AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Chest pounding bass SVS, Ryhtmic, HSU, or some other brand? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1503524-chest-pounding-bass-svs-ryhtmic-hsu-some-other-brand.html)

brutal0101 12-04-2013 03:22 AM

I currently have the Outlaw LFM-1 EX and I am not satisfied with its loudness, clarity or depth. I want something substantially better than this. My number on requirement is that I should be able to feel its thump in my chest and want it to be cleaner sounding and deeper than the LFM-1 EX. What would be my best bet close to $1500 or would one HSU VTF-15H suffice since it appears to be the cheapest upgrade.

KidHorn 12-04-2013 03:27 AM

For under $1500, your best bet is probably the rhythmik FV15HP. If you can spend a little more, another option is to get 2 PSA XV15's. The former will give you more at < 20Hz, but the 2 PSA's will give you a more even room response.

The sub you currently have is very good. Have you considered placing it in another location?

rnatalli 12-04-2013 04:02 AM

You could just add another.

joe801 12-04-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0101 View Post

I currently have the Outlaw LFM-1 EX and I am not satisfied with its loudness, clarity or depth. I want something substantially better than this. My number on requirement is that I should be able to feel its thump in my chest and want it to be cleaner sounding and deeper than the LFM-1 EX. What would be my best bet close to $1500 or would one HSU VTF-15H suffice since it appears to be the cheapest upgrade.
coming from owning 2 lfm-ex. Your chest thumping problem is placement, and if you plugged the ports or not. What's the size is your room? I had 1 set up in the left corner of my room. And it provided enough punch to feel it in your chest and couch. Then added a 2nd later.

BeeMan458 12-04-2013 05:23 AM

...^^^ +1
Quote:

What are you doing to EQ you subs and have you downloaded and installed a freeware copy of REW? The reason I ask, if you don't know already, the cheapest upgrade is properly integrating subwoofers one has, into their room acoustics.

basshead81 12-04-2013 05:33 AM

I would buy another sub since one sub can not smooth any room modes, download a freeware copy of REW, purchase a measuring mic(umm-6 or umik-1), and properly integrate the subs into the room.

Bill Fitzmaurice 12-04-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

You could just add another.
+1. That gets another 6dB of output and with correct placement it will be more than that, by smoothing room modes.
OP, look at the SPL capabilities listed here:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems&type=0

Add 6dB to the LFM-1 EX numbers to see what two will do. Compare that figure to what other single subs are capable of. Few are capable of doing what two LFMs will do, and those that do you either can't afford or you have to build yourself.

Luis5150 12-04-2013 06:28 AM

I would add another LFM-1 EX, it is the more "cost effective" upgrade in your case.

DualMono 12-04-2013 06:49 AM

dominguez1 on replacing his Outlaws LFM1-EXs with a Rythmik FV15HP.

flickhtguru 12-04-2013 08:11 AM

Brutal I completely agree with what most of the other posters are saying. #1 its all about the room and the placement of the sub and the listening position #2 its about multiple subs not just for added SPL but for equalling the bass around the entire room... Trust me 2 well placed LFM-1 EX's will give you the bass you desire and will be the cheapest way to go. I own 2 of the LFM-1 Plus's and have both of them in max extension mode with 1 port plugged and my room isn't sealed and I get the chest pounding couch shaking bass you are talking about.

pokekevin 12-04-2013 08:17 AM

Definitely try placement! How big is your room? I have a pretty large family room 5000cuft ish and thought the LFM1EXs did well (had duals originally than went to quads)

derrickdj1 12-04-2013 08:19 PM

Two Chase SS 18.1 and a Berhinger I Nuke 3000 DSP amp will hit you in the chess for around $1300.00 is also an option. The subs can get loud..

brutal0101 12-05-2013 11:11 AM

My living room is massive and runs into the kitchen. There is only two spots where I can put the subwoofer. Either the corner of the room (where it is right now) or in the middle. I don't think the Outlaw is loud or clean enough so i don't wanna add another of the same. Clean bass is also important to me. What do you guys think of the SVS PB-12-PLUS or I can possibly spend a little more on the PB-13 Ultra. Is the PB-12 Plus a lot better than dual Outlaws, HSU VTF-15h or Rythmik FV15?

BeeMan458 12-05-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Is the PB-12 Plus a lot better than dual Outlaws, HSU VTF-15h or Rythmik FV15?

No. Check out the first two posts in the ULF thread and while there, check out the spreadsheets in post number one.

-

shadyJ 12-05-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

No. Check out the first two posts in the ULF thread and while there, check out the spreadsheets in post number one.

Referring to the ULF thread as a guide to overall subwoofer performance is very misguided. If you are going to start making recommendations based on the ULF thread, than it has already caused more harm than any good it can do.

pokekevin 12-05-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

My living room is massive and runs into the kitchen. There is only two spots where I can put the subwoofer. Either the corner of the room (where it is right now) or in the middle. I don't think the Outlaw is loud or clean enough so i don't wanna add another of the same. Clean bass is also important to me. What do you guys think of the SVS PB-12-PLUS or I can possibly spend a little more on the PB-13 Ultra. Is the PB-12 Plus a lot better than dual Outlaws, HSU VTF-15h or Rythmik FV15?

I have had dual and quad LFM1EXs and felt they were loud but not always the "cleanest". Have you considered Rythmik's subs? My friend has dual E15s and I loved the SQ!

Hopinater 12-05-2013 04:04 PM

Brutal I know you said there are only two locations for your subwoofers but if those two spots are bad locations and don't allow for good bass then it may not matter how many subwoofers you buy or how powerful they are because nulls are nulls and if the bass waves are canceling each other out then the sub may need to be moved.

I suggest doing the sub crawl just for kicks so you can at least know where the best locations for your subwoofers are in your room. Then take the sub you have and move it to the best spot and see what type of bass you get. If it's good then at least you know that it's not subwoofer problem but a location problem. 

If it's a subwoofer problem then you would know if buying a 2nd EX might be a good option or whether you should start looking at something like dual FV15hps.

If it's a location problem then that opens a whole new can of worms. But at least you won't waste your money. 

As a final note, from your description of your room I think no matter what you discover two subwoofers might be needed. 

Bill Fitzmaurice 12-05-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

My living room is massive and runs into the kitchen. There is only two spots where I can put the subwoofer. Either the corner of the room (where it is right now) or in the middle. I don't think the Outlaw is loud or clean enough so i don't wanna add another of the same. Clean bass is also important to me.
First, if it's going to work a sub has to go where it has to go. And if your room is massive that in and of itself explains your problem. As for other choices being 'cleaner', I doubt it.

derrickdj1 12-06-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

I have my HT in a large room and was happy with some 12 in. subs and a 15 in. sub in the room but, it was still lacking. I got bigger subs and, there is no way one sub is going to give you even bass across the room and give you what you are looking for.

brutal0101 12-11-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks for your help guys but again my question is which of the following would be my best bet: Rythmik FV15HPs, PB12-Plus, VTF-15h I can possibly spend a little more but unlikely if the following will be substantially better: PB13-Ultra or Dual VTF-15h
What I like about SVS is the reviews they have got on their website and their free return shipping policy, their build quality is also amazing but what I care about the most is performance.

madhuski 12-11-2013 10:17 AM

My last two subs were the outlaw EX and the VTF-15h (which is my current sub)

Both are in the same spot (corner loaded ) and set up the same (xt 32, inc the channel level 3.0 points afterwards)

Subjectively, there was a noticeable improvement in the SQ. I previously had a pc12-nsd which I loved, but had to go because of form factor. Compared to it, I thought the outlaw always sounded "boomy". The vtf-15 had that clean, tight sound that I thought the svs had, and with my listening habits, more than enough bass.

BeeMan458 12-11-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your help guys but again my question is which of the following would be my best bet: Rythmik FV15HPs, PB12-Plus, VTF-15h I can possibly spend a little more but unlikely if the following will be substantially better:

After many months of agonizing, I put an order in for a pair of FV15HPs because all my research showed, in their price point, these subs to be the best at "everything." In my opinion, to best what a pair of FV15HPs are capable of, I would have to double or triple our budget and go for a pair of JTR S2s and we don't have that kind of budgeting money.

After we have the FV15HPs dialed in to match the acoustics of our living room, if I find it necessary, we will add a third FV15HP and three FV15HPs are far more affordable than three S2s.

-

Hopinater 12-11-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help guys but again my question is which of the following would be my best bet: Rythmik FV15HPs, PB12-Plus, VTF-15h I can possibly spend a little more but unlikely if the following will be substantially better: PB13-Ultra or Dual VTF-15h
What I like about SVS is the reviews they have got on their website and their free return shipping policy, their build quality is also amazing but what I care about the most is performance.

FWIW I would go with the FV15HPs as my first choice and then it's a toss up between the PB12+ and VTF-15h, both of which would be great. You have three good options, hard to go wrong with any of them. Enjoy. :)

derrickdj1 12-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

After many months of agonizing, I put an order in for a pair of FV15HPs because all my research showed, in their price point, these subs to be the best at "everything." In my opinion, to best what a pair of FV15HPs are capable of, I would have to double or triple our budget and go for a pair of JTR S2s and we don't have that kind of budgeting money.

After we have the FV15HPs dialed in to match the acoustics of our living room, if I find it necessary, we will add a third FV15HP and three FV15HPs are far more affordable than three S2s.

-

Great choice!!!! Enjoy the boom, lol.

BeeMan458 12-11-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Great choice!!!! Enjoy the boom, lol.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Still waiting on UPS to give us their demands so they'll release the subs they're holding hostage. Nothing since the sixth of December. The FBI is on stand-by for when the ransom call comes in. tongue.gif

brutal0101 12-12-2013 01:12 AM

Just found out about this new company PSA on this forum. What do you guys think about this sub:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15

Its SPL ratings are amazing considering the price. A step up would be:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30

flickhtguru 12-12-2013 03:38 AM

If you look at Kid Horn's reply (the first reply) he mentions about the PSA XV-15's. PSA seems to be where all the talk has been centerered around lately. Its 2 former employees of SVSound that started the PSA company. Their products are very good for the price and are highly regarded. If I was interested in buying new subs right now I'd either be checking on the XV-30f or the XS-30.

BeeMan458 12-12-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Just found out about this new company PSA on this forum. What do you guys think about this sub:

It's a highly regarded company with excellent customer service that has nothing but positive comments from those who have purchased subwoofers from PSA. Any mechanical problems are immediately and professionally dealt with and the staff (including the owner) are tops when it comes to conscientiously dealing with customer questions and dealing with user problems.

What are you wanting is a sub? Do you have a budget? What are the 3D measurements of your room. How deep do you expect to go? How loud do you expect the bass to get?

+1 on the above recommendation: "XV-30f or the XS-30."

For various and many reasons, I would be recommending a pair of the above.

(disclosure: I do not own PSA subwoofers)

If I were to buy PSA subwoofers, I would want three or four XS30s but I have neither the room, nor the budget. A suggestion would be to check out the first couple of posts in the ULF thread. Another suggestion would be to check out the official PSA thread. Ask the guys who post there what their personal experience is with PSA subs and PSA's customer service and what they think of staff and owner.

-

Billy p 12-12-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15

Its SPL ratings are amazing considering the price. A step up would be:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30

I currently have Svs SB13u on hand and will soon be comparing it to a PSA xs30 when it arrives. This will make me understand better what level they're on vs. reading those graphs. For the record I won't be testing these sub outdoors on a open ground plane but within the cozy walls of living room were it really counts for me!

Take care and good luck...on whatever route you decide...Bill

BeeMan458 12-12-2013 05:56 AM

My suggestion is to check out the Official PSA thread. This way one can interact with the guys who have/use PSA products and have/used customer service; speaking to staff and owner in the process.

"ALL" of their products are well received by people who have put their money down. Stop by the PSA thread and there, one can interact with those who have purchased PSA products.

-