A VERY expensive audition ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently ordered a sub from a internet company that is raved about on these boards. I will not name the company as I won't bad mouth a product, the company had a 30 day return policy, shipping cost was $69, after trying the sub for week in different setups and placements , I could not get it to blend with my main speakers (golden ears). so I decided to send it back at a cost to me of $89, upon receiving the sub back from me, the company told me it would take at least 2 weeks before their tech could check it out and for them to credit my card ( insult to injury), after about 2 weeks they finnally issued a credit to my card, so in summing up, it cost me $158 to audition a sub that definitely was not as advertised or raved about on these boards, so hopefully this post is for a word to the wise before they get stuck like I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Pointless thread, sorry you but you should have done more homework. The subs that people recommend in this forum. Are usually base off your budget, size room, etc, etc, etc. And are pretty much on point with a recommendation. You should have also looked into the return policy to before purchasing.
kkirsche likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Did you come to the subwoofer forum and discuss your dilemma? Getting AVRs, speakers and subwoofers to play and get along well with each other is as much art as it is science.

I understand that you've sent the sub back. What kind of troubles did you have? What did you do to EQ your subwoofer system?
post #4 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Remember your room plays a big part in how a sub sounds. If you have a hard time integrating a quality sub or any decent sub as a matter of fact into a system, it's the room or as likely the settings.
post #5 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

Pointless thread, sorry you but you should have done more homework. The subs that people recommend in this forum. Are usually base off your budget, size room, etc, etc, etc. And are pretty much on point with a recommendation. You should have also looked into the return policy to before purchasing.
I understand that I will get flamed for this thread ( by the same people who hype these subs) yes I did my homework, by reading these boards and not realizing that these products were being hyped here, I did not expect to send sub back, I am just trying to get people not to make the same mistake I made, so go ahead, flame away..
post #6 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

I understand that I will get flamed for this thread ( by the same people who hype these subs) yes I did my homework, by reading these boards and not realizing that these products were being hyped here, I did not expect to send sub back, I am just trying to get people not to make the same mistake I made, so go ahead, flame away..

The product is probably fine and works well. A combination of things play into how the sub will sound. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the product is bad, it just didn't work for your room/settings/application what have you. And no particular sub gets a crazy amount of hype because usually there's so much competition! By badmouthing a product like that you're just showing your ignorance on the topic. Not a very productive thread...
post #7 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 97
You bring up a valid point. When auditioning a sub make sure you understand the return policy. That is excellent advice.

That is why SVS with their policy is so amazing.
post #8 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

The product is probably fine and works well. A combination of things play into how the sub will sound. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the product is bad, it just didn't work for your room/settings/application what have you. And no particular sub gets a crazy amount of hype because usually there's so much competition! By badmouthing a product like that you're just showing your ignorance on the topic. Not a very productive thread...
thank you for proving my point.
post #9 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

First and foremost we can still help you and turn this thread into something productive rather then a pointless rant that about a mystery subwoofer. Tell us:

Size of your room?

Budget ?

Listening habits ?

This will get the wheels turning and recommendations will start to come in. You are jumping the gun when you state this forum provides false hype on "these sub". What subs? Brand and model, based on your post your not hurting anyone but yourself by not posting the subwoofer and the application it did not perform well in.
Quote:

I am just trying to get people not to make the same mistake I made, so go ahead, flame away..

Most members new/seasoned come to avs to get information before they buy, so they typically do not have to worry about sending a product back, also there are companies you can work with a such as SVS if they are in your price range all subwoofers have a free in home trail and free shipping both ways. wink.gif
post #10 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Hes not bashing you man, just providing you with some good information.
post #11 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure what your point is buddy. I'm just saying don't be so quick to pointing a finger. If you had posted your impressions and results here, I'm pretty sure there would be many people who would try to come to your aid. I'm not even sure what sub you're talking about but if a sub is "hyped" it's usually at least a very decent sub. Usually subs work fine and people go and buy them and put it into a ROOM and it doesn't turn out as great... What you're talking about is usually the reason why people buy from B&M instead of ID of shipping costs. This is widely known that you take a risk.
post #12 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

I recently ordered a sub from a internet company that is raved about on these boards. I will not name the company as I won't bad mouth a product, the company had a 30 day return policy, shipping cost was $69, after trying the sub for week in different setups and placements , I could not get it to blend with my main speakers (golden ears). so I decided to send it back at a cost to me of $89, upon receiving the sub back from me, the company told me it would take at least 2 weeks before their tech could check it out and for them to credit my card ( insult to injury), after about 2 weeks they finnally issued a credit to my card, so in summing up, it cost me $158 to audition a sub that definitely was not as advertised or raved about on these boards, so hopefully this post is for a word to the wise before they get stuck like I did.

I don't know if the sub you auditioned was overhyped, or that, for whatever reason, it simply did not perform to your expectations in your environment. Subs are strange animals in the audio world. What works great in one home (or room), may not work nearly as well in another home (or room). It's all about room size/volume, room shape, room acoustics, adjacent openings and subwoofer placement in that environment. And I'm not going to even get involved in crossovers, high pass and low pass filters, equalization, and on and on.

I'm sure you tried everything you could think of to get that sub to play well with your speaker setup (no one wants to send a subwoofer back and incur another shipping cost), and I'm sorry to hear that $158 flew out of your wallet. I returned a sub that I auditioned, but fortunately the company was only about 12 miles from me, so I had no shipping cost either way since I picked it up and took it back.

Everyone who orders from an internet-direct company knows that there is a possibility that it will have to be returned. What is great about internet-direct companies is the ability to try them out in your home for an extended time period. Auditioning anything in a store, even a high-end store, can be hit and miss at best and it will usually take several auditions to get a feel for the product (but not how that product will perform in your home).

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Not sure what your point is buddy. I'm just saying don't be so quick to pointing a finger. If you had posted your impressions and results here, I'm pretty sure there would be many people who would try to come to your aid. I'm not even sure what sub you're talking about but if a sub is "hyped" it's usually at least a very decent sub. Usually subs work fine and people go and buy them and put it into a ROOM and it doesn't turn out as great... What you're talking about is usually the reason why people buy from B&M instead of ID of shipping costs. This is widely known that you take a risk.

Quote:

I just bought the vtf 2 mk4, I will be using it with golden ear aons, my room is 15x18, use would be for music, but some ht, eventually a 5.1 setup, what would be the best settings as far as ports and eq, thanks

I had figured it was an HSU VTF MK4 based on the cost of shipping, this is a very highly regarded sub-woofer and should perform nicely in a room that size What type of set up was conducted to integrate the subwoofer into your system, what exactly did the subwoofer lack? Did you reach out to HSU for support?
Dradius likes this.
post #14 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

I had figured it was an HSU VTF MK4 based on the cost of shipping, this is a very highly regarded sub-woofer and should perform nicely in a room that size What type of set up was conducted to integrate the subwoofer into your system, what exactly did the subwoofer lack? Did you reach out to HSU for support?

I've owned plenty of subs through the years and that included 4 hsu subs. I have to say that Hsu CS would probably not have helped him in this case. The fees are the fees and there usually isn't leeway. Again that's the risk you take with an ID company. As deepat04 touched on, a lot goes into how a sub performs in a ROOM.
Dradius likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I've owned plenty of subs through the years and that included 4 hsu subs. I have to say that Hsu CS would probably not have helped him in this case. The fees are the fees and there usually isn't leeway. Again that's the risk you take with an ID company. As deepat04 touched on, a lot goes into how a sub performs in a ROOM.

Right shipping policy is what it is, its clearly communicated to the buyer so no surprises. CS would have helped OP with integration or trouble shooting whatever the issue may have been because based on the room specs and subwoofer it should have done what was advertised
post #16 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

Right shipping policy is what it is, its clearly communicated to the buyer so no surprises. CS would have helped OP with integration or trouble shooting whatever the issue may have been because based on the room specs and subwoofer it should have done what was advertised

Oh yes. What I meant about my remark about Hsu CS is that they're pretty much sticklers on fees, stuff out of warranty, and problems. But as far as integrating the sub goes yes, Hsu would be helpful or even this board would be helpful. Hsu has a board as well. It's just a shame to see someone buy a sub because of a forum, not ask for help or an explanation, then sort of blame the forum.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I actually appreciate his warnings, and I learned to buy more than I need so I don't have upgradetitus. That something so many over look when it comes to subs.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Selling subs must be tough, since they are so complex to set up properly and each room is so different. It's easy to make them sound bad and hard to make them sound good. The challenge of getting great sound out of them is half the fun to me, but not what most people expect from electronics.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
It got to be the set up and his sub placement as I used to have the previous version vtf2.3 and it was good in my room (bigger than the op). I sold it to my friend who placed it in even a bigger room and he is absolutely stunned with it. Op, replacing your sub with the similar price range of your vtf2.4 will not help. You need to tell us how it was set up.
post #20 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
So what's the story here? Buy Seaton, JTR or SVS?

Sounds like my old adage is true for you in trying a no-name sub, "It can be expensive trying to save money".smile.gif
steve nn likes this.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #21 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I never knew auditioning a sub could be expensive rolleyes.gif Thanks for letting me know.
post #22 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm dying to know which sub the OP is talking about. I have an itching curiosity for these things.
post #23 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 15

It was quoted above by deepat04 - HSU VTF MK4

I'm also curious as to why this didn't work out since I am in the market for a sub possibly in that price range.

PSN: MightyMouse_879
XBL: Th3Chosen0ne
post #24 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 588
According to this Nov. 16 post, after a bit of back-and-forth with dr_hsu:
Quote:
I now have sub tuned in, all is well, seems also like the sub needs to break in some, I will keep it, thanks for sugestions.
Billy p likes this.
post #25 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Russ View Post

It was quoted above by deepat04 - HSU VTF MK4

I'm also curious as to why this didn't work out since I am in the market for a sub possibly in that price range.
I can think of a number of reasons, foremost being that it's a 250w twelve inch loaded sub. I know that if I only had one of those in my room it wouldn't cut it either, but that wouldn't be the subs fault. I doubt very much that this sub doesn't perform as advertised. You've got to know what you need to do the job at hand; if that's hauling a one ton load you don't buy a half-ton pickup.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #26 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think the OP was referring to the return policy....I don't see any badmouthing the sub itself...he said he couldn't get the performance he was after in his room.
post #27 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
I think the OP was referring to the return policy....I don't see any badmouthing the sub itself...
In his initial post, he says:
Quote:
... it cost me $158 to audition a sub that definitely was not as advertised or raved about on these boards ...
That's a commentary on the sub, not the return policy.

Given the satisfaction he expressed with the sub in another thread, it would be helpful to know how, exactly, the sub was "not as advertised or raved about".
post #28 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

In his initial post, he says:
That's a commentary on the sub, not the return policy.

ummm...good point
post #29 of 40 Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You've got to know what you need to do the job at hand; if that's hauling a one ton load you don't buy a half-ton pickup.

Great statement.  I'm trying to balance my expectations and budget myself. I'm currently without one but I plan on purchasing a sub from a B&M (like a best buy magnolia sub) just to get a feel for what I should expect from a similar unit in my new space.  I also fully understand that there are multiple factors involved in creating the final result, so I'm wondering which one it was that caused the OP to return the sub.  We'll just have to wait and see...

PSN: MightyMouse_879
XBL: Th3Chosen0ne
post #30 of 40 Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm on a restricted budget and I own a couple of cheap subs that don't get much love here on AVS. Most of the people here would not find them acceptable at all. (I was going to sell one after buying the second but it sounds much better with two that I'm keeping them both for now.) Sure, I wish they could have much tighter bass as I use them for music. But I just lower the crossover and gain dials to minimize the boom. My system sounds much better with them than without them. I'd rather have cheap a sub playing than not.

Sure, I'm going to have to eventually sell them and lose some money but until then, I'll enjoy them.

The truth is good audio is not cheap. If everyone one of us, me or you add up all the money we've spent buying then selling stuff over the years....well, I'm afraid of adding it all up. These are definitely first world problems.

$158 is what - 2 or 3 meals at a restaurant? If you're so concerned about losing money buying audio, buy a HTiB and forget about it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page