Any Experience w/ Denon Subwoofers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Denon subwoofer. I live in Japan and do not have many options that are available in the western countries. The top subwoofers on Amazon Japan are from Yamaha, Denon & Fostex. My budget is around $250. I could possibly get a discount on Denon so wanted to check on this forum. I am looking at Denon DSW-33SG or DSW-55SG. I can get 33SG for $190. Don't know the price for 55SG yet. But the difference between them are in power (80 W - 33SG vs. 110W 55SG) and frequency band (25 hz 33SG vs. 20 hz 55SG).

Also, how important is it to be able to set crossover frequency on the sub? It appears that both subs allow to set the x over freq. I have a Denon AVR 1911 receiver (and Sony SSB1000 bookshelf and center channel). We mostly watch TV and movies on the weekends plus some PS3 gaming. As regards music - we like to sample all kinds; usually use Tunein or Sony Music Unlimited for streaming.

Other information: our room size is approx 12 feet by 10 feet. (The living room opens to bed room, the bed room door / screen is always open). I am not yet sure on the size requirements of the sub. I am open to keeping the sub anywhere except near TV (no space!).

Appreciate any help!

Vee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Denon subwoofers are like mercedes benz manufacturing clothing items. They simply won't sell.
Anyway your better bet would be to go DIY route. Um sure you won't have access to the drivers suitable for DIY build either, but you can do it with car subs. Alpine Type R subs are amazing alternative and run fantastic for HT use.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Braveheart. I have been playing with the idea of DIY project, I think that could be a good option, but don't feel confident yet. I read a scary technical DIY guide posted on this forum. But I guess my question is, is the Mercedez Benz line of clothing is any good?! Have you heard any of the Denon subwoofers?

I got a chance to hear the two models yesterday at a local store. And I thought the 55SG (the larger & more expensive one) sounded quite good. Although it could also be because I like the sound track on it (sherlock holmes) better than the one playing on the smaller one (jurassic park).
post #4 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you heard any of the Denon subwoofers?

No. But the 80/110 watts (RMS/Peak) power ratings are a far cry for HT use.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

[quote No. But the 80/110 watts (RMS/Peak) power ratings are a far cry for HT use.[/quote]

Forgive my ignorance, but not sure I understand. Do you mean to say its an overkill or the opposite.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but not sure I understand. Do you mean to say its an overkill or the opposite.

That is way underpowered for movies. The real business end in movies is below 30Hz and one requires a lot of headroom, which means a lot of power to play 20dB peaks. But having said that, power is not the only thing that matters. It is one of the many requirements.

Denon sub is simply not up to the challenge.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #7 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks much! I am beginning to understand now. A quick (and careful) look at amazon (US) revealed that many subs in the $200 - $250 range have a peak power >= 400 watts. For a room of my size (12 x 8 feet) how much peak / RMS wattage can you recommend?

It's surprising that most subs in Japan in the said price range offer very low wattage.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

See if you can find Klipsch RW-12D in Japan. That should be more than enough for your room.
steve nn likes this.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #9 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If I was in Japan I would seek out JapanDave for a demo of what I should be aiming for wink.gifbiggrin.gif lol
post #10 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks braveheart. I could not find Klipsch online. Looks like I'll have to look around in Akihabara market.

@MemX, thanks for the tip!

One question: I found a Pioneer S51W sub (150 W RMS) but it does not seem to have cross over frequency control. How important is this feature?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I found a Pioneer S51W sub (150 W RMS) but it does not seem to have cross over frequency control. How important is this feature?

Not important in 99.999% of cases. Just use crossover in avr.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #12 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again braveheart. I'll update the thread if I find a sub I like.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page