post #31 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Strangely enough, I own both the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30 (see my review here on AVS). These are two companies with top customer support. I use the SB13 for music only and the XS30 for movies only (in another room). They both perform exceptionally well at their tasks, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with either one. Obviously, size is a major consideration for you (otherwise you'd go with a ported design to help fill that volume), so that leaves the SB13, XS15 or the Hsu ULS-15 (another great LFE performer, and for its size it is hard to beat … as long as you don't over drive it). I've never auditioned the Rythmik, but I've heard nothing but rave comments from its owners.

Fortunately, you don't listen at reference levels (neither do I). But here's the thing: don't be surprised if you boost the volume to near reference levels not too long after you purchase it;). You have a huge volume to fill, so I also wouldn't be surprised if you magically found the room for a second sub later down the line...

Great to hear from someone with real life experience with the actual subs being discussed. Much better then the recent opinions which have been tossed around like facts. Thanks drussell. Nothing beats listening to people with hands on experience. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Strangely enough, I own both the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30 (see my review here on AVS). These are two companies with top customer support. I use the SB13 for music only and the XS30 for movies only (in another room). They both perform exceptionally well at their tasks, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with either one. Obviously, size is a major consideration for you (otherwise you'd go with a ported design to help fill that volume), so that leaves the SB13, XS15 or the Hsu ULS-15 (another great LFE performer, and for its size it is hard to beat … as long as you don't over drive it). I've never auditioned the Rythmik, but I've heard nothing but rave comments from its owners.

Fortunately, you don't listen at reference levels (neither do I). But here's the thing: don't be surprised if you boost the volume to near reference levels not too long after you purchase it;). You have a huge volume to fill, so I also wouldn't be surprised if you magically found the room for a second sub later down the line...

I just read your review...some really good information there. Some crazy posts around here in recent days...that review just reaffirmed my decision to go with the XS30. The sb13u was a definite option for me...as was the F15HP because I wanted compact...I'm coming from a ported Funk built unit but I knew if I wanted something close for HT... I'd need a larger sealed box. PSA wasn't on my radar but after speaking with Tom..I decide to go with PSA.smile.gif

Thanks again for offering up your thoughts and pointing out that review...I enjoyed it!

Regards, Bill...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #33 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Thank you for the compliment, Bill. I really think you will be quite pleased with XS30 for movie (LFE) content. I know that I'm impressed daily by it. Like all reviews and thoughts on the subject, it's a subjective opinion only. I wish you the best on your XS30 purchase!

Hopinater: Thank you for the nice compliment. It is appreciated. The one thing I've learned in all this is that there are many really terrific subwoofers being produced by various companies. It's a great time to be in HT or look for that important addition to one's music system.

===

I wish all a happy Thanksgiving!!
post #34 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I wish I had the space for the XS30....

I did email Tom from PSA to get his thoughts again on the XS15 again. He said the XS15 and sb13u will have similar extension, output, and overall sound quality. The XS15 will have a slight edge in output...about 2dB or so. Does that sound right given the following specs? I want to believe him since he used to work at SVS but know he has a business to run. Any thoughts??

SVS SB13-Ultra
- 13.5" driver
- 1000W RMS amp
- 20-460Hz +/-3dB

PSA XS15
- 15" driver
- 500W RMS amp
- 26-200Hz +/-3dB
post #35 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taje View Post

I wish I had the space for the XS30....

I did email Tom from PSA to get his thoughts again on the XS15 again. He said the XS15 and sb13u will have similar extension, output, and overall sound quality. The XS15 will have a slight edge in output...about 2dB or so. Does that sound right given the following specs? I want to believe him since he used to work at SVS but know he has a business to run. Any thoughts??

SVS SB13-Ultra
- 13.5" driver
- 1000W RMS amp
- 20-460Hz +/-3dB

PSA XS15
- 15" driver
- 500W RMS amp
- 26-200Hz +/-3dB

I really cannot comment on the XS15 since I have never auditioned it, but I did audition the SVS SB13, Hsu ULS-15 and the PSA XS30 at home. Actually, I auditioned the ULS-15 and SB13 at the same time and found the ULS-15 very impressive for movie LFE content and on par with (or ever so slightly ahead of) the SB13 (perhaps too close to call, really). I can say that the guys at PSA know their business and I'd be surprised if the XS15 isn't a solid performer and it certainly seems like an excellent value. I almost opted for the XS15, but decided to step up to the XS30 (after I decided to return the Hsu).

My advice is to audition them both. SVS has free shipping both ways, while the PSA has free shipping one way. The most you'd be out is the shipping cost back to PSA if you decide you prefer the SB13.
post #36 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
These aren't comparable subs as much as PSA would like you to think. When you factor in distortion, compression, extension, linearity, the SB13 would crush an XS15, it isn't even on the same planet. There is a reason why it costs twice as much. If all you care about is loudness, you might as well flip a coin, but if sound quality a factor at all, there is no comparison. You are comparing a commercial sub using one of the best drivers in its class to a sub that has to use all kinds of equalization as a band-aid for it's skimpy budget driver. I can't believe these two are even being compared.
post #37 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

These aren't comparable subs as much as PSA would like you to think. When you factor in distortion, compression, extension, linearity, the SB13 would crush an XS15, it isn't even on the same planet. There is a reason why it costs twice as much. If all you care about is loudness, you might as well flip a coin, but if sound quality a factor at all, there is no comparison. You are comparing a commercial sub using one of the best drivers in its class to a sub that has to use all kinds of equalization as a band-aid for it's skimpy budget driver. I can't believe these two are even being compared.

I can't speak with any authority because I haven't heard either one but I would recommend paying close attention to dsrussel since he has real world experience with the SB13 as well as the XS30 and the Hsu-ULS15. 

Just using common sense I have to say I agree with shady that the XS15 won't compare to the SB13. I find it hard to believe that it would considering the price difference. 

I also think dsrussel's idea of getting both subs in your home and comparing them is brilliant. After all, you may very well find out that you like the SB13 more but not enough more to pay the extra $850 for it. You never know.

post #38 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I can't speak with any authority because I haven't heard either one but I would recommend paying close attention to dsrussel since he has real world experience with the SB13 as well as the XS30 and the Hsu-ULS15. 

Just using common sense I have to say I agree with shady that the XS15 won't compare to the SB13. I find it hard to believe that it would considering the price difference. 

I also think dsrussel's idea of getting both subs in your home and comparing them is brilliant. After all, you may very well find out that you like the SB13 more but not enough more to pay the extra $850 for it. You never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I have 2 SB13's from when they called them the SB13+. At the time I think I paid under $1100 each. It is basically the same sub now but with the ultra name (same driver and amp, different DSP program?) and a little fancier cabinet and a + $500 price tag. I really like them, but would never pay the current asking price.

I say get the SB13 Ultra and XS30 and keep the one you like best and then report back to us about each!!

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #39 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't Jim Wilson on here test both the SB13 and XS15?

If would be interesting to hear his take.

post #40 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
I did email Tom from PSA to get his thoughts again on the XS15 again. He said the XS15 and sb13u will have similar extension, output, and overall sound quality. The XS15 will have a slight edge in output...about 2dB or so. Does that sound right given the following specs?
I remain puzzled by the fact that Tom V. compared the XS15 to the SB13-Ultra given that, on the PSA website, the XS15 is compared to the SB12-NSD, while the XS30 is compared to the SB13-Ultra.
post #41 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are reviews of each sub by the same guy:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/63016-power-sound-audio-xs15-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/62796-svs-sb13-ultra-subwoofer-review.html

I edited the links, the first set was the links to the discussions about the reviews.
Billy p and Hopinater like this.

post #42 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I remain puzzled by the fact that Tom V. compared the XS15 to the SB13-Ultra given that, on the PSA website, the XS15 is compared to the SB12-NSD, while the XS30 is compared to the SB13-Ultra.

Your puzzled by that? Here, let me explain it to you with a simple diagram:
post #43 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Here are reviews of each sub by the same guy:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/63016-power-sound-audio-xs15-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/62796-svs-sb13-ultra-subwoofer-review.html

I edited the links, the first set was the links to the discussions about the reviews.

Good info, thanks raynist.

If I had that wad of cash shady just posted I would buy another subwoofer. :D

post #44 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your puzzled by that? Here, let me explain it to you with a simple diagram ...
Tom V. comes across as smart, credible and reputable. Your simple diagram seems to suggest that he is willing to compromise his credibility and reputation - and risk hurting his company's reputation and sales - in order to make a quick buck off taje. I am no less puzzled by that.
post #45 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tom V. comes across as smart, credible and reputable. Your simple diagram seems to suggest that he is willing to compromise his credibility and reputation - and risk hurting his company's reputation and sales - in order to make a quick buck off taje. I am no less puzzled by that.

In talking with Tom I received nothing but great customer and never once felt he was trying to sell me something more expensive. He is extremely knowledegly and new a lot about my NHT speakers and how they sounded to pair a sub with. I trust he thinks the XS15 would work in my room. Yes he has a business to run but reputation and word of mouth is key to business. I doubt he would want to risk that over a quick sale.

Anyways any other thoughts? If I got both what would be the rough cost to mail a sub back to PSA?
post #46 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taje View Post

If I got both what would be the rough cost to mail a sub back to PSA?

It's best to call Tom and check, but I think the shipping fee back would be around $65 for the XS15.
post #47 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I have 2 SB13's from when they called them the SB13+. At the time I think I paid under $1100 each. It is basically the same sub now but with the ultra name (same driver and amp, different DSP program?) and a little fancier cabinet and a + $500 price tag. I really like them, but would never pay the current asking price.

I say get the SB13 Ultra and XS30 and keep the one you like best and then report back to us about each!!

I can't remember for the life of me which forum member it was but someone had both the SB13-Ultra and the XS30, he preferred the SB13-Ultra by a small margin over the XS30 for music use. But preferred the XS30 over the SB13-Ultra for movie use by a much larger margin.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #48 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I can't remember for the life of me which forum member it was but someone had both the SB13-Ultra and the XS30, he preferred the SB13-Ultra by a small margin over the XS30 for music use. But preferred the XS30 over the SB13-Ultra for movie use by a much larger margin.

It was the poster above you...he also had a uls 15 which he returned and bought the xs30 because of noises it would make at low frequencies.
post #49 of 59 Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

It was the poster above you...he also had a uls 15 which he returned and bought the xs30 because of noises it would make at low frequencies.

LOL...oh

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #50 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I just read your review...some really good information there. Some crazy posts around here in recent days...that review just reaffirmed my decision to go with the XS30. The sb13u was a definite option for me...as was the F15HP because I wanted compact...I'm coming from a ported Funk built unit but I knew if I wanted something close for HT... I'd need a larger sealed box. PSA wasn't on my radar but after speaking with Tom..I decide to go with PSA.smile.gif

Thanks again for offering up your thoughts and pointing out that review...I enjoyed it!

Regards, Bill...smile.gif

Hey Bill,

I likely wouldn't have the time to join,but if you're ever interested you could borrow my sb13 ultra for a few weeks and have fun comparing it to the xs30in your room. I'd expect the xs30 to have more SPL given the significant box size difference. But don't recall the size of your room. Love that PSA has added veneered options! They look like great value for the money.

Anyhow, if you are interested let me know and we can set up a pickup time. With 14 hour work days and 2 kids I'm spending zero time with my system the last several months!
Billy p likes this.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #51 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:

I was specifically asked by the emailer to compare these two woofs. IIRC there were strict size requirements in this instance. The XV15 and XS30 (which I had originally introduced for his room size) were both a little too large. This happens about 20x a day via email. Compare X to Z to Y.....sometime the common denominator is price, sometimes size, sometimes other. Our website charts were an attempt to match like priced products for the most part. If we get asked (vie email/phone) to compare two products quite frequently we also included that regardless of price. The 13u in the xv30 chart is an example of this.

Back to this particular instance, both of the options here(sb13/xs15)will be significant upgrades so I'm sure the OP will be quite happy either way.

Also, personal thank-you for all the support offered in this thread and elsewhere.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #52 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 AM

then it would be much easier to know what would work best within that. The generic sealed vs. generic ported doesn't tell us the real estate your wife has allotted you. If it helps, you can build a cardboard mock up and see what she thinks of the size.

pNEg 

post #53 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Hi jbrown. I own the XS30 and SB13 and I am extremely happy with both. On most music I'd give the edge to the Ultra. On certain artists the edge for the Ultra is larger and much clearer -- it really brings out the deep bass in Mike Oldfield's music, where the XS30 and Hsu ULS-15 did not. For movies, as good as the Ultra is, and it's really excellent, the XS30 goes to the next level of wall-shaking performance (as one would expect -- two 15-inch drivers vs one 13-1/2 inch driver). I'm still amazed how well the Ultra performs for movies though, considering its compact size. I do feel the Ultra may be a bit cleaner in its movie presentation, but I did not A-B compare them like I did with the Ultra and Hsu. BTW, I'd give the Hsu a very slight nod over the Ultra for movies as well (until I ran into a few minor glitches), but it was not at all easy to discern. They both were able to rattle my walls. I had a lot of paintings and other home articles that I had to silence ... and yeah, I had to silence several more with the XS30 (subwoofers are such a pain in the ...).
post #54 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel 
I was specifically asked by the emailer to compare these two woofs. ... both of the options here(sb13/xs15)will be significant upgrades so I'm sure the OP will be quite happy either way.
Thank you for the clarification.
Quote:
Also, personal thank-you for all the support offered in this thread and elsewhere.
You're welcome. smile.gif And thank you for making a lot of PSA customers happy, with both your products and your customer service. Please do keep up the good work on both fronts. cool.gif
post #55 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Hey Bill,

I likely wouldn't have the time to join,but if you're ever interested you could borrow my sb13 ultra for a few weeks and have fun comparing it to the xs30in your room. I'd expect the xs30 to have more SPL given the significant box size difference. But don't recall the size of your room. Love that PSA has added veneered options! They look like great value for the money.

Anyhow, if you are interested let me know and we can set up a pickup time. With 14 hour work days and 2 kids I'm spending zero time with my system the last several months!

Hey Steve, sounds like an offer I can't refuse...although it might need to wait until after the holidays before I take you up on that generous offer. Like you, the biggest problem around here would be fining some free time from work & kids activity schedule...lol.

I might drop Jim a line or... if he sees this post make himself available or interested in helping out, when the time comes.

Thanks again...Bill...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

post #56 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Hey Bill,

Hey Steve, sounds like an offer I can't refuse...although it might need to wait until after the holidays before I take you up on that generous offer. Like you, the biggest problem around here would be fining some free time from work & kids activity schedule...lol.

I might drop Jim a line or... if he sees this post make himself available or interested in helping out, when the time comes.

Thanks again...Bill...smile.gif

Hahah you kids. I'll help.
post #57 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi jbrown. I own the XS30 and SB13 and I am extremely happy with both. On most music I'd give the edge to the Ultra. On certain artists the edge for the Ultra is larger and much clearer -- it really brings out the deep bass in Mike Oldfield's music, where the XS30 and Hsu ULS-15 did not. For movies, as good as the Ultra is, and it's really excellent, the XS30 goes to the next level of wall-shaking performance (as one would expect -- two 15-inch drivers vs one 13-1/2 inch driver). I'm still amazed how well the Ultra performs for movies though, considering its compact size. I do feel the Ultra may be a bit cleaner in its movie presentation, but I did not A-B compare them like I did with the Ultra and Hsu. BTW, I'd give the Hsu a very slight nod over the Ultra for movies as well (until I ran into a few minor glitches), but it was not at all easy to discern. They both were able to rattle my walls. I had a lot of paintings and other home articles that I had to silence ... and yeah, I had to silence several more with the XS30 (subwoofers are such a pain in the ...).

Given how well the HSU did against the Ultra, I would think the XS15 would do just as well for movies as the specs seem to be somewhat close between the xs15/sb13u.

I am going to see if the wife will let me get both to see which one works the best because deciding between the two is tough.
post #58 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Hahah you kids. I'll help.

Ha...sounds like a plan. I'll make all the necessary plans(after the holidays...of course) with Steve & I'll give you a heads up. Fwiw...I'm out that way every Monday evening for indoor baseball training with my son once we've finalized p/up for the 13u...I'll call you and once its set up and give you direction to my place...smile.gif.

Of course...I could pack them both up and head out your way...it's your call...biggrin.gif

Cheers, Bill

post #59 of 59 Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Ha...sounds like a plan. I'll make all the necessary plans(after the holidays...of course) with Steve & I'll give you a heads up. Fwiw...I'm out that way every Monday evening for indoor baseball training with my son once we've finalized p/up for the 13u...I'll call you and once its set up and give you direction to my place...smile.gif.

Of course...I could pack them both up and head out your way...it's your call...biggrin.gif

Cheers, Bill

COOL! cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio E15hp Direct Servo Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page