Budget Sub - Dayton or EmpTek? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a sub to finish off my HT setup.

I don't want to spend more than $300 total, and I have narrowed it down to dual Dayton Audio SUB-1200 ($218 shipped) or the EmpTek ES1010i ($249 shipped).

The use is 95% HT and 5% music.

The size of the room is pretty much irrelevant because I am military and move every few years (so the room size constantly changes).

I can deal with the appearance of the daytons, but will have to admit the ES1010i looks pretty awesome.

I prefer deeper/louder bass, and I am leaning toward the dual daytons. Additionally, the ES1010i were certified by one of the other forums for "small rooms", which concerns me.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone has experience with either, or preferably both of these, and could help me out.

I hesitate to list what my current setup is, because I know it is going to stir up quite a bit...but the sub would be paired with the Klipsch RF-83 Speaker System (minus the sub) hooked up to a Pioneer SC-1222. I want to emphasize that I got an amazing deal on both the speakers and the receiver (all new cost me less than $2300). I honestly just want to fill in the low end, and don't want to spend more on a subwoofer than I did for any of my mains (it's my personal preference and I know some won't agree).

Additionally, between car stereo installation, working as a DJ for years, and the stuff I have done in the military, my hearing is pretty shot. I don't have the "ear" to hear a huge difference between what I have, and my friends HTIB setup (you could say that my setup is wasted on me). I am mostly asking for the benefit of others who watch movies with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I currently have a Dayton SUB-1200 for review, which I'm actually listening to as I type this. Personally, I think it's one heckuva value, but if you really want "deeper/louder bass" you'll need to spend quite a bit more than your current budget. For the price, though, I think the SUB-1200 would be very hard to beat.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

That is the same conclusion that I keep coming back to, either spend $200 (dual daytons) or $600. From reading everyone's reviews, there just doesn't seem to be much in the middle of those prices ranges that provides a huge cost/benefit.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 409
To an extent, I would agree with you. A few other potential options you may wish to look into are the SUB-1500 and the BIC PL-200.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I personally would go with the dual Daytons. They are great subs for the money. Dual Dayton Sub-1500s would be even better if you could swing it.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I know you said $300 max BUT check out:

The Black Friday Sale on the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus for $499 shipped. Its an all down firing sub with a -2db point of 18hz. I have 2 of them and they sound amazing for the price. Plus they make a good end table.

Shawn
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Dayton sub1200 on sale at parts-express.com for $109 and today use the 10h code to get $10 off for black friday. If you buy 2 I think there is a code for $20 off purchase over $200.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Emp Tek Es1010ib Powered Subwoofer , Pioneer Sc 1222 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page