Need Some Advice On Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So Black Friday is here and I'm looking to upgrade my sub-woofer. I had a Sony (forgot what model) and absolutely loved it till one day something inside it decided to blow up. Saw a flash of light and everything. Even had a friend try to fix it but couldn't figure out the problem. Well it's garbage now and I'm running on a spare I have and have been running it for probably a year or two now. It's a Solara Sound ASW100 and it is a heavy downgrade from my old Sony. Can't complain too much though, I got it free with my projector screen and it was there when I needed it the most.

But now I'm ready to move it along and would like something that doesn't produce a knocking sound during loud heavy bass scenes. I know next to nothing about audio components but I did a little research and right now I'm looking at a JBL ES250PBK. To me it looks good and I'm thinking it would probably be even better than my Sony was. But as I said, I don't know much about these things so I'd like to see what you guys think. Money is a factor as I'm also looking to upgrade my center speaker. Right now it's on sale at Amazon for 200 which I can do. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I would save till you can get at least an HSU STF-2. How big a room you trying to fill?
post #3 of 15 Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

The room is 18D-11½W-19½H. It's a converted one car garage.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
What is you max budget or a price range you are willing to spend on a sub?

Shawn
post #5 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

That JBL for 200 was doable. I could probably go to 300 but I might wait to buy at that point. Anything above that, I can do but it gets out of my reasonably justify zone. So 200 ideal, 300 max, willing to consider anything above but don't really want to.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Your space is pretty large. IMO, duals of any modestly-priced / -performing sub is a must. If you can't get two of the JBLs right away, consider getting one now and adding one later on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Duals, really? I never considered the space to be that big. In fact I probably sit about 12 feet away from the screen in a recliner. If I did go that route would I necessarily need a .2 receiver or would tethering the second sub to the first work just fine?

Besides that though you guys like the JBL or is it really sub par comparably?
post #8 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Your room is ~4,036 cu.ft. - that's pretty big. If you did go duals, you'd just need a y-splitter to split the subwoofer output from your AVR.

Although the JBLs should have decent output, they don't dig very deep (IIRC, they extend to ~25Hz) and they may not be the most articulate. But that's the trade-off when buying a less-expensive / less well-engineered sub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I wish I knew what the model was of that Sony, I don't think it went below 25Hz either. If that's the case the JBL probably wouldn't bother me as I wouldn't know any different. tongue.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The test results here appear to confirm that the 25Hz extension is at a -3dB variance. Sony may have optimistically rated its sub's extension to 25Hz by using a "weaker" -6 or -10dB variance.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I can't tell you how much I wish I knew what all of that meant.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if this will clear things up or muddy the waters... smile.gif ...but here goes:

+/-3dB is the variance from a test level of output within a defined range of frequencies. If a sub is rated to play "flat" from 25-150Hz +/-3dB at a given test level of output, all frequencies within that range will play at roughly the same level, with a variance no greater than 3dB louder or 3dB quieter.

Any peaks within that range will not exceed +3dB relative to the test level of output; and the extremes of the range (25Hz and 150Hz) will be at -3dB relative to the test level of output.

According to the test results I linked to, the JBL appears to play "flat" down to 25Hz (or 25Hz @ -3dB).

The Sony, possibly, was hitting 25Hz at a lower dB level / greater variance (say, 25Hz @ -6dB or -10dB), meaning that the range across which it played "flat" did not extend down to 25Hz @ -3dB (it may have been 30Hz @ -3dB or 35Hz @ -3dB).

IOW, the Sony might have hit 25Hz, but not at the same level of output as the JBL reportedly does.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^^^
Awesome explanation eljaycanuck!

post #14 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I get it. So basically one could advertise so and so number at minimum level but the curve at which they measured it at could greatly skew its true working level. Sounds like something Sony would do. Thanks for explaining that. I really know next to nothing abut audio and when it gets technical that's when you really start to lose me.

By the way I did a little looking around and I'm pretty sure the Sony sub was a 12" SA-WM500. I really liked it but evidently it wasn't that great. Go figure.

Also, not to take up too much of your time, I came across another at a really great price. BIC America F12. I saw on another thread BIC was recommended for a lower budget. If anyone had any thoughts on it I'd really like to read them. Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I suppose with enough research I could have answered my own questions. While I really don't want to spend a lot of money I've been seeing a lot of things telling me the HSU mentioned above would probably be my best bet. I might just have to suck it up and get me a real subwoofer. Sigh!
post #15 of 15 Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome explanation eljaycanuck!
Thanks. smile.gif
Quote:
I came across another at a really great price. BIC America F12. I saw on another thread BIC was recommended for a lower budget.
IIRC, the F12 is a popular budget sub. But, like all budget subs, it has its limitations.
Quote:
I might just have to suck it up and get me a real subwoofer. Sigh!
There are worse things you could have to do than get a real subwoofer... wink.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page