Two Sub-Woofers and one 7.1 Receiver Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Harmon Kardon 3650, which is 7.1 system. I bought a used Polk surround speaker set that included a powered sub-woofer. I already had a powered sub-woofer, but wanted the other speakers to upgrade my system. So now I've got an extra powered sub woofer and I've got a newbie question. Can I hook up my two sub-woofers in parallel so the one signal from my receiver drives both? Should I - does having the second sub-woofer buy me anything in sound quality? FYI, I can separate one sub-woofer toward the front of my room and place the second near the back. FYI, my room is octagonal shaped and it measures 19' from flat wall to t flat wall. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220 View Post

I have Harmon Kardon 3650, which is 7.1 system. I bought a used Polk surround speaker set that included a powered sub-woofer. I already had a powered sub-woofer, but wanted the other speakers to upgrade my system. So now I've got an extra powered sub woofer and I've got a newbie question. Can I hook up my two sub-woofers in parallel so the one signal from my receiver drives both? Should I - does having the second sub-woofer buy me anything in sound quality? FYI, I can separate one sub-woofer toward the front of my room and place the second near the back. FYI, my room is octagonal shaped and it measures 19' from flat wall to t flat wall. Thanks.

In most circumstances you will reap a benefit from using two subs. If they are relatively similar in capability, you definitely want to use them both. Positioning them for maximum effect is a bit of a complex issue. It'll help if you could post some info about both subs.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
All you need is a Y cable like this. Most 7.2 receivers have an internal Y cable so it wouldn't be any different.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH25-Y-Adaptor-Cable/dp/B00005T3G9/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1385915981&sr=8-15&keywords=subwoofer+Y+cable

Afro GT
post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, thanks for the help.

Imagic, I've got one Velodyne 10" VX-10B and one Polk 10" PSW10 sub-woofer. Both have low pass freq. adjustments (Velodyne:n50-200Hz, Polk: 80-160Hz), volume control, and a 0-180 phase toggle switch. Can you give me any guidance on setting the two up so the play nice with each other?

Afrogt, thanks for the Amazon link.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 3650 Audio Video Receiver , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page