Low Priced Subw or Save Money for a More Expensive Subw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I am currently considering purchasing a Dayton SUB-1200. If possible, please provide advice and recommendations.

The sub will be used with 5 R-1650-W In-Wall Speakers. The R-1650-W employs a 6.5-inch polymer-cone woofer, and a 1-inch polymer-dome tweeter. Please see speakers at the following link: http://www.klipsch.com/r-1650-w-in-wall-speaker . The entire home cinema system is powered with a Yamaha AV Receiver at 7X100watts. The subwoofer is for a 4 meters by 5 meters room.

The sub is for movies. Musical Accuracy is not important. What matters is a big boom, big impact, walls shaking, chest feeling it, and just the overall impression

The Dayton sub-1200 is currently available for 109 USD at http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

I would purchase the sub-1200, but I don´t want to buy a subwoofer that isn´t really good enough for movies through large speakers just because I didn´t want to spend more cash. I´d rather get a different product, like a hard drive, because customers can buy a high quality hard drive for 109 dollars.

So is the sub1200 a good choice at 109 dollars (for movies through large speakers) or is it better just to save money for a more expensive sub such as BIC PL-200?

By the way, the BIC PL-200 was recently on sale for 250 USD.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
The sub is for movies. Musical Accuracy is not important. What matters is a big boom, big impact, walls shaking, chest feeling it, and just the overall impression

The Dayton sub-1200 is currently available for 109 USD ... I would purchase the sub-1200, but I don´t want to buy a subwoofer that isn´t really good enough for movies through large speakers just because I didn´t want to spend more cash.
4m x 5m x ?m = 13' x 16.5' x ~8' = ~1,716 cu.ft. The SUB-1200 should perform reasonably well in that space, but I doubt you'll get "big boom, big impact, walls shaking, chest feeling".

IMO, spend $499 on an SVS PB-1000. Shipping is included, and SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days.

If you're impressed with its performance, keep it.

If you're not impressed with its performance, return it. Your in-home demo will have cost you $0.
noiselisten likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 801
^ or consider a Rythmik LV12R.

As a suggestion, check out the budget subwoofer threads.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselisten View Post

The Dayton sub-1200 is currently available for 109 USD at http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

I'm afraid in order to shake your walls you'll need to spend thousands of dollars, not hundreds. I'm listening to a SUB-1200 as I type this -- it's a unit PE sent me for review -- and while it's worth a heckuva lot more than the selling price, it won't dislodge your fillings. The PB-1000 and LV12R already suggested will certainly trump it, but they should given their price. If you have the cash those are both excellent options. If you would rather spend a bit less the SUB-1500 might be something to consider. That one may give you what you're looking for.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

I agree with eljay. The 45 day trail from SVS with free shipping makes looking at the PB 1000 for $499 safe because it costs you nothing if you return it. But, also consider this, if you like it (and I'm sure you will) then you have a great sub. Then you can save up for a year or so and buy a 2nd PB 1000 to get really great bass.

And as mentioned by beeman you also have the Rythmik LV12R.

But if you want more bass and have the budget then you can look at the following:

SVS PB12-NSD at $769 shipped.

PSA XV15 at $800 shipped.

Hsu VTF-3 MK 4 for $699 plus shipping.

Outlaw LFM-1 EX for $649 plus shipping.

Each of those ID companies are worth looking at. Take some time and look over their websites, they have other subs besides the ones mentioned, and contact them with your room set up and budget and you will get a lot of good information from them. 

Another thing to think about is the Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday sales for these companies. You might be able to get a great deal that will allow you to get more for less.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 24
May I suggest save as much money as you can. I can tell you I first started with bic v1220, then bic pl-200, then svs 1 sb12-nsd, then I added another sb12-nsd, then went to 1 outlaw lfm-ex eventually adding another lfm-ex. Now I'm waiting to order 2 rythmik fv15hp. Get something that will satify the first time around.
noiselisten and bassmant like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

May I suggest save as much money as you can. I can tell you I first started with bic v1220, then bic pl-200, then svs 1 sb12-nsd, then I added another sb12-nsd, then went to 1 outlaw lfm-ex eventually adding another lfm-ex. Now I'm waiting to order 2 rythmik fv15hp. Get something that will satify the first time around.

Now that is great advice! +1  

post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 11
I litterally just went through the process you are in the middle of. I basically had no budget, looked at dual dayton sub 1200's, and thought yeah that will be an upgrade. Then I started researching on here, and reading, and reading. And then I read some more. And I kept coming back to the conclusion that I already knew, the subs I had been concidering just would not make me happy.

Having said that I just installed a dayton sub 1200 with BIC dv64 floorstands in my father inlaws theater and found it to be very pleasing. So I have a baseline on the opinon for the dayton sub 1200, and in a dual setup I am sure many will be satisfied. BUT you will wonder, and think, what if........

what if I bought one SVS PB1000.

I bought the SVS and have been blown away. SAVE UP AND BUY UP! budget woofers are just that, you are limiting yourself to boom, not bass.
noiselisten likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio Lv12r
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page