Dayton SUB-1200 or SUB-1500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really been looking at these two subs and after watching a few videos of people using these subs, I'm fairly impressed with the air they can move! Now my question is this...is the 2Hz lower response gained by the SUB-1500 worth the doubled price tag? Anyone have experience with both of these models and care to comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you get a slightly more powerful amp with the 1500. I'm guessing this translates to higher spls throughout the frequency range. I don't have any data to back this up but i'm sure someone else will chime in

My HT: Onkyo 818, polk m60 Hsu HB1-MK2, HC1-MK2, svs pb12+/2, svs pc13
post #3 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post

you get a slightly more powerful amp with the 1500. I'm guessing this translates to higher spls throughout the frequency range. I don't have any data to back this up but i'm sure someone else will chime in

I'm hoping some other people do...looking to pull the trigger on one of these for Christmas.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinbassplyr View Post

I'm hoping some other people do...looking to pull the trigger on one of these for Christmas.

Looking to do the same, price is great right now on Parts Express.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have dayton 1200 and klipsch rw 12.i own dayton for about a uear already and i can say it is a very good sub for the money. I only use it for movies not in music and i really like the bass on movies. Its worth all the money.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #6 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

I have dayton 1200 and klipsch rw 12.i own dayton for about a uear already and i can say it is a very good sub for the money. I only use it for movies not in music and i really like the bass on movies. Its worth all the money.
Does the SUB-1200 not sound good for music? Music is 90% of my listening experience so that's kind of crucial lol.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the SUB-1200 not sound good for music? Music is 90% of my listening experience so that's kind of crucial lol.
I am not sure about music. I never try it. I'm not a music lover. I'm a movie guy. Sorry

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #8 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

No subwoofer that sells for $109 can realistically be expected to be 'musical', so if that's your main goal you'll have to up your budget substantially and look elsewhere. I'm listening to one as I type this message -- I have it for review -- and while it's amazing for the price, it's not really musical.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

No subwoofer that sells for $109 can realistically be expected to be 'musical', so if that's your main goal you'll have to up your budget substantially and look elsewhere. I'm listening to one as I type this message -- I have it for review -- and while it's amazing for the price, it's not really musical.
Well, it's got to be a step up from the Sony SA-W2500 I currently use. Trust me, if it would fit I'd have pro live audio (like EAW or high end JBL) speakers in my home. How big of a frequency band are you trying to get it to cover? I usually cross my subs over around 60Hz, not way up in the 100Hz arena like many mid bass people do. Where is your review at?
post #10 of 17 Old 11-28-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How big of a frequency band are you trying to get it to cover? I usually cross my subs over around 60Hz, not way up in the 100Hz arena like many mid bass people do.

80Hz.

Quote:

Where is your review at?

I haven't written it yet, so it's not available at the moment. When I do publish it you'll be able to find it here (my screen name is theJman).

post #11 of 17 Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on the SUB-1200. The $109 sale price plus the $10 off promo code was too good to pass up!
post #12 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on the SUB-1200. The $109 sale price plus the $10 off promo code was too good to pass up!
Congrats on your new sub. Let us know how you like it when you get it. Btw that's a good price for a nice decent sub.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #13 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Btw that's a good price for a nice decent sub.

That was my thought exactly. People were already saying these were good "budget" subs and when I could get it for "under" $100 I just couldn't pass it up. After watching a video of a guy using two of them in his dorm and seeing how much air they can push and getting an idea of how they sound (while playing music) I was sold on one.
Bigsky HiFi likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I do not have enough good to say about my SUB-1200, I can't believe I only paid $100 for it! It has such a smooth response to it (vs the peaks and valleys the Sony SA-W2500 had) and it sounds great for music as well as movies. I HIGHLY recommend this sub and can only imagine what the SUB-1500 sounds like!
post #15 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM

My Sub-1500 arrived today. Just got done hooking it up and for the 10 minutes I got to play with it before my wife was ready to throw things at me, I have to say I'm impressed for the small cost of this thing. Can't wait to fire up the bluray!

I have to say, the sheer size of this thing is massive, another reason my wife wants to kill me, lol!

More to come later, as I get acclimated with my new toy wink.gif
post #16 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're feeling the wrath of your wife, eh? You chose wisely then. smiley-devil02.gif

post #17 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

So you're feeling the wrath of your wife, eh? You chose wisely then. smiley-devil02.gif

Oh yeah I am! She keeps glancing at it and then looking over at me with the glare of death.

Just to put the cherry on the sundae tonight since she's already in a wonderful mood, I threw in Transformers while she was throwing a load of clothes in the wash and almost vibrated our paintings and pictures off the wall. This thing definitely hits low, at least for my untuned ears. The sub probably needs to break in a bit but first impressions are favorable, the lows were smooth and I didn't detect any muddiness with music, listened to some EDM and rock and it gave a nice clean low finish. After that I watched some scenes from Transformers 1 & 2 and The Dark Knight, I immediately noticed the intensity of the scenes and some sounds I never heard before prior to having this sub hooked up. My previous lower response came from a pair of Infinity OVTR-2's with built in powered 6.5" subs.

I know this can't compete with the higher end offerings and I never expected it to but for what I paid, I'm pretty impressed so far as I don't think anything for under $200 is going to blow this away and it honestly sounds like something you would pay more for. I'm sure this thing can't compete in the over $400 range but for what it costs it can probably hold it's own in the under $400 arena. Can't wait to do some more tweaking when I'm off on Friday.

I just wish we didn't have to share a common wall with a neighbor, that's what hampering me from building out what I really want to do but I'll save that for the next house wink.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page