I've searched the threads but I am still in need of subwoofer advice - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

The SVS PB-1000 gets my vote and should do just fine in that room.

Before setting the comment above in stone, check out the first couple of posts in the LFE thread.

Before sealing the deal, one not only has to challenge their budget but they have to have an honest discussing with themselves, what are they wanting out of the deal.

Do they just want bass that goes boom? Do the want articulate bass? Do they want movie grade or better bass that will never fail to impress?

Honest existential questions and answers will give one the most satisfying movie watching experience.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Before setting the comment above in stone, check out the first couple of posts in the LFE thread.

Before sealing the deal, one not only has to challenge their budget but they have to have an honest discussing with themselves, what are they wanting out of the deal>

Do they just want bass that goes boom? Do the want articulate bass? Do they want movie grade or better bass that will never fail to impress?

Honest existential questions and answers will give one the most satisfying movie watching experience.

I agree with everything you've said except for one point, or at least my interpretation of one point smile.gif. And that is with regards to "movie grade or better bass". I have a very modest system (certainly relative to yours) with a PB-1000 and anti-mode as the extent of my subwoofer investment and I have not been to a commercial movie theater that sounds better than my MLP in my HTR. But I do like to sit in the middle of the theatre so I suppose that may diminish what I feel in terms of bass.

I guess I interpreted your point as being that the price of "movie grade or better bass" is substantially more than what the OP has budgeted. And this is where I respectfully disagree.
post #33 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

I guess I interpreted your point as being that the price of "movie grade or better bass" is substantially more than what the OP has budgeted. And this is where I respectfully disagree.

I'm sure you've read up on reference level output, THX and what the first couple of pages in the LFE thread have to offer? And you've taken time to read though a couple of the GTG threads and what participants have had to say their visceral response was to each of the Top Dog subwoofers output?

Above and beyond having a bit of bass in their room, before chiseling their decision into stone, I only ask for one to honestly consider what their ultimate goal is.

(i'm good with someone not agreeing with my POV)
post #34 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm sure you've read up on reference level output, THX and what the first couple of pages in the LFE thread have to offer? And you've taken time to read though a couple of the GTG threads and what participants have had to say their visceral response was to each of the Top Dog subwoofers output?

Above and beyond having a bit of bass in their room, before chiseling their decision into stone, I only ask for one to honestly consider what their ultimate goal is.

Quote:

Before sealing the deal, one not only has to challenge their budget but they have to have an honest discussing with themselves, what are they wanting out of the deal>

Much of that perspective comes from comparing the performance of the new equipment to what you have been used to listening to.  I have never heard a $2,000 subwoofer.  I'm coming from the point of view of listening to an off brand budget sub for the last 18 years.  When I got my Infinity SM112 main front speakers 20 years ago they replaced speakers from the 1970s that my dad gave me and they sounded great to me.  Now I replaced them with Klipsch RF-82 ii's and the Infinitys would probably sound like **** if I went back to them.  I am sure I will be impressed by a $500-$600 sub, as long as I stay away from hearing a truly high end unit!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 65" Plasma

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #35 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I've read those threads and I have no doubt that "A top Dog" subwoofer provides an experience that is far more visceral than what I have or what the OP is considering. But I stand by my statement that if the experience one would have in a typical commercial movie theatre is the target then the PB1000 in a sealed 2500 cubic foot room can be sufficient to achieve the goal.
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #36 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
... I am sure I will be impressed by a $500-$600 sub, as long as I stay away from hearing a truly high end unit!
Yup. smile.gif

Although you can opt to buy three of the best subwoofers available today right now in one shot - it's just a matter of "Benjamins", as they say - there's absolutely no shame in upgrading from your current sub to something (moderately to significantly) better and, if/when money permits, adding a second sub (and even a third and a fourth, if you like) or upgrading again.

cool.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
I am sure I will be impressed by a $500-$600 sub, as long as I stay away from hearing a truly high end unit!

Yip! your best bet is to use the forum for advice and then ride out of Dodge and enjoy. rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #38 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

But I stand by my statement that if the experience one would have in a typical commercial movie theatre is the target then the PB1000 in a sealed 2500 cubic foot room can be sufficient to achieve the goal.

And quite possibly, you'd be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Yip! your best bet is to use the forum for advice and then ride out of Dodge and enjoy. rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Ending to "Blazing Saddles"

-
post #39 of 55 Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfgenesis View Post
I am sure I will be impressed by a $500-$600 sub, as long as I stay away from hearing a truly high end unit!

That is a wise approach and I applaud your foresight. These forums are a wonderful place to hang out and get advice but you have to be careful. It's very easy to buy something and be completely happy one day and then the next day you stumble on a thread where a couple of people criticize the very product you are so happy with and suddenly you find yourself questioning everything.

The truth of HT is this: Most of us have limited budgets (some more limited than others). Our budgets force us to make compromises which means there will always be something better that we can't afford. ALWAYS.

The secret to being happy with your HT is this: Know your budget limitations, buy the best you can based on the limitations, and then make sure you spend time enjoying what you have. ;)

post #40 of 55 Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

The truth of HT is this: Most of us have limited budgets (some more limited than others). Our budgets force us to make compromises which means there will always be something better that we can't afford. ALWAYS.

Sadly, our budget won't allow us to have a pair of JTR Cap S2s. Boo-hoo us. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

The secret to being happy with your HT is this: Know your budget limitations, buy the best you can based on the limitations, and then make sure you spend time enjoying what you have. wink.gif

^+1

Hanging out on these forums doesn't do a bit of good for one's bliss, either. tongue.gif...biggrin.gif

(maybe we can add.........just one S2.....tongue.gif)

-
post #41 of 55 Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, with some Amazon gift cards in hand I "bumped" my budget up a little and just pulled the trigger on the SVS PB12-NSD.  Here's hoping that it produces high quality bass that "I can feel"!

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #42 of 55 Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Congrats on your purchase. That is a very nice sub. I hopefully will meet your needs and desires... IF it doesn't don't be mad at the sub or anything like that, it just means when you have the funds you will have to add a 2nd PB12 NSD. I know 2 of them in your room would be great.

Shawn
post #43 of 55 Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

Well, with some Amazon gift cards in hand I "bumped" my budget up a little and just pulled the trigger on the SVS PB12-NSD.  Here's hoping that it produces high quality bass that "I can feel"!

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy the sub.

post #44 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

The sub arrived today - it is definitely a beast!  Looking forward to getting it home, setting it up, and trying to figure out what music/movie to use to put it to the test!

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #45 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice on crossover setting?  I have Klipsch fronts that get down to about 35hz, and a Pioneer A/V receiver that has x-over settings at 50hz and 80hz.  I want to take full advantage of this sub, but I don't want it to overwhelm either.

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #46 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Start with the standard 80hz and then experiment and see what works best in your room and with your ears. smile.gif Try running double bass too if your AVR supports it. Never know till you try.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #47 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
The sub should be better at producing the low bass than the RF 82. I xo my RF 7 at 80 Hz. No real audible benefit to xo lower IMHO. I also run everything set to small.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #48 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:

The sub arrived today - it is definitely a beast!  Looking forward to getting it home, setting it up, and trying to figure out what music/movie to use to put it to the test!

Congrats on your new arrival. Looking forward to your comments regarding your first impressions.
post #49 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Start with the standard 80hz and then experiment and see what works best in your room and with your ears. smile.gif Try running double bass too if your AVR supports it. Never know till you try.

How do I do that?

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #50 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

How do I do that?

Your AVR needs to have a setting that allows you to run your mains as large/full range and enable to sub for all material, not just LFE. On my AVR the setting is simply main + LFE. So my sub is getting the full range signal in music and movies + the LFE track in movies so encoded and the mains are getting the full range signal - the LFE track.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #51 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

All set up and so far I've been trying it out with some music.  Had to bring up the gain to about the 2 o'clock position and I now know what bass that you can feel in your chest is like!  The first few tracks from Rush - Roll The Bones sounded awesome.  Now I've got a lesser known band called Secret Machines going.  If you ever wanted to know what a cross between Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin might be like these guys deliver, and a little track called "Daddy's In The Doldrums" delivers some thunderous bass!

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #52 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
My only advice would be for you to enjoy it and stay away from the boards if you wish to avoid upgraditis.

Also, avoid movies with extremely deep and powerful bass. Don't want the sub to bottom out on you and you come to the realization you need bigger/more powerful subs.
post #53 of 55 Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
In general it is not recommend to use the mains + sub or double bass. The SVS should have limiters to prevent bottoming out. But, they can't control a heavy hand on the gain knob trying to get a sub to do more than it is capable of doing.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #54 of 55 Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well I watched Real Steel last night.  All I can say is that if my house had rafters, the dust would have been shaken off during those robot fight scenes.  My theater room is on a concrete slab and it felt the the whole room was shaking with waves of bass rolling over me!  

I definitely see a distinction in the bass performance between lossless audio files and DTS movie audio with this sub.  I am satisfied with how it handles both but it is definitely more ferocious on movies.  After I turned the gain up on music listening I had to turn it back down when the windows started rattling during the movie and my wife couldn't take it.

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

post #55 of 55 Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Sounds like a happy customer to me!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page