Looking for LFE hookup suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I just picked up a pair of Golden Ear Triton Two's and a Sat 50C today to upgrade my system from Def Tech BP-7006 and a LCR 2300. These were floor models so already broken in.

I have a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver, an Epik Legend Subwoofer with dual 12" in seal enclosure running through a Antimode 8803 Cinema DSP.  The side and back surrounds are Def tech BiPolar in wall units.

I know there are several ways to hookup the Subs and I know the best way is to experiment but I thought I would ask for some suggestion. My room is over 3500 CU FT.  I am limited to only one choice for speaker locations and the T2's are only about 6" from the back wall, I know not ideal but...

Right now I have them hooked up with the speaker wires and set to large with Sub on XO at 80 hz. Antimode Eq'ing the sub with Yamaha YPAO PEQ the rest of the speakers.  This is how i was wired with the Def Techs.

So hear are several options I was considering and would appreciate comments.

Leave it as is and/or adjust the XO freq.

The AVR has two sub outs so I could Y the T2"s on one output and put the Epik with the Antimode on the other output

I could run both T2's and the Epik of one output and use the Antimode to flatten out the combined peaks in all the subs.  I would have to try to level match them first of course.

I could use the Antimode on the output to the T2's subs only.

Like I said, I know experimentation is the way to go but would appreciate any insight any one might have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Set the speakers to small. It will direct more bass to the sub. I have a Legend and think it may need some help with that size room. It is a good sub but, two subs will fill the space much better.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Set the speakers to small. It will direct more bass to the sub. I have a Legend and think it may need some help with that size room. It is a good sub but, two subs will fill the space much better.

I will try that but doesn't that let the lower end capabilities of the T2's sort of go to waste?

I agree the Legend is a little small for my cu' room and was hoping the low end of the T2's would help compensate.  I guess it's human nature to want a singular solution when one doesn't really exist since every room / component situation in different.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the LFE / low freq. deal.  I guess if I set the mains to small and pick a XO say 80 hz then not only the LFE info (only present in movies usually) but any freq in all content below 80 hz goes to the LFE output as well.

So if so why not feed the low output via a Y back to the LFE inputs on the T2's as well.  What's the down side other than the whole multiple sub conflict issues to resolve.  There has to be an optimum what to utilize the 1200 watt subs in the T2's

By the way I'm about 95% TV/Movie. Most music is on a old but excellent 2ch system in another room.

How's your Legend holding up.  My amp died and I ended up replacing it with a Bash 500 since Epik seems to be DOA.

Thanks for the feed back.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
The T2's have a built in subwoofer but, I feel the Legend will be better at producing the LF. Running the speakers as large and the built in subwoofers would be like having three subs. Try it both ways and see what sound best. It would be interesting if you had a spl meter and could check to see which way gives the most output and best SQ. Please post your findings. I know a couple of people that still run the speakers as small even with the built in subs in the tower and feel that gives better results.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I do have a SPL.  I'll experiment and post results.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page