Subing a Pioneer for better bass. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks in no small part to this forum I've decided to up my audio on my new television.

This will be going into my family room which is roughly 11' X 17'+

I've jumped the gun a little by purchasing a Yamaha RX-V673.

I'm currently planning to buy the Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 set. The reviews I've read suggest if there is a particular weak point in the system it is the subwoofer. Bass seems important to me. I really want to feel movies if I can.

Is there a subwoofer that would work well with the Pioneer speakers as a substitute and provide better bass?

Call me cheap if you must but I'd like to keep the subwoofer near the $100 mark of the pioneer but I'm willing to come up to $200 if that will make a real difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Liked: 40
Unfortunately quality bass cost a lot of money...but for a $200 budget probably the best option is the Bic F12. Check out the budget subwoofer thread to see if any great sales are going on that would bring something better within your budget.
DwayneKnight likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You do know you can purchase the towers, surrounds, and center and not pay for the sub.
DwayneKnight likes this.

Randy
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

Unfortunately quality bass cost a lot of money...but for a $200 budget probably the best option is the Bic F12. Check out the budget subwoofer thread to see if any great sales are going on that would bring something better within your budget.

I agree with 2K, good bass is expensive and great bass even more so. On the bright side you have a small to medium size room which means there is not a lot of space to pressurize (unless you have an open floor plan and your room is not closed off to other rooms in the house).  

As 2K said the Bic F12 is a pretty good choice at the $200 price range. If you really want to stick near the $100 budget the Dayton Sub 1200 is around $110 at parts express. And if you wanted to venture into the $300 range you could consider the Outlaw M8.

I don't actually own any of these but I have heard some good things about them in the threads. But I would do a search here in the forums on them to get a good idea what people think of them. 

FWIW I would consider stretching my budget as far as possible to get the best subwoofer you can afford. A good subwoofer is a worth while purchase for great music and HT experiences.

DwayneKnight likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2888 Post(s)
Liked: 4547
$200 gives you a number of decent options to try. One idea is Dayton's recently-released SUB-1500. It's a big brother to the SUB-1200 and costs $200. Here is a thread by someone who bought one, you might ask how they like it.
DwayneKnight likes this.

Mark Henninger
Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice.

I think I will pull the trigger on the BIC F12 tonight.

I ran across the Onkyo SKW204 for $129 which looked interesting.

I've made up my mind but I can't help but be curious what difference there would be between the two in every day use?

Can't try everything though.

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

ransac

I understand that much or that little.

Tags
Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver