pioneer sw-8mk2 vs polk psw10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I did look but did not see a comparison between the two. Right now both sells at $100 on Amazon and hoping that you guys might be able to provide a feedback
to which is better. I already have the AJ designed Pioneer bookshelf and center speakers and thinking of getting the pioneer sub but since the PSW10 with a 10" with same
watts, would be a better choice. Though I did had a bad experience with the PSW10 when tested at best buy. I guess when testing at a store that has a larger open room,
for sure it will not perform well.

My basement is small about 12 x 16. The setup i have already sounds good watching movies with the pioneer bookshelf and center speaker. But what I noticed when doing karaoke is
you hear a speaker pop sound on some songs so I figure a sub will solve this issue. Thanks in advance for you inputs.

I apologize if there is already a comparison bet the two sub and kindly provide the link to the thread. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
SW-8MK2
- 8" driver
- 50W (continuous) amp
- 38-150Hz +/-?dB

PSW10
- 10" driver
- 50W (continuous) amp
- 40-160Hz +/-3dB

I've auditioned the PSW10 in my home. It's a decent sub for smaller spaces and moderate volume levels. But it's no great shakes. I wouldn't expect the SW-8MK2 to be much - if at all - better.

You may want to consider the well-rated Dayton SUB-1200 instead:
- 12" driver
- 120W (RMS) amp
- 25-140Hz +/-?dB
- $109 (I think shipping is ~$15 extra)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks eljaycanuck. The Dayton SUB-1200 looks like a great sub but might be overkill for my setup and small basement. I actually
have a 8 sub from the speaker company brand(remember this website?)connected to my other tv and looks similar to the Energy SW -8 and Pioneer AJ designed sub. Yes, it's not a sub that would shake the living room but I like it. Just enough bass for movie watching. But I have that TV only for that purpose. The TV in the basement are for both movies and music like karaoke and dance music. I thinking an 8 inch sub would do the job. I don't know.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
The Dayton SUB-1200 looks like a great sub but might be overkill for my setup and small basement.
Your basement space is 12' x 16'. Assuming a 7-1/2' ceiling, that's 1,440 cu.ft. No way a 120W, 12" sub is going to be overkill in that space. Especially once you've integrated it into your set-up and calibrated your system.

And if, by some miracle, it's too powerful for your needs, just lower the gain. smile.gif

Better that than a "lesser" sub that plays nicely at moderate volume levels but, every time you turn up the volume, leaves you wishing you had bought something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Powered Subwoofer Sw 8mk2 , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page