Home theater was wired for passive sub. Now how do I connect my powered sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I built my home theater about 9 years ago and ran high quality speaker wire from all possible locations in the room to the equipment closet with wall plates sporting left and right channel banana plug connectors for everything, including my subwoofer locations because at the time I had a passive subwoofer that apparently was powered by the receiver.

I recently upgraded my AV receiver and my speakers. I now have an AV receiver that has an RCA jack for each subwoofer (it supports 2 subwoofers) and my subwoofers are powered. The problem is that I have no idea if it is even possible for me to go from RCA on the AV receiver to the left and right channel banana plugs in the equipment closet and then have the signal run through speaker wire to the sub locations where it would then go from left and right channel banana plugs back to RCA for the powered sub. What are my options? Can I work something out with my existing wiring or am I going to have to run like 30-40 feet of the proper cable and just tack it to the wall?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BTW, I am just assuming that my original subwoofer was passive, all I know is that the subwoofer and the amp had a left and right channel for speaker wire for the sub and so that is how I originally wired the home theater.

P.S. I do have a coax cable (for Cable TV) that is under my screen and RG6 digital satellite cable running through the walls. Is there anyway to use that for subwoofer audio using adapters I could find at Radio Shack?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh...okay, I completely re-wrote my topic posting You know that saying about never assuming anything because it makes and ass out of u and me? Well I "assumed" that my new powered subwoofers used a single RCA jack (line level?) and they don't, they use (high level?) left / right stereo speaker inputs. All this on the heels of me having a breakthrough and figuring out what to do and buying the stuff I needed to solve what I thought was my original problem. So here is the new problem:

I have an AV receiver with a subwoofer RCA coax out (mono?) and then my subwoofer connectors in the theater are set up with speaker wire (left and right channels) with banana connector wall plates. I also have RG6 Digital Satellite cable that, once coupled, runs from the equipment closet to underneath the center of the screen. On those "cable jacks" I have coax to RCA adapters. So I can accommodate either setup but now I don't know what to do because I have a hybrid situation going on. It is my understanding that I cannot/shouldn't try and run the (line level?) subwoofer RCA audio from the AVR to (high level?) stereo speaker wire since it is not double shielded and may pick up interference or have other potential problems.

It seems that I only have two choices which are either to split the RCA coax from my AVR (assuming it is mono) to stereo and use my speaker wire that I have already running through the walls OR I can run coax (mono?) from my AVR to the digital satellite cabling and then split the signal underneath the center of the screen to left and right channels for the subwoofer. I can't think of any other option that I have. Can anyone recommend the best solution to this predicament? I am sure that has happened to a lot more people than just me.

BTW, what is the deal with this RCA one port out for the subwoofer on the AVR? Is it mono? Is it a digital audio connection that is purple instead of orange? I am confused by this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I think your previous sub is also a powered sub; but you were just using High Level (Speaker Level) inputs on it. If at all it was a passive sub; it wouldn't have an amp slapped to it.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, you are probably right. So speaker wires = "high level" and a single RCA cable = "line level"? I am trying to get this all straight.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakenedOne View Post

I I do have a coax cable (for Cable TV) that is under my screen and RG6 digital satellite cable running through the walls. Is there anyway to use that for subwoofer audio using adapters I could find at Radio Shack?
Yes, though I would not buy connectors at the Rat Shack, they are inferior quality. Try markertek.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I will check them out.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page