SVS PB-12 Plus is lacking bass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi

Ive got a SVS PB-12 plus in my basement which originally was to replace my Velodyne VDR10.

The only issue i have is that i can hear and feel the Velodyne louder and harder than the SVS.

How is this even possible, a 12 inch 800 rms woofer vs a 10 inch 200 watt woofer. There must be something wrong here

I have a Yamaha RXV1900 with a Velodyne SMS-1.

The SVS guy told me that the Velodyne is a fake bass and that the SVS is much more true.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
The SVS guy is probably right. The Velodyne was likely all harmonic distortion. It might have seemed louder, but it was all noise garbage, and not true to the signal. The SVS will have a far higher fidelity to the original sound, and will be much more powerful besides. A couple things I would recommend to get stronger bass- try different spots for the subwoofer, if you can. Placement makes a big difference in the sound of the subwoofer with respect to the listening position. Put the sub in as many different spots as you can and play back a sweeping test tone like this one. It helps to have a SPL meter to record the values here. If you really want accuracy, use a SPL meter in conjunction with REW.

Also, if you want string bass, just run the sub hot. You might hike it up by 6 dB in the receiver's LFE output. In addition to that, run the sub with all ports open, that will give you the most headroom. Make sure the sub's amp settings are geared for all ports open if you do that. To get more out of your sub, you can also raise the crossover point. Most systems automatically crossover at 80 Hz, but you can go a lot higher. It does make the sub more localizable, but the sub will definitely be louder. Try 100 Hz, 120, 150. This is not commonly advised, but you may prefer the sound of a higher crossover.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
If you have no measuring gear then do the sub crawl. I highly doubt the Velodyne is all fake bass..they make decent subs. Sounds like a placement issue.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
mmm something is off, need more info though? I would suppose it’s placed where your velo was??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

yes the subs were placed directly beside each other pointing towards the listener on the right hand side.

I do notice that the base is a little distortiony, but when i have my volume at -20 on the receiver theres not alot of air movement from the ports aswell.

Could it be that my Yamaham subwoofer out signal is a low signal, my velodyne is hooked up to the out on my SVS which is then connected to my SMS-1

Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you try a Y on the back of your SVS or hook it up to the SMS. Yes I have seen Yam’s having problems with the SW-out over the years. Nothing recently though that comes to mind.
EDIT> It is hooked up to your SMS. Try hooking up the SVS directly to your yam and be sure your SW trim is around -4 to start out with.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
You have the SVS and Velodyne running side by side? That really negates the clean output of the SVS sub. Get rid of the Velodyne, it makes the SVS nearly pointless to have.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

no i placed them side by side to test the difference.

My svs is in the corner beside my front right speaker and the velodyne in beside the listening position for added bass.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay1988 View Post

if you place a functional sub next to a non-functional sub the sub that's not working will act as an acoustic 'sponge', soaking up some of the output of the working sub. The only way to fairly test subs in-room is one at a time, after performing room response correction.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The SVS PB12-Plus is a beast so this definitely sounds like a placement and/or setup issue to me. Not all subs work best in the same spot in any given room so a sub crawl is in order. Also, ensure the levels are matched as the gain varies from sub to sub.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay1988 View Post

My svs is in the corner beside my front right speaker and the velodyne in beside the listening position for added bass.

flip the phase switch 180 on the Velodyne see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Just hook up the PLUS and get that thing runnin!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Yamaha Rx V1900 Receiver , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone