Subwoofer suggestions based on room size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of building a house and along with the house comes some new equipment. I have a Denon 4311 that I'll be keeping, but I'll likely be replacing the LCR channels with either some new bookshelves or new towers. I'll also be replacing my current sub which is a Klipsch ksw-10 I've had for probably 10 years.

I'm looking for some feedback on how much sub I'm going to need to accommodate the room, which is about 26ft wide and 23ft deep (see pic below) and also opens to the kitchen. The intention next to the fireplace is the area for the tv.

I've read a lot about svs, psa, rhythmik, and hsu but I'm open to ideas. The Svs PC series is intriguing to me mostly due to the combo of performance and small footprint but I'd love to hear any suggestions. I'm trying to stick to a single sub to maximize the wife acceptance factor and the mix is about 60/40 movies to music.

image.jpg 197k .jpg file

Any recommendations so I can make sure I do this right the first time?

Thanks in advance for the help and expertise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (196.9 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Your room is well over 5000 cu ft factoring in the adjacent kitchen area also. For that kind of space; you require at least 2 of the following for adequate pressurization;

2 x PSA XV30
2 x Rythmik FV15HP
2 x SVS PB13 Ultra or PC-13 Ultra
2 x HSU VTF15H / PSA XV-15

Dual PSA subs would be cheaper than Rythmiks and SVS and I think they are 3-4dB higher than rythmiks at 20Hz if measured at 2m ground plane. If you plan spending on dual PBs; I think that's not worth it as they would give you the same performance as dual rythmiks.

I would rather get 4 x HSU VTF15H / PSA XV-15 if you are bent upon spending that much cash over dual PB13 Ultras. That I think would be the best bang for your buck and pressurize your room like hell.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks braveheart. Those setups would without a doubt produce lots of low end but which option(s) do you feel would be the most musical options when the setup is used for music?

Anyone else have any thoughts?
post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
A couple of Submersives might be worth a look too.
braveheart123 likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

A couple of Submersives might be worth a look too.

+1

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 201
With a single sub, the best you'll probably do is mediocre bass. Certainly better than nothing, but you'll likely need 2 or more to be satisfied.

How much money were you looking to spend?
post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'll also need to purchase other equipment (in-ceiling surrounds, in ceiling for master bedroom area, and new LCR) so I'd like to keep the sub budget under $1,500. The good news is I think this can be accomplished with some patience and a focus on the classifieds for slightly used sub(s). My new home won't be done until around April which gives me time to finish researching and start watching the classifieds for the right deal.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/67341-svs-pc-12-one-pair.html

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #9 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You mentioned some other rooms. Why in ceiling and not in wall? I'd look into in wall speakers. I just think they sound better.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexaschris View Post

which option(s) do you feel would be the most musical options when the setup is used for music?
Accurate response is accurate response. Speakers don't know the difference between music and movies.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve. I saw the post but incorrectly assented they were sold. As it turns out, another poster kindly PM'd me that Rythmik is in Austin TX where I live. I had no idea and am going to try to head to their office for an audition before I decide to pull the trigger on the PC12+.

I've read that SVS can be a little less than desirable for music and that the Rythmiks might be a better blend of movies/music. I'll listen to the Rythmik but won't have an opportunity to audition the PC12 for comparison. I like the small footprint of the pc12 but any thoughts on svs or Rythmik as it pertains to music playback?
post #12 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Accurate response is accurate response. Speakers don't know the difference between music and movies.

Thanks, Bill. I guess I've just read some feedback that some subs are more suited for music or HT due to ported/sealed designs. Admittedly I'm not incredibly knowledgeable in this area so thanks for your perspective.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni View Post

You mentioned some other rooms. Why in ceiling and not in wall? I'd look into in wall speakers. I just think they sound better.

The bedroom will have speakers in ceiling just because it's not super critical listening. It's mainly music when getting dressed or relaxing. I already bought some DefTech AW6500's for my outdoor zone 3 area. The only other ceiling speakers are for the surrounds in the family room. The room is very open and I can't see a great way to mount speakers on the wall. I included a picture of the floor plan and am absolutely open to ideas if you have any. I guess I could mount them on the back wall but I'm not sure if ceiling mounted surrounds more accurately placed or back wall mounted speakers behind the listening position would sound better.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page