Chase VS 18.1 Overkill? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
carter840's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone ,

I am looking at purchasing a Chase Home Theater VS 18.1. I have read a lot of the reviews on this site and also spoken with Craig at Chase (he was very helpful). I was hoping to get some members opinions on whether this subwoofer is overkill in the room I am designing. In addition to having a 18" woofer the VS 18.1 also has an extra large cabinet. I do have room for this in my home theater, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting in something that is larger (and more expensive) then I need. I would also be getting an amplifier from Chase as part of the deal I believe it would be their Sub1 Amplifier.

The room is: 13'W x 22'L x 10'H
Speakers will be: ARX A5 (Front: L&R), ARX A2-C (Center), ARX A1b (Surrounds).
AVR: Denon X2000

From what I have read this subwoofer is a very good value and true performer. I just want to make sure I am not going overboard here. For instance if I have to set the subwoofer on minimum volume the whole time because it is too powerful I worry that I am paying for extra output power that I am not going to use , but obviously have the depth of low frequency will be advantageous.

I have heard a breakdown suggested of what portion of a budget one should spend on speakers, AVR, and Sub. Can someone remind me what a good breakdown is.

Thank you
carter840 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Member
 
Rowan611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post

Hi everyone ,

I am looking at purchasing a Chase Home Theater VS 18.1. I have read a lot of the reviews on this site and also spoken with Craig at Chase (he was very helpful). I was hoping to get some members opinions on whether this subwoofer is overkill in the room I am designing. In addition to having a 18" woofer the VS 18.1 also has an extra large cabinet. I do have room for this in my home theater, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting in something that is larger (and more expensive) then I need. I would also be getting an amplifier from Chase as part of the deal I believe it would be their Sub1 Amplifier.

The room is: 13'W x 22'L x 10'H
Speakers will be: ARX A5 (Front: L&R), ARX A2-C (Center), ARX A1b (Surrounds).
AVR: Denon X2000

From what I have read this subwoofer is a very good value and true performer. I just want to make sure I am not going overboard here. For instance if I have to set the subwoofer on minimum volume the whole time because it is too powerful I worry that I am paying for extra output power that I am not going to use , but obviously have the depth of low frequency will be advantageous.

I have heard a breakdown suggested of what portion of a budget one should spend on speakers, AVR, and Sub. Can someone remind me what a good breakdown is.

Thank you

No such thing as overboard biggrin.gif

You'll run Audyssey on the X2000 and it will set the 18.1 up for you. After that, you can manually adjust more or less bass through the receiver (I'd leave the amp volume alone). More is better. Trust me.

HT: Denon 3808ci | NAD T763 L/C/R | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | 24" THT | Bash 300S | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | Oppo 103 | PS4 | X1
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Elite Pro 111 | PS3
2 Channel: Yamaha R8 | Cambridge Audio D500SE | Klipsch Heresy HBR
Rowan611 is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Member
 
Bigotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bigger you can go initially the better. Many of us have spent thousands upgrading to be satisfied, I have. I've got 2 SS 18.2's and an amp on order from Chase, looking forward to hearing them.
Bigotis is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Get the most you can afford.
rnatalli is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Agreed.

Iv gone from a pro sub 600 to a lv12r to dual fv15hps

I'm very content with the dual fv15hps..

The only advice id have is to go duals.. even if it means buying 2 slightly smaller/cheaper subs and maybe raise total budget .

It will be worth it in the end IMO

Yamaha rxv373
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cbm 340se rear ss.
Rythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
newc33 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

Bigger you can go initially the better. Many of us have spent thousands upgrading to be satisfied

^^^ This is good advice. The forums are littered with a lot of guys who have upgraded multiple times and wish they had just bought the right sub from the start. 

 

As newc33 said, dual subs are usually considered better than running a single because it smooths out the bass across the listening positions.

Hopinater is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 159
It is not overkill since the room is long and you have a descent amount of space to fill. I have an SS 18.2 and a pair of stacked SS 18.1's. They are great subs. I power them with a Berhinger that will give you a lot more flexibility than the Dayton or Sub 1 amp. Either way, all should be good. Look at the Chase post on the Berhinger I Nuke DSP amps.
derrickdj1 is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
carter840's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in the chase owners thread too, but can you explain why I might want to go with these different amplifier? Will settuo be much more difficult and are you recomending the 3000 or the 6000?
Thanks
carter840 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post

I posted this in the chase owners thread too, but can you explain why I might want to go with these different amplifier? Will settuo be much more difficult and are you recomending the 3000 or the 6000?
Thanks

For one or two of the SS 18.1 or SV 18.1 subs the I Nuke 3000 DSP is enough. Check out the Chase forum for more info on the I Nuke.
derrickdj1 is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoJer (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 605
There is no such thing as overkill with sub's.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Confucius Say,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

There is no such thing as overkill with sub's.

biggrin.gif
Gooddoc is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - X2000 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off