How to effectively wire in 4 subs plus 2 buttkicker amps into receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Like title states, How to effectively wire in 4 subs plus 2 buttkicker amps into receiver?

My equipment:

Denon 4311ci- preamp

Emotiva xpa-5
Emptiva xpa-2

2 - svs pc13-ultra, one with bash amp and one with sledge amp

Total 6 buttkickers and 2 bka1000-n amp. 3 bk go to 1 bka1000-n, i have y splitters for each input on denon sub ports.

I'm wanting to add a couple subs in the rear sides of my room. Assuming i buy subs with amps like svs sb-1000's for example, i can't split anymore off my sub inputs.

How would this all work?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well first off, if you're going to crank up all that stuff, you should probably have your electrical upgraded.

Your preamp has Sub 1 and Sub 2 outputs. Each should be able to drive 2 or even 3 amplifiers, so you should be OK. If you want to be extra sure, dig through the preamp specs to see what minimum impedance the sub preouts want to see. Same for the input impedance of the buttkicker amps. Choose subwoofers with a high input impedance-if you want specific help, dig out the preamp and buttkicker numbers and we can suggest a minimum for the subwoofer amps.

You could consider wiring sub1 to the buttkickers and sub2 to the "real" subs, if the preamp gives you independent level control for each.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you have 6 buttkickers and 2 amps, it is better to wire them 4 into 1 amp and 2 into the other. Wiring 3 of them according to the manufacturer needs to be done in series and would limit the maximum output to 110W for each. If you do 4, you get 250W and with 2 you get 1000W.

Ideally, if your bluray player has a separate sub output, you can use that for the butt kickers and split it out into the input of your two BK amps. If not, you may have to use the receiver sub outputs. This is not ideal because those introduce delays for the subs that are not necessarily required for the buttkickers.

I would avoid using the sub 1 output to the real subs and sub 2 to the buttkickers as suggested. You need to utilize the 4311ci capabilities to manage your 4 subs. Assuming you have 4 identical ones, I would group them into pairs which have the same distance from the MLP otherwise you would need to set their individual delays manually (using the sub amp if available or using a dsp). When you run audyssey, turn the BK amps off as they may interfere with audyssey readings.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Svs Pb13 Ultra
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page