
A couple of options:
- dual PSA XV15 ($1,518.10, shipped)
- dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($1,298 + shipping; even less if you catch them on sale)
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
For maximum possible impact, I'd say dual PSA XV15 or single Rythmik FV15HP.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

A couple of options:
- dual PSA XV15 ($1,518.10, shipped)
- dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($1,298 + shipping; even less if you catch them on sale)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

For maximum possible impact, I'd say dual PSA XV15 or single Rythmik FV15HP.

They all look pretty impressive ! What tactics can I use to maybe figure out which one should I get from these, besides trying to find showrooms, and taking the time out to go there, etc. ?

How do you figure out which subwoofers are good, by just looking at the specs ? I ask because I can't for sure say which of these will respond the best with my room's dimensions ..

Also, there have been a few other suggestions too from elsewhere, which I've mentioned below ... How do the choices mentioned above compare with these (since they're all in the same rough price range) ?:

2x Hsu VTF3 mk4 subwoofers -- $1520
2x SVS PB12 NSD -- $1538
2x PSA XS15 -- $1423.10
PSA XS30 -- $1149
Dayton Audio T1504A -- $950
post #5 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Also, keep in mind that I'll be watching movies & TV shows about 70% of the time, playing games 25% of the times, and 5% for music and everything else ..
post #6 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

They all look pretty impressive ! What tactics can I use to maybe figure out which one should I get from these, besides trying to find showrooms, and taking the time out to go there, etc. ?

How do you figure out which subwoofers are good, by just looking at the specs ? I ask because I can't for sure say which of these will respond the best with my room's dimensions ..

Also, there have been a few other suggestions too from elsewhere, which I've mentioned below ... How do the choices mentioned above compare with these (since they're all in the same rough price range) ?:

2x Hsu VTF3 mk4 subwoofers -- $1520
2x SVS PB12 NSD -- $1538
2x PSA XS15 -- $1423.10
PSA XS30 -- $1149
Dayton Audio T1504A -- $950

Dual SVS PB12 NSDs would be $1449, not $1538. However, given your criteria of 'greatest impact', PB12 NSDs isn't what I would go with. For the maximum punch, I would go with a single powerful sub and place it near-field, that is, close to the listening position. Right behind the seat, or right next to it, endtable style, are prime spots for this. The Rythmik FV15HP or PSA XS30 would be good candidates for this; the Rythmik for deep bass and the XS30 for mid bass. If you have patience, the Dayton T1504a comes in a kit form which should be in stock by at the end of December. Two of those would be close to $1500 and should have significantly more impact than the XS30 or FV15HP (save for the FV15HPs deep bass advantage) and also allow for the room smoothing advantages of a multiple sub system.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm not familiar with that particular model Dayton, but the others you mention are all excellent. Below 30hz, the PB12-NSD, XV15, and VTF-3 have similar output. Above 30hz, the XV15 has the most output of the three with HSU close behind. SVS does have the flattest response of the three. SVS and PSA both have 5-year warranties whereas HSU's warranty is 2 years on the amp and 7 years on the driver. As for the other PSA models you mention, they are sealed design so will have less output down around the tuning frequency compared to their ported equivalents.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 502

A lot of great suggestions here for subs. I would probably go with the dual XV15s over the single Rythmik FV15HP only because you will have two subs to even out the bass. Now, if you were talking about almost doubling your budget then I would go dual FV15HP. 

post #9 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I agree with the above...dual XV15's will offer alot of mid bass slam. Basically the midbass punch of a XS30 but 6-7db more output around 15-20hz. Plus you will have the benifit of a smoother response that dual subs can offer.
blake18 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Seems to me that the dual PSA XV15 option is the most likable option here, so that's what I'll go with then and see what happens smile.gif

Also guys, are there any compatibility issues regarding subwoofers ? Anything at all ? I mean, assume I know nothing about setting up a home theater (which I virtually don't, really) ... Up till now, I've just stayed till LEDs/LCDs and HTiBs .. I've never before setup a full fledged home theater room all on my own, and that too without any professional help .. smile.gif

I mean, are there are power requirements to be met ? any amp/ohm rating requirement ? a/v receiver requirements ? wire length requirements ? or do they need any additional hardware besides an a/v receiver to connect to ? anything at all ? .. Because I don't want to buy amplifiers .. I just want to drive the audio using the a/v/ receiver only (not chosen yet, but probably Onkyo NR818) ..

Do they have any compatibility issues with the speakers being used maybe ?

I'm just brainstorming here for any possible issues ..

Just brainstorm if there could be anything I'm overlooking smile.gif ... I ask because returning the sub back to the retailer will be virtually impossible for me, because I'm importing this from the US via a friend .. I'm actually in asia myself, where there is not much of a market regarding specialized home theater equipment ... Very few items are available to me locally ..
post #11 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Liked: 27
The PSA sub you are looking to get has it's own amplifier so you need only to hook it or them up to the sub out on whatever avr you purchase. You should get an avr with room correction software. If you want to learn about Denon avrs head over to www.batpigworld.com Also if you want to save a few bucks you could check out accessories for less. Check out the stickys at the top of the receiver forum and read them. Above all have fun and good luck. smile.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #12 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

The PSA sub you are looking to get has it's own amplifier so you need only to hook it or them up to the sub out on whatever avr you purchase. You should get an avr with room correction software. If you want to learn about Denon avrs head over to www.batpigworld.com Also if you want to save a few bucks you could check out accessories for less. Check out the stickys at the top of the receiver forum and read them. Above all have fun and good luck. smile.gif

Good advice here. Especially the part about having fun! 

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Fv15hp Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page