Subs or bass traps in the room corners? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I have no experience with room treatments and I'm in the process of ordering some - including floor to ceiling corner bass traps. Currently, I have three subs placed optimally using RTA, one is in a corner.

Should I maximize corner traps by pulling the sub out and filling the corner with absorption, then reposition the subs? Or leave the sub in place and not trap that corner? Is there a general rule, like "Fill the corners with bass traps and let the subs fall where they may"?

I guess I'm wondering if placing the bass traps will cause the room modes to change enough that I will need to find new places for the subs anyway?

I know I can just order a bunch of corner bass traps and see which way works best, but I'm trying to avoid wasting any money and tossing corner traps in the trash smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I have no experience with room treatments and I'm in the process of ordering some - including floor to ceiling corner bass traps. Currently, I have three subs placed optimally using RTA, one is in a corner.

Should I maximize corner traps by pulling the sub out and filling the corner with absorption, then reposition the subs? Or leave the sub in place and not trap that corner? Is there a general rule, like "Fill the corners with bass traps and let the subs fall where they may"?

I guess I'm wondering if placing the bass traps will cause the room modes to change enough that I will need to find new places for the subs anyway?

I know I can just order a bunch of corner bass traps and see which way works best, but I'm trying to avoid wasting any money and tossing corner traps in the trash smile.gif

You might want to consider a getting a consultation from a professional calibrator/acoustician—simply because you already have so much invested—BTW that's a fine system you have there.

There are too many location and preference-specific variables to offer a simple answer. Do you have measurement and analysis tools? You say you already did RTA for the current placement, so I'm guessing you do. You'll have to find your own answer to some of those questions, through testing and listening.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input. Yes I have measuring gear, but having never measured a room before and after bass treatments puts me at a disadvantage.

My thinking is to acoustically eliminate(as much as possible) all the corners I can and then optimize the subs. But what I don't know is if placing a sub in a corner works well from a FR standpoint, is that a superior solution to a bass trap?

Or better yet, if you were to go into a room with several subs to optimize them, and there were bass traps floor to ceiling in all corners, would you remove a trap to see if a sub corner location would give a better result?
post #4 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:

Probably not, since bass traps tend to be ineffective in the subwoofer range anyway. Technically they should be called mid-bass traps, as they function mainly in the 100-300Hz region. I'd take extensive in-room measurements to make sure something's broken before trying to fix it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:

Thanks for the input. Yes I have measuring gear, but having never measured a room before and after bass treatments puts me at a disadvantage.

My thinking is to acoustically eliminate(as much as possible) all the corners I can and then optimize the subs. But what I don't know is if placing a sub in a corner works well from a FR standpoint, is that a superior solution to a bass trap?

Or better yet, if you were to go into a room with several subs to optimize them, and there were bass traps floor to ceiling in all corners, would you remove a trap to see if a sub corner location would give a better result?

You've got so much displacement with twin S2s, you can do pretty much whatever you please in terms of placement—but if you are somehow hurting for dBs, corner loading will provide a boost. It seems like you should go for smoothest response. I hope one of the resident bass gurus notices this thread and chimes in.

Update—I see Bill did chime in, just as I typed that!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

As Mark said a consult would be a good idea. GIK will provide you with free consultation but of course, their goal is to sell you room treatments.

Bill's comment about bass traps lines up with my experience. I have 5" panels on my back wall and they do nothing for the low bass frequencies. I remember Keith Yates telling me that I would need 5-6' eek.gif (or more) of acoustic material to absorb the lowest frequencies. You are better off adjusting positions of the subs and or LP and maybe some EQ than effectively trapping <80hz frequencies.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #7 of 79 Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks all for the feedback. I did contact GIK for advice and they pretty much said buy traps...a lot of them biggrin.gif, lol.

Bill, you motivated me to start taking some measurements which led to a long day of shuffling 4 subs around into what seemed like 3,000 positional and phase combinations. My two lesser subs are nearfield to the seating and I got some results across my seating positions that are making me very happy. Not more than a dB or 2 difference across my first row. All money seats!

These first graphs are smoothed 1/6 and were all taken at the same SPL but they are simply offset. I need to level adjust the subs a bit and these are raw graphs with no EQ, but those curves should EQ well for sure!

The three tracings are my left, middle, and right seating positions.

And of course there is the obligatory unsmoothed graphs. Sorry they're chopped off a bit. But the chopped one looks just like the unchopped ones. All peaks, no nulls which means they are VERY EQ-able.

A long day of moving subs, figured I would share the results smile.gif

BTW, that's the best seat - to - seat variability I've ever achieved in my room.
post #8 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
It sounds like the JTR / Chase mix of subs works great in your room. Your HT should sound like an IMAX, lol. I have two of the SS 18.1's stacked and a SS 18.2 pulling HT duty.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #9 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're working now. smile.gif I have attempted this 4 sub calibration several times in the past but was never able to achieve the seat-to-seat variability I have now. There was always a 10-15 dB null at 50 Hz, or some other null, that would move from seat to seat as I repositioned the subs. It was like a game of whack-a-mole!

The other attempts I gave up and pulled the CHT subs out and I've just been running the JTR's. The only good reason to have the CHT's in the mix was if they contributed to a smoother FR and/or better seat-to-seat variability.

Easier said than done though, that's for sure. But this time I nailed it. There is almost no bass variability across my seats. It's a beautiful thing. It's actually kind of weird to sweep the mic across my seating positions and not have the FR change in any significant way. I've never seen that in my room - ever. biggrin.gif
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Probably not, since bass traps tend to be ineffective in the subwoofer range anyway. Technically they should be called mid-bass traps, as they function mainly in the 100-300Hz region. I'd take extensive in-room measurements to make sure something's broken before trying to fix it.

Bill, what measurements do you think would be most helpful in identifying issues correctable with room treatments?
post #11 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The three tracings are my left, middle, and right seating positions.

And of course there is the obligatory unsmoothed graphs. Sorry they're chopped off a bit. But the chopped one looks just like the unchopped ones. All peaks, no nulls which means they are VERY EQ-able.

A long day of moving subs, figured I would share the results smile.gif

BTW, that's the best seat - to - seat variability I've ever achieved in my room.
You may get some benefit from traps, as they may help with the notch at 150Hz seen on the unsmoothed chart. But there are two issues there, the first being where do you put them to stop the reflection causing that notch, and can you hear it anyway? That's the value of the 1/6 smoothing, as it's much more indicative of what you can really hear. OTOH you've got a lot happening in the highs, telling me that you could stand to eliminate a lot of hard surfaces in the room. The good news is that it doesn't take much to stop reflections above 1kHz.

post #12 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Post removed as I see you have REW up and running.
post #13 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You may get some benefit from traps, as they may help with the notch at 150Hz seen on the unsmoothed chart. But there are two issues there, the first being where do you put them to stop the reflection causing that notch, and can you hear it anyway? That's the value of the 1/6 smoothing, as it's much more indicative of what you can really hear. OTOH you've got a lot happening in the highs, telling me that you could stand to eliminate a lot of hard surfaces in the room. The good news is that it doesn't take much to stop reflections above 1kHz.

Thanks for your comments Bill. I am going to be treating the walls at first reflections and throw some bass absorption at the areas that measure worst.

What do you think my target rt60 should be?
post #14 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Post removed as I see you have REW up and running.

Poor wording in my post. I've been measuring for years and I use REW and/or Omnimic depending on my mood or what I'm looking to accomplish.

What I meant was I've never measured an untreated room, put treatments up, then remeasured to see the changes.

Sorry 'bout that biggrin.gif
post #15 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks! I was guilty of posting off the first post and hadn't read the rest of the thread until after posting. Whoops. biggrin.gif

You have four sealed subs and you're not flat? eek.gif Good luck with your bass trap efforts.

-
post #16 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your comments Bill. I am going to be treating the walls at first reflections and throw some bass absorption at the areas that measure worst.

What do you think my target rt60 should be?
I've never bothered much with reverb times. If it's excessive it will show up as lots of response zits, and if the zits are well controlled then obviously the reverb isn't excessive.

post #17 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I was guilty of posting off the first post and hadn't read the rest of the thread until after posting. Whoops. biggrin.gif

You have four sealed subs and you're not flat? eek.gif Good luck with your bass trap efforts.

-

I know. Sucks doesn't it! Although that's not entirely accurate.

The thing is that I could be very flat in one or two seats, and that's typically the FR you'll see around here - the good seat. The problem when there is significant seat-to-seat variability is that the EQ fix for one position is not the fix for another.

My goal was not for one or two great seats before EQ, but three great seats after EQ. At least in my room, the latter is MUCH harder. The curves I posted do not look flat, but more importantly they are all the same without nulls in the sub 100 Hz region. The EQ applied to improve one position should improve them all(at least that's my theory). And it's all cuts, so headroom will be preserved.

I'll post some after EQ curves and we'll see how they look.
post #18 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Well, you can always ply the guests who sit in the non-prime seats with vodka. Three or four shots and they won't care.

Do you have any of the subwoofers positioned nearfield? If a problem of aesthetics, you can always move the sub into position for movie viewing and the rest of the time, move it out of visual harms way.

-
post #19 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, you can always ply the guests who sit in the non-prime seats with vodka. Three or four shots and they won't care.

Do you have any of the subwoofers positioned nearfield? If a problem of aesthetics, you can always move the sub into position for movie viewing and the rest of the time, move it out of visual harms way.

-

Ah, the old alcohol trick....I like it! biggrin.gif.

I have my lesser subs closer/nearfieldish.

As to bad seats, I hate it when there is a good midbass kick to the chest in a soundtrack, but only some seats get to experience it. Those folks have a big grin on their face and the seat next to them is thinking, "eh, that was nothing special".

When I start laughing because a part of the soundtrack was outrageous, I don't want people looking at me and having no idea why smile.gif.
post #20 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I have my lesser subs closer/nearfieldish.

Can you move the heavy duty subs to the nearfield position as in truth, aren't lesser subs more a fill?

Allow me to ask in surprise, that's the best XT32 could do with your room and four subwoofers? eek.gif
post #21 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you move the heavy duty subs to the nearfield position as in truth, aren't lesser subs more a fill?

Yes, they're fill, but I had to go up higher on the gains than I would have liked to fill the nulls in question. So they are actually more equal participants than I would like. But I do have a high pass filter on them before their native f3 to hopefully give them some additional headroom where I need it.

The bigger subs can't really go where the small ones are since they are in areas that I'd be concerned about the drivers. The ones I have there are down-firing. I've got rug rats to deal with. smile.gif
post #22 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:

The ones I have there are down-firing. I've got rug rats to deal with. smile.gif

Yes, curious, goopy fingers do present a problem.

(hi dad, look at what i did)

As a past father, I rarely got upset at what they did as there's no point in crying over spilled milk. I always got twisted trying to prevent milk from getting spilled. After the fact, all you can do is shrug and get on with cleaning up the mess as the milk is already out of the bottle. Good luck with that.

And good luck with this conundrum.

-
post #23 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

With my kids it would be, "Dad, we walked into the room and noticed a hole in your speaker that just happens to be my shoe size, but honest, we don't know how it happened" biggrin.gif
post #24 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM

LOL!

...biggrin.gif
post #25 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

They're working now. smile.gif I have attempted this 4 sub calibration several times in the past but was never able to achieve the seat-to-seat variability I have now. There was always a 10-15 dB null at 50 Hz, or some other null, that would move from seat to seat as I repositioned the subs. It was like a game of whack-a-mole!

The other attempts I gave up and pulled the CHT subs out and I've just been running the JTR's. The only good reason to have the CHT's in the mix was if they contributed to a smoother FR and/or better seat-to-seat variability.

Easier said than done though, that's for sure. But this time I nailed it. There is almost no bass variability across my seats. It's a beautiful thing. It's actually kind of weird to sweep the mic across my seating positions and not have the FR change in any significant way. I've never seen that in my room - ever. biggrin.gif

I know what you mean by easier said than done. Even with two identical subs, I had that problem and use autocalibration, PEQ and some other things. I finally ran MCACC 3 position calibration instead of the single MLP calibration and Bam. Everything else remained the same except to MCACC standing wave calculation. Those darn standing waves can be a cause for the uneven response. 4 subs should give you about has good as your room can get!!!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #26 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:

It was like a game of whack-a-mole!

Never thought of it like that but now that you've posted this point. tongue.gif
post #27 of 79 Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

I know what you mean by easier said than done. Even with two identical subs, I had that problem and use autocalibration, PEQ and some other things. I finally ran MCACC 3 position calibration instead of the single MLP calibration and Bam. Everything else remained the same except to MCACC standing wave calculation. Those darn standing waves can be a cause for the uneven response. 4 subs should give you about has good as your room can get!!!

I think it is about as good as its going to get. I think it would have been easier if I had four identical subs, and all likely upgrade to all JTR subs after I get room treatments. darn close. I'm debating myself now on whether I should stick with Audyssey or get the Anti Mode 2.0 Dual Core.
post #28 of 79 Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some post Audyssey Pro calibration curves

MLP

Left Seat

Right Seat
post #29 of 79 Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM

Okay? In real life (subwoofers), we're dealing with a transient response; what about that beautiful graph aren't you liking?

Not trying to be offensive (a tool) in my question/thought.....the posted graphs make me think you're being a bit OCD. confused.gif

What am I not understanding?

People have committed murder for far less than what that graph is showing. That's a "bitchin" graph. I want that graph in our room.

...eek.gif And you want room treatments? How's your waterfall? Do you have a boatload of ringing issues. With a graph that sweet I hope so. Why? So you have a rational reason for room treatments. tongue.gif

(hey honey, check out this guy's graph! that's what I want our graph to look like.)

...confused.gif

-
post #30 of 79 Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Some post Audyssey Pro calibration curves
Those are some fine-looking curves! cool.gif
Quote:
Not trying to be offensive (a tool) ...
.................. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page