AVS Forum banner
3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hopinater 
#1 ·
[Sorry about the cross-post. I just saw the note that subwoofer questions were supposed to be directed here.]

I have an all Definitive system:

ProMonitor 800 x4

ProCenter 2000 x1

ProSub 800 x1

All powered by a Denon 3312ci

It has performed flawlessly since I bought it about two years ago and it has been the source of much satisfaction.

I think my ProSub 800 has just died. Here are the symptoms:
  1. About a week ago, we were awakened by a hum from the system which came and went through the night. None of the components in the system was powered on.
  2. Through the past week, the hum kept coming back intermittently independently of whether the system was powered on.
  3. Since the hum seemed to come from the ProSub, I figured I probably had a bad RCA cable. I exchanged it for a new one. With the new cable, there seems to be no response from the ProSub.
  4. The red LED does not come on when the rest of the system is turned on. If I pull the AC power plug then plug it back in, the LED comes on, but there is no sound from the ProSub.
  5. I tried running the system through the Audessey setup. Audessey does not see a subwoofer and no sound comes from it during setup.
  6. I tried running an old CD player through the RCA input to the ProSub to see if I could get any response. No joy.

Does my diagnosis seem correct?

Can anyone think of anything else to try?

I just checked my original documentation and it says that I am covered on electronics for three years and any other defect for five years. Has anyone had experience with Definitive warranty service?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Burt

See less See more
#2 ·
The only advice I can offer is to take advantage of the warranty, don't do anything that might void it. According to Def Tech, a local dealer will probably perform the service, so you should be in good hands. Contact the company and get the ball rolling, that's my suggestion.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1501300/bad-definitive-prosub-800#post_24027448

The only advice I can offer is to take advantage of the warranty, don't do anything that might void it. According to Def Tech, a local dealer will probably perform the service, so you should be in good hands. Contact the company and get the ball rolling, that's my suggestion.
I agree with imagic. Take advantage of your warranty and let them fix the sub saving yourself the time, energy and money. 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.