Would I benefit from a more powerful sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lrock59040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently running an SVS PB12-ISD in a 2688 sq ft room (24x14x8). Been debating getting either a VTF-15h or a PB12-plus. Is there any meaningful upgrade to be had by making the switch in that size room or is the pb12-isd sufficient and am I throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist?
lrock59040 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
A recommendation, check out the first couple of posts in the ULF thread.

In the case of subwoofers, a problem always exists. The question, can the individual afford to fix the problem?

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Have you considered another NSD? Might not be as exciting as getting a whole new sub I admit. If no interest the PLUS is basically two NSD’s in one though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lrock59040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought about it but this is for our livin room, not a dedicated theater room so not sure if the wife is gonna be real thrilled me shoving another big black box in the room
lrock59040 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
aboroth00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Have you considered another NSD? Might not be as exciting as getting a whole new sub I admit. If no interest the PLUS is basically two NSD’s in one though.

Another NSD +1
steve nn likes this.
aboroth00 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 View Post

Thought about it but this is for our livin room, not a dedicated theater room so not sure if the wife is gonna be real thrilled me shoving another big black box in the room

I understand all to well.. Just read your post again and noticed you’re running a older isd and not a NSD. That is a fairly good size room you have going. Do you feel your sub is compressing? (not getting louder) although you’re turning up your sub louder or listening level up higher?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lrock59040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't noticed any yet but haven't been in my house that long. The old room was 12x14 and seemed plenty for that. Not sure if it means anything in regards to the available power but I have the gain at only 40% or so and audyssey still sets the sub at -10.0. So I would think if it was potentially shot on juice audyssey would set it much higher.
lrock59040 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'd get another SVS sub that matches your current one the closest, if not the same model. You'll smooth out response and fill in modes from the room while gaining headroom. If you can get the waf approval I'd go for it. After I got my second HSU VTF2 MK4 it made a big improvement with smoothing response to each seat and the bass sounds much more full. More headroom too. I'll get a third than fourth eventually.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 View Post

I haven't noticed any yet but haven't been in my house that long. The old room was 12x14 and seemed plenty for that. Not sure if it means anything in regards to the available power but I have the gain at only 40% or so and audyssey still sets the sub at -10.0. So I would think if it was potentially shot on juice audyssey would set it much higher.

I see. You could boost your trim up a little and see how you like things and how it handles it? You always have the option of boosting or lowering depending on material. Many to most around hear ratchet their bass up a little, some a lot! The ISD comes in at a 25hz tune as apposed to 20hz tune on the newer NSD. You would notice a difference in extension right there along with a little more headroom because subs, drivers (SVS) are always evolving. You should notice a little better SQ also. If you bumped up to the PLUS you would have a 16hz tune option also, and of course much more headroom keeping WAF in mind.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 View Post

Thought about it but this is for our livin room, not a dedicated theater room so not sure if the wife is gonna be real thrilled me shoving another big black box in the room

Just saying, as big as one thinks a sub is, after placed and listened to a few times, the sub begins to blend with it's surroundings. I was quite surprised by this phenomenon.

Out in the open, we have a single FV15HP and behind the MLP, a love seat, is a second FV15HP and my wife is surprisingly okay with this placement.
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
aboroth00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Just saying, as big as one thinks a sub is, after placed and listened to a few times, the sub begins to blend with it's surroundings. I was quite surprised by this phenomenon.

Out in the open, we have a single FV15HP and behind the MLP, a love seat, is a second FV15HP and my wife is surprisingly okay with this placement.

Just think of it as an end table. I know Outlaw makes their sub with a plexiglass top... I wonder why.
aboroth00 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

Just think of it as an end table. I know Outlaw makes their sub with a plexiglass top... I wonder why.

biggrin.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 View Post

Currently running an SVS PB12-ISD in a 2688 sq ft room (24x14x8). Been debating getting either a VTF-15h or a PB12-plus. Is there any meaningful upgrade to be had by making the switch in that size room or is the pb12-isd sufficient and am I throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist?
Show us your measured in-room response. You want to be sure something is broken before you try to fix it. If it isn't sufficient you're probably better off adding a second identical sub rather than going to one larger one.
henrich3 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off