Seeking sub-$1000 subwoofer recos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

Hoping you can help. We've just upgraded our home theater system with SpeakerCraft in-wall front and center and in-ceiling surrounds.

It's about time to get a real powered sub, and I'd love to hear recommendations.

The room has standard 8-foot ceilings. It's an unusual shape, kind of an upside down L.

------x (front left 6 ft from wall) --------- x (front right 14 ft from left wall, 10 ft from right wall) ----------

the sofa's about 9 feet from the wall

left side of room goes 17.5 ft back to a wall that projects in 9 ft and a hallway

right side of room is open all the way back 22 ft to the kitchen with a half wall, then a 17 foot deep x 16 foot wide kitchen.

I'm definitely up for a direct Internet vendor like Hsu or PSA. Just looking for a great sound to supplement our system.

Really appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Seems like quite a bit of space to fill so you may need to up your budget to accommodate dual subs. For $1K and less, the only dual sub option I would look at for that room is dual SVS PB-1000s for $949 shipped. SVS also had dual PB12-NSDs for $1,299 shipped recently. For a single sub option, the HSU VTF-15H, Rythmik FV15HP, PSA XS30, and SVS PC12-Plus are worth a look. You're on the right track with internet direct as HSU, PSA, SVS, and Rythmik are your best bets.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnen View Post

Hi all,

Hoping you can help. We've just upgraded our home theater system with SpeakerCraft in-wall front and center and in-ceiling surrounds.

It's about time to get a real powered sub, and I'd love to hear recommendations.

The room has standard 8-foot ceilings. It's an unusual shape, kind of an upside down L.

x (front left 6 ft from wall)
x (front right 14 ft from left wall, 10 ft from right wall)

the sofa's about 9 feet from the wall

left side of room goes 17.5 ft back to a wall that projects in 9 ft and a hallway

right side of room is open all the way back 22 ft to the kitchen with a half wall, then a 17 foot deep x 16 foot wide kitchen.

I'm definitely up for a direct Internet vendor like Hsu or PSA. Just looking for a great sound to supplement our system.

Really appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to AVS Forum! There are a lot of choices when it comes to internet direct subwoofers. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, but to get the conversation started, tell me... are you going to listen to music, movies, or a mix of both? Also, do you listen with the volume turned up, or are you more about quality at modest volume levels?

Adding a good subwoofer has a huge impact on the overall sound quality of a system, I am excited for you.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, it sounds like you have a large space that you will have to pressurize in order to get decent bass. I agree with rnatalli. I think you will need to seriously consider going dual subwoofers, if not now some time down the road.

If you do decide to go dual you could always buy one sub now to stay within your budget and save for a while and buy a 2nd sub, or you could up your budget and get both now. I suggest going ported due to the size of your room and I suggest looking at the following:

PSA XV15

SVS PB12 -NSD

Hsu VTF-3 MK4

Outlaw LFM-1EX

If you were to buy only one sub I would seriously consider upping the budget and getting the Rythmik FV15HP.

I just realized I pretty much repeated much of what rnatalli said. Oh well, I agree with his thoughts except on the XS30, I would stay with ported subs. 

Good luck and enjoy the process. It's exciting to be shopping for a new subwoofer. :cool: 

post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

@rnatalli Thanks.

@imagic Mainly movies. Mostly at moderate volume. Trying not to wake the whole fam!

@Hopinater Thanks for the recos!

post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wouldn't the Rythmik FV-15HP be kinda over kill for someone listening at moderate volume? At moderate volumes I would think the HSU VTF-15H would be tough to beat. SVS PB12 NSD has a great rep as well. I'd think using the sub near field would be best.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Wouldn't the Rythmik FV-15HP be kinda over kill for someone listening at moderate volume? At moderate volumes I would think the HSU VTF-15H would be tough to beat. SVS PB12 NSD has a great rep as well. I'd think using the sub near field would be best.

It sounds like a very a big area to pressurize so IMO I don't think it would be overkill (but we don't have the total size of the room and all areas it opens to in cubic feet so I'm just guessing, and I may have misread something).

IMO the subs you mention would be good if he was going dual. But that's just my thinking.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Xs30 , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page