HSU ULS15 vs Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 11-23-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last year I picked up NHT Absolute Towers/Two C center and the 10d subwoofer which is powered by an Onkyo 818. After living with the sub for quite some time now I wish I would have got something bigger as it way underpowered for the room, doesn't provide enough umph, and is bottoming out. I use it for 100% movies/TV and the room size; family room is roughly 25x16x10 but does have a couple openings to the kitchen which would make the room 25x24x10.

WAF is the biggest factor; which is why I got the 10d. Most of the ported options are too large in dimension which is why I narrowed it down to the HSU ULS15, Rythmik E15 and SVS SB13 Ultra. Also, I do not have enough room for 2 subs, so I have to stick to 1 unfortunately. I tend to listen and a little above medium volume; don't know the exact decibels but on the Onkyo 818 is is at volume level 62.

The price currently on the HSU is awesome, but I am nervous after reading some bad reviews of it bottoming out; similar to a problem I am having with my 10d. I can't seem to find much on the Rythmik which is I am leaning towards to SVS SB13 as it seems best suited for my needs. What do you think would be the best fit for my needs?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have two E15s, and they are great subs, but if I was going to have to select a single sub, then I would probably get the SB13.
post #3 of 59 Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 610
You might consider this Dayton Titanic 4 15" sub which is potentially more powerful than any of them and also less expensive than any of them.
post #4 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Given all the variables you presented, I'd probably go with the SB13-Ultra myself.
post #5 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I considered the svs sb13 and Rythmik F15hp but in the end I decided on the XS30 from PSA....their lack of finish options was why I opted out...I'm not a big fan of PB. Those are some nice compact subs though....smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #6 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You might consider this Dayton Titanic 4 15" sub which is potentially more powerful than any of them and also less expensive than any of them.

I am nervous about the Dayton since I can only find reviews on parts express and I haven't heard of that brand.

Can anyone comment on the HSU or Rythmik to the SVS sub for home theater use?
post #7 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taje View Post

I am nervous about the Dayton since I can only find reviews on parts express and I haven't heard of that brand.

Can anyone comment on the HSU or Rythmik to the SVS sub for home theater use?

Dayton's stuff is geared more toward the DIY crowd. You don't have to be nervous about their stuff, since they are pretty transparent about all the parts they use. Everything in that sub can be ordered individually and is documented extensively. Next to them, Rythmik does have some detailed information about their driver and amp, but Hsu and SVS do not offer very much. I would be more nervous about SVS and Hsu since you do not know nearly as much about what you are getting next to Dayton's stuff. All of Dayton's stuff is solid and no shortcuts are taken. They can't really take shortcuts because they sell all of their parts at a component level to hobbyists and connoisseurs who tend to be very technically informed, and they would catch hell from that crowd if they tried to sell janky struff.
post #8 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 671

Hey Taje, you pose an interesting question especially considering the size of your room(s). Without including your kitchen you have to pressurize 4000 cu ft. That's a large room. With your kitchen you have 6000 cu ft to pressurize. No matter how you look at it though, its a large space and you will need a powerful sub to adequately pressurize the room. 

I have a HT of 3250 cu ft with a small hall opening to the rest of the basement. When I emailed SVS and PSA about the size of the space, which is a bit smaller than yours, they both strongly suggested ported subs because they do a better job for large spaces. Now, I know that a lot of guys in the forums have sealed subs in large spaces but most of them have more than one to be able to handle the space. 

My concern is whether any of these sealed subs by itself will be able to meet your needs. But I might be wrong. I'm not trying to spend your money or steer you towards something you said you don't want, but there won't be any point in spending any money if you still don't get what you want in the end. 

Personally, I would think the least you need for your space is either dual sealed subs or a single ported sub like the Rythmik FV15HP, PSA XV15 or the XV30, SVS PB12+, PB13 Ultra or the Hsu VTF-15H (of course dual ported subs would be better but I know that's out of the question).

With the options you presented I would say go with the SB 13 Ultra myself. I also would not worry about Hsu or SVS in quality especially since SVS has a 5 year warranty and free shipping and are well known for their excellent customer service. Hsu, PSA and Rythmik are also very well respected. 

post #9 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

Hey Taje, you pose an interesting question especially considering the size of your room(s). Without including your kitchen you have to pressurize 4000 cu ft. That's a large room. With your kitchen you have 6000 cu ft to pressurize. No matter how you look at it though, its a large space and you will need a powerful sub to adequately pressurize the room. 

I have a HT of 3250 cu ft with a small hall opening to the rest of the basement. When I emailed SVS and PSA about the size of the space, which is a bit smaller than yours, they both strongly suggested ported subs because they do a better job for large spaces. Now, I know that a lot of guys in the forums have sealed subs in large spaces but most of them have more than one to be able to handle the space. 

My concern is whether any of these sealed subs by itself will be able to meet your needs. But I might be wrong. I'm not trying to spend your money or steer you towards something you said you don't want, but there won't be any point in spending any money if you still don't get what you want in the end. 

Personally, I would think the least you need for your space is either dual sealed subs or a single ported sub like the Rythmik FV15HP, PSA XV15 or the XV30, SVS PB12+, PB13 Ultra or the Hsu VTF-15H (of course dual ported subs would be better but I know that's out of the question).

With the options you presented I would say go with the SB 13 Ultra myself. I also would not worry about Hsu or SVS in quality especially since SVS has a 5 year warranty and free shipping and are well known for their excellent customer service. Hsu, PSA and Rythmik are also very well respected. 

I wish I could get a ported sub but WAF is putting that out of the question due to the size in the family room. That is why I had to narrow it down to these 3 sub's as they seemed to be the best for what I needed.

I talked with SVS and they said to go with 1 SB13 vs 2 SB12 as the SB13 would go lower and have better output.

Is there a reason why the Rythmik and HSU don't have a lot of reviews?
post #10 of 59 Old 11-24-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The Hsu has had a few reviews. I don't know of any professional reviews for the sealed Rythmiks, but I am sure they are terrific performers.
post #11 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 AM

Liked: 18
You may have better luck finding reviews on the Rythmik F15. Pretty sure that has the same amp/driver with a slightly larger cabinet.
The SVS is a no risk option as they will pay shipping both ways if you are not happy with it.
post #12 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:
I wish I could get a ported sub but WAF is putting that out of the question due to the size in the family room.

It can be done going the PR route, but that would involve ether DIY or possibly a PR option over at Funk. http://www.creativesound.ca/
http://www.funkaudio.ca/15.3_Overview.html Admittedly Funks smallest PR option might be to tall for you though. The CSS offering sports a high excursion 12” 40 pound driver dual PR in a 3 cube enclosure though. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_0033_zpsd148e350.jpg
Just a thought since you’re up against the wall considering size and wanting the benefit of vented. There are cheap/poorly designed PR routs as there are with conventional venting and sealed.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

I wish I could get a ported sub but WAF is putting that out of the question due to the size in the family room. That is why I had to narrow it down to these 3 sub's as they seemed to be the best for what I needed.

I talked with SVS and they said to go with 1 SB13 vs 2 SB12 as the SB13 would go lower and have better output.

I'm familiar with the limits inflicted by the WAF myself. Darn wives! :rolleyes: 

I wonder about only going with a single SB13 over the dual SB12s as far as smoothing out bass. Any chance of going dual SB13s? I know its a lot of money.

Have you contacted PSA and asked about the XS30 or perhaps dual XS30s? They'd be cheaper than the SB13s.

post #14 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

It can be done going the PR route, but that would involve ether DIY or possibly a PR option over at Funk. http://www.creativesound.ca/
http://www.funkaudio.ca/15.3_Overview.html Admittedly Funks smallest PR option might be to tall for you though. The CSS offering sports a high excursion 12” 40 pound driver dual PR in a 3 cube enclosure though. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_0033_zpsd148e350.jpg
Just a thought since you’re up against the wall considering size and wanting the benefit of vented. There are cheap/poorly designed PR routs as there are with conventional venting and sealed.

The Funk option would be a bit past my budget as it is almost $2k. I don't even know where to start or where to buy if I was to build a DIY box. I am not even sure I have the tools for it smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I'm familiar with the limits inflicted by the WAF myself. Darn wives! rolleyes.gif  

I wonder about only going with a single SB13 over the dual SB12s as far as smoothing out bass. Any chance of going dual SB13s? I know its a lot of money.

Have you contacted PSA and asked about the XS30 or perhaps dual XS30s? They'd be cheaper than the SB13s.

I spoke with SVS and they still recommend going with the one SB13 over 2 SB12s as it will give more output and be better in the lower frequencies. Only worry I have is if my power outlet is enough for 1000 watts as several other electronics is hooked up. I wish I could get 2 SB13's but that is out of the budget cool.gif

I will give PSA a call and see what they have to say. The XS30 is almost too big and at that size I would almost go with the XV15 since it is the same size.

I did call Rythmik and they said that the E15 wouldn't be enough from my space that I would need the FV15HP which is too big. At least I am narrowing it down cool.gif

Thanks for all of the help!
post #15 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Funk option would be a bit past my budget as it is almost $2k. I don't even know where to start or where to buy if I was to build a DIY box. I am not even sure I have the tools for it smile.gif

Not a prob, thought it worth mentioning just in case. Anyway I don’t see your budget?? Hope I’m not being redundant, just trying to tune any suggestion I might make. Many times things change as the thread moves forward.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Not a prob, thought it worth mentioning just in case. Anyway I don’t see your budget?? Hope I’m not being redundant, just trying to tune any suggestion I might make. Many times things change as the thread moves forward.

I was stretching the budget to get the one SB13 at $1600 so I don't want to go above that.

Trying to save for new speakers next year. AVS is not to friendly on the wallet and gets me in upgrade mode rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 59 Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was stretching the budget to get the one SB13 at $1600 so I don't want to go above that.

Trying to save for new speakers next year. AVS is not to friendly on the wallet and gets me in upgrade mode rolleyes.gif

I just noticed you’re going to call PSA, so see what might appeal to you over there. The XV15 would save you some $$ and it’s vented. The XS30 has the dual drive.. although great output, it’s a little larger. I guess you need to figure out what's most important to you. In a room your size I would strongly suggest output should be at the top of your list to a degree and then size, especially since you’re going with a single. Happy shopping!

EDIT> If you had the space you could do dual XS15’s since you're, or have been leaning towards sealed at less $$ or just do a single XS or XV. The XS15 you would be relying on room gain which you will have very little. This is why I would recomend the XS30 or vented option.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I spoke with Tom at PSA and he recommended the XS30 for my room but said the XS15 would work. He also said that the XS15 is about the same as the SVS SB13 Ultra. Is that true? I would assume he would know since he use to work at SVS.

If I go with the XS30, do I have to worry about which direction the the two subs face? The wife seemed to be unsure about the size of the XS30.
post #19 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
I spoke with Tom at PSA and he ... also said that the XS15 is about the same as the SVS SB13 Ultra. Is that true?
SVS SB13-Ultra
- 13.5" driver
- 1000W RMS amp
- 20-460Hz +/-3dB

PSA XS15
- 15" driver
- 500W RMS amp
- 26-200Hz +/-3dB

Are you sure he said it's the same as the SB13-Ultra? That seems a bit odd given that it's compared to the SB12-NSD on its product page.
post #20 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After living with the sub for quite some time now I wish I would have got something bigger as it way underpowered for the room, doesn't provide enough umph, and is bottoming out. I use it for 100% movies/TV and the room size; family room is roughly 25x16x10 but does have a couple openings to the kitchen which would make the room 25x24x10.

I would suggest not getting yourself in the same fix with your next purchase. All your suggestions are going to be a big advance over what you have now though. The one I would stay away from is the ULS on account of the problems with it bottoming. Yeah you can set the filter higher which has it’s merit. With the dual driver 30, no it's no issue although there might be a slight difference in response?? Only your meter can tell you that. That goes with any sub though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:

I spoke with Tom at PSA and he recommended the XS30 for my room but said the XS15 would work. He also said that the XS15 is about the same as the SVS SB13 Ultra. Is that true? I would assume he would know since he use to work at SVS.

If I go with the XS30, do I have to worry about which direction the the two subs face? The wife seemed to be unsure about the size of the XS30.

I'm not understanding that...if a vented sub is too big, the XS30 is larger than most of the vented subs you've already ruled out. If it is not too big, then for a single sub option you should be looking at vented subs to begin with. Maybe you should post the largest dimensions you would find acceptable, then it would be much easier to know what would work best within that. The generic sealed vs. generic ported doesn't tell us the real estate your wife has allotted you. If it helps, you can build a cardboard mock up and see what she thinks of the size.
post #22 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

SVS SB13-Ultra
- 13.5" driver
- 1000W RMS amp
- 20-460Hz +/-3dB

PSA XS15
- 15" driver
- 500W RMS amp
- 26-200Hz +/-3dB

Are you sure he said it's the same as the SB13-Ultra? That seems a bit odd given that it's compared to the SB12-NSD on its product page.

Yeah, I said I was looking at the SB13 Ultra on the SVS side. He said the XS30 would blow it away and the XS15 would be similar unless he thought I said SB12. I will have to confirm that .

I have it narrowed between the SB13 Ultra, XS15, and the XS30. Any thoughts on which one?
post #23 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see how the XS15 competes with either the XS30 or the SB13-Ultra. I'd remove it from the list.

And then I think I'd flip a coin between the XS30 and the SB13-Ultra. smile.gif

Actually, I like value (bang:buck) so I'd probably just go with the XS30. cool.gif
post #24 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

SB13 and XS30 are two different subs. SB13 is a matter of quality, and XS30 is all quantity. The SVS Ultra driver is a massive work of art, and probably costs as much as five Power X drivers.
post #25 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

I'm not understanding that...if a vented sub is too big, the XS30 is larger than most of the vented subs you've already ruled out. If it is not too big, then for a single sub option you should be looking at vented subs to begin with. Maybe you should post the largest dimensions you would find acceptable, then it would be much easier to know what would work best within that. The generic sealed vs. generic ported doesn't tell us the real estate your wife has allotted you. If it helps, you can build a cardboard mock up and see what she thinks of the size.

Looks like the XS30 is out of the question....

The biggest I could go is 18w x 20d x 19h which puts be back to smaller sealed subs.
post #26 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

That leaves you with "just" the 17.4" x 17.4" x 17.4" SB13-Ultra. There are worse things in life than ending up with that sub.wink.gifsmile.gif
post #27 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That leaves you with "just" the 17.4" x 17.4" x 17.4" SB13-Ultra. There are worse things in life than ending up with that sub.wink.gifsmile.gif

+1 The sub itself is much more sophisticated along with the amp as it should be considering price. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #28 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Is the SB13 going to be that much better than the XS15?

I know the comparison on the PSA website might be the best; but the CEA 2010 ratings give a slight edge to the XS15 over the SB13 (have to look at the XS30 page). Only reason I ask is the XS15 is half the price vs the SB13.

Also do I have to worry about the power draw on the SB13? I have the Onkyo 818 on the same outlet as the sub will be.
post #29 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The comparisons on the PSA site are mendacious and utterly worthless. The XS15 is in no way, shape, or form in the league of the SB13. There is a very good reason for the greater cost of the SB13.

You do not have to worry about the power draw of the SB13, it won't trip the circuit with a 818 even with both at peak output.
post #30 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

Last year I picked up NHT Absolute Towers/Two C center and the 10d subwoofer which is powered by an Onkyo 818. After living with the sub for quite some time now I wish I would have got something bigger as it way underpowered for the room, doesn't provide enough umph, and is bottoming out. I use it for 100% movies/TV and the room size; family room is roughly 25x16x10 but does have a couple openings to the kitchen which would make the room 25x24x10.

WAF is the biggest factor; which is why I got the 10d. Most of the ported options are too large in dimension which is why I narrowed it down to the HSU ULS15, Rythmik E15 and SVS SB13 Ultra. Also, I do not have enough room for 2 subs, so I have to stick to 1 unfortunately. I tend to listen and a little above medium volume; don't know the exact decibels but on the Onkyo 818 is is at volume level 62.

The price currently on the HSU is awesome, but I am nervous after reading some bad reviews of it bottoming out; similar to a problem I am having with my 10d. I can't seem to find much on the Rythmik which is I am leaning towards to SVS SB13 as it seems best suited for my needs. What do you think would be the best fit for my needs?

Thanks!!

Strangely enough, I own both the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30 (see my review here on AVS). These are two companies with top customer support. I use the SB13 for music only and the XS30 for movies only (in another room). They both perform exceptionally well at their tasks, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with either one. Obviously, size is a major consideration for you (otherwise you'd go with a ported design to help fill that volume), so that leaves the SB13, XS15 or the Hsu ULS-15 (another great LFE performer, and for its size it is hard to beat … as long as you don't over drive it). I've never auditioned the Rythmik, but I've heard nothing but rave comments from its owners.

Fortunately, you don't listen at reference levels (neither do I). But here's the thing: don't be surprised if you boost the volume to near reference levels not too long after you purchase it;). You have a huge volume to fill, so I also wouldn't be surprised if you magically found the room for a second sub later down the line...
Billy p and Hopinater like this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio E15hp Direct Servo Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page