<$1000 Powered Sub Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings all!

I am replacing my old theater in a box 5.1 system and am looking for a good, quality sub.  

I have been doing some research and there are a ton of options out there.  So, I was hoping to get some recommendations or just some plain good advice on choices.  I am planning on purchasing before the holidays for a family gift.

For my main speakers, I have decided on (not a hard decision, but pretty firm based on hearing them) 2x Klipsch RF-82 II Floorstanding Speakers, 2x Klipsch RS-62 II Surround Speakers, and 1x RC-62 II Center Speaker.  I have heard one of the Klipsch SW-115 subs, and it was rattling, like something was loose inside, that was off-putting, and I decided to look around.

I am looking for something under $1,000, if possible.  I would entertain using 2 subs.

Basically, it will be used 90% for TV and movies.  The other 10%, will be music and/or games.  When I want to listen to classical music, I would like the sound to be rich and warm.  If I listen to rap, I want it to hit hard, but controlled.  Of course, movies should shake me out of my chair.  :D

I know I am asking a lot, but I am hoping people with more experience and knowledge in this area can help me make a better informed decision.  It looks like I will be buying online, as most of the dealers around my area have nothing in stock anyway.

Thank you for any help or advice!

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

First off there are a lot of good options available to you within your budget and I would suggest going dual subs regardless because it will greatly smooth out your bass. Having said that, to really recommend good options for your situation we need to know the size of your HT. What are the room's measurements?

Right off the bat I would recommend looking at the the internet direct companies, you will get a lot more milage out of you dollars spent. Each of the following companies are very popular, have great customer service and are highly respected here in the forum.

PSA 

SVS

Rythmik

Hsu

Outlaw

As far as which specific subs to look at, well that really depends on the size of your room. Once we get that established we will know how much area needs to be pressurized and which subwoofers would be up to the task. :)

kmartin72 likes this.
post #3 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Dual PB-1000's would be under 1k shipped. That being said knowing the size of your room would help. smile.gif
kmartin72 likes this.
post #4 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
How big of a room are you setting your HT up in? That will weigh heavily on peoples recommendations.

Either way. I would consider SVS, HSU, PSA, Outlaw and Rythmik. Really depends on your room size. Any sub from any of these ID company's will outperform a Klipsch sub. Rythmik is in Austin...not to far from you, so you could forgo the shipping charge. Personally, I would go with Rythmik; increase you budget a bit and get the FV15HP. You'll be more than satisfied.

Other more affordable options

SVS PB/PC12-nsd $699/$749 respectively. 45 day free trial with free shipping and returns
HSU VTF3 mk4 $649 plus shipping. 30 day free trial period, return shipping charges are on you
PSA XV15 $799/$899 with out/with base. 30 day free trial period; free shipping to you, you're responsible for shipping charges if it's returned
Outlaw LFM-1 EX $650 plus shipping. 30 day free trial, again you're responsible for return shipping charges
kmartin72 likes this.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #5 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

D'oh!

Sorry, I am working on a pot of gumbo as I was typing.

We have about 800 sq ft. to work with.  I can budge on the budget as long as it isn't astronomically higher.  I'd rather start off with better than upgrade in 6 months or less.  I have to upgrade my receiver soon too.

Thanks!

post #6 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin72 View Post

D'oh!

We have about 800 sq ft. to work with.  I can budge on the budget as long as it isn't astronomically higher.  I'd rather start off with better than upgrade in 6 months or less.  I have to upgrade my receiver soon too.

Thanks!

Does it open to other rooms? Or is it a deduced HT room? If it's dedicated than any sub mentioned will be awesome. Bassheads option would be the best choice; dual subs will help smooth out room gains.
kmartin72 likes this.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
post #7 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D'oh!

Thanks!

800 sq ft or cubic feet?  

kmartin72 likes this.
post #8 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I would go with dual Hsu VTF2 mk4s or dual Rythmik LV12rs.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #9 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

800 sq ft or cubic feet?  

Square feet.  It is a vaulted ceiling, about 11.5-12 foot tall at the highest point.

The room does open to a small room on one side, about a 25 foot opening on the 40 foot long side of the room.

post #10 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to make sure that I'm getting the idea of the size of your room right because it's beginning to sound like you have a pretty large room that opens up to another smaller size room. What is the length and width of your main listening room?

And what is the length, width and height of the small room it opens to (because if the opening leading into it is 25 ft wide then it might as well be the same room as far as bass goes).

It sounds to me like we need to figure out the cubic feet of each room and add the two rooms together and that will tell us how large the area is that you need to pressurize (if I'm not missing something).

kmartin72 likes this.
post #11 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I want to make sure that I'm getting the idea of the size of your room right because it's beginning to sound like you have a pretty large room that opens up to another smaller size room. What is the length and width of your main listening room?

And what is the length, width and height of the small room it opens to (because if the opening leading into it is 25 ft wide then it might as well be the same room as far as bass goes).

It sounds to me like we need to figure out the cubic feet of each room and add the two rooms together and that will tell us how large the area is that you need to pressurize (if I'm not missing something).

Agree. It's starting to sound like you'll need to up your budget to pressurize that room. I would start with 1 Rythmik FV15HP. It's Audioholics certified Extreme for rooms 5000 cubic feet or larger. You're in TX, so it would be the cost of the sub plus tax...and gas to get to Austin. Or, if you're handy you could look into DIY.
kmartin72 likes this.

post #12 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Square feet.  It is a vaulted ceiling, about 11.5-12 foot tall at the highest point.

The room does open to a small room on one side, about a 25 foot opening on the 40 foot long side of the room.

That's humongo! Assuming 10' average ceiling height, and factoring in the opening, we're talking roughly 10,000 cubes. With that room size, I would consider dual FV15HPs at a minimum, which means you'll need to more than double your $1k budget.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #13 of 83 Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Have you considered buying used? There are some solid options in the For Sale section. Currently I see a Epik Dynasty for 600.00, a Rythmik FV15HP for 974.00 obo, and a SVS PC12 Ultra for 600.00. Also a pair of MFW15's for 600.00. One needs a new amp(turbo upgrade). Point is you could get some solid bass for cheap going the used route.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #14 of 83 Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late relies, all.  With the ice here in Fort Worth, all of the neighbors are getting cabin fever and have been coming by to visit.  I have only been in this house for 3 months or so.

I am realizing that I will need to up the budget a bit.  Let me measure the room here in a while and get exact numbers.  I eyed it and estimated, which I am horrible at.

Alternatively, I have a room that is 18'x16' with a 9' opening leading to an large hallway.  I was planning on making this into a den/gaming room for an arcade cab, console, etc.  I am thinking this may be the better option?  I only on selling this house in about a year and building from scratch, so I can build a HT exactly how I want it.

post #15 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so I spoke with a friend of mine that is a general contractor about some small changes to some of the rooms.

I can A) make the big room smaller by adding in a wall and a door, or B) go with the smaller room and either add a wall and a door to close it up.

I think I want to use the smaller room, but keep it open.  18'X16' with a 9 ft wide side room (opens into another living area), standard ceiling.  The main room has a 12' vaulted ceiling.  I will be keeping the same main speaker selections.

I have taken a look at all the advice and ideas y'all have presented, as well as the used option.

Questions:

With this smaller space, would 2 15" subs be way overkill?  Would it add to the experience or would I just be throwing money away on this setup?  BTW, I like overkill.  I can always turn them down.  :)

Any thoughts?  I took a look at all of the subs recommended and they are all way better in specs and reviews than the Klipsch.  I especially liked the Rythmik FV15HP.  That thing looks like a beast, as well as the Epik Dynasty!

Thanks!

Kelly

post #16 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

OK, so I spoke with a friend of mine that is a general contractor about some small changes to some of the rooms.

I can A) make the big room smaller by adding in a wall and a door, or B) go with the smaller room and either add a wall and a door to close it up.

I think I want to use the smaller room, but keep it open.  18'X16' with a 9 ft wide side room (opens into another living area), standard ceiling.  The main room has a 12' vaulted ceiling.  I will be keeping the same main speaker selections.

I have taken a look at all the advice and ideas y'all have presented, as well as the used option.

Questions:

With this smaller space, would 2 15" subs be way overkill?  Would it add to the experience or would I just be throwing money away on this setup?  BTW, I like overkill.  I can always turn them down.  smile.gif

Any thoughts?  I took a look at all of the subs recommended and they are all way better in specs and reviews than the Klipsch.  I especially liked the Rythmik FV15HP.  That thing looks like a beast, as well as the Epik Dynasty!

Thanks!

Kelly

I would use the small room with 2 Rythmik FV15HPs. No such thing as overkill here biggrin.gif
kmartin72 likes this.

post #17 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Your small room is still kind of large at about 2600 cu ft. When you add in the fact that you have an opening to another room (which means that other room will still come into play) then I think you still have a pretty good area that you have to pressurize for good bass.

For these reasons I don't think two 15" subs would be overkill, not at all. And the FV15hp is great subwoofer. 

kmartin72 likes this.
post #18 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM

Liked: 40
Any opening, even as small as doorway has a huge impact...only a "sealed" room can be measured by itself, anything else and you have to account for the adjoining spaces. That being said, I agree with the Rythmik recommendations. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it looks like you are planning on buying floorstanding speakers when they really won't be needed when used with good subs, so you can save yourself some money and buy the less expensive bookshelf speakers all around. And since you liked the sound of the Klipsch speakers, you could save even more money by going with similar Bic speakers. Very similar sound for about half the price you'd spend on the Klipsch.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #19 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I'd skip the Bics. Similar is not the same as "same". And interestingly it's only the Bic owners that claim they sound similar.

It's kind of like saying that a v8 mustang is similar to a Ferrari 430 Scuderia because they both have v8s.

Only the mustang owner would make this claim.
kmartin72 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #20 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I'd skip the Bics. Similar is not the same as "same". And interestingly it's only the Bic owners that claim they sound similar.

It's kind of like saying that a v8 mustang is similar to a Ferrari 430 Scuderia because they both have v8s.

Only the mustang owner would make this claim.

You're 100% correct that they won't sound identical....A lot of people prefer the Bic sound because they are a little less bright on the high end...but they have such a similar sound and design the Klipsch sued Bic for using the same design and drivers, so probably more similar than different. I have also noticed that most Bic owners HAVE heard Klipsch, but most Klipsch owners have NOT heard Bics, so they are probably stating an opinion based on experience rather than trying to justify spending twice as much as an uninformed Klipsch owner might be doing....but hey, if you've heard both and prefer the Klipsch, nothing wrong with that either.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #21 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I haven't heard the Bics. But I just checked their specs and they are more similar to the klipsch low end like the synergy line with the aluminum compression driver and front port design. This fact negates any price advantage they have over klipsch since the synergy can be had for the same or less.

The only advantage I can see in this is that Bic has a larger center available.
kmartin72 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #22 of 83 Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Good bye budget.

I am going to get two of the Rythmik FV15HP's.  I don't believe in overkill either.  lol

@Audiophile2k:  I will take a look at the Bic speakers.  I have seen some of them while I have been researching, but I didn't see any at the stores that I visited in Fort Worth, when looking.  I'll give them a listen if I can find them.  Thanks for suggesting it.

Thanks all!  I will be sure to repost when I get everything in and set up.  I am getting excited now!

post #23 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Good bye budget.

Now we are in business wink.gif
kmartin72 likes this.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #24 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good bye budget…...

…… I am getting excited now!

When large rooms and subwoofers collide the budget is usually the first casualty.

Have fun with everything, that's what its all about. 

kmartin72 likes this.
post #25 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

When large rooms and subwoofers collide the budget is usually the first casualty.

I think sanity has to go first. Otherwise the budget wouldn't be allowed to increase the way it has to increase. tongue.gif

I started out with ideas of a single subwoofer. Next I knew, I was throwing a thousand dollars at my subwoofer education. Just recently, we finally upgraded to the OP's choice.

Hope everybody gets their order in fast. Rythmik is running short of FV15HPs as right now, they've become a very popular subwoofer solution.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #26 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely be eating Ramen noodles for a while.  lol  Definitely had to throw out the budget to go with 2 subs.  From everything I have read, they are monsters.  I cannot wait!

I contacted Rythmik and they are back ordered until the end of January, but I can do local pickup.  I'll swing by when they have them in stock and pick them up in my truck since the things are huge and save the $200 is shipping, at least.  :) 

post #27 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations! I think you will be thrilled with them once they arrive.  The hard part now is the waiting. Let us know what you think of them once you get them all set up.

kmartin72 likes this.
post #28 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I will definitely be eating Ramen noodles for a while.  lol  Definitely had to throw out the budget to go with 2 subs.  From everything I have read, they are monsters.  I cannot wait!

I contacted Rythmik and they are back ordered until the end of January, but I can do local pickup.

Wow! Seven posts and you're already buying like a pro. tongue.gif Now that's what I call a short learning curve.

Congrats. Hope they come-in sooner than later.
kmartin72 likes this.
post #29 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Research is the easy part.  It is what to research that is the issue.  That's why I came here to ask all of y'all!

I am hoping so too!

post #30 of 83 Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Research is the easy part.  It is what to research that is the issue.  That's why I came here to ask all of y'all!

I am hoping so too!

I'm a slow learner. After coming here, it took me about nine months and five thousand posts to come to the same conclusion you did.

...tongue.gif
kmartin72 likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Sw 115 Front Firing Subwoofer , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page