How do I properly connect this custom, dual powered (300 watt) subwoofer to my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I bought a used, custom built, subwoofer with two power sources, two power plugs. So two identical amps (I  think they are called amps), need to be linked to each and then back to the reciever. The woofer was used and so came with two cables that connect the amps. These cables plug into the Line IN , Line OUT. There is one red and one white receptor for both Line In and Line out., Totaling four , two of each colour. My understanding is that the red and white of either IN or OUT need to be connected to the second amp, and then the remaining IN or OUT is connected back to the receiver. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I have come here. All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-02-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 977
This sub has two drivers and two amps? Unusual....

Your sub pre-out from the receiver would go to the line in on one of the two amps, then use the line out from that amp to connect to the line in on the other amp so it can share signal. Can't imagine why anything would need to go back to the receiver, though.

Take pics of your sub (nice if you show it from a few angles, so we can see the drivers as well as the amps).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

AppleMark

AppleMark

So there it is - how do you think I would link these two and then back to reciever?

post #4 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said previously, and there is nothing that goes "to" the receiver....

What size drivers does this sub have? Sealed? Just curious...

ps Since the sub doesn't indicate it has an LFE channel input, you could use just the left or right inputs but you'll likely want to put the crossover setting on max. If you want to use both L/R inputs on the sub, just use a splitter if your avr only has one sub pre-out.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
If you wanted, you could run one line out of your receiver into a Y and then a line into each plate. It would require a extra short cable/run though not going the daisy route like lovin suggests. I just thought I would complicate things smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

My camera died before I could take a picture of the front. But measuring it, it has a 12'' (Driver?) the circular thing that you associate with subwoofers and 5-6" hole in the front that gets smaller as it goes into the box, in a conical fashion. The "driver" is on the top and the hole/cone is on the bottom. 

post #7 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

What would be the difference in using both the left and right vs. just one? And why do you think the crossover setting should be set to max? Are you suprised that there are two separate power sources? Could I only use one? Do they both power the same component, but the second just to a greater extent or do they power different components?

post #8 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylistenin View Post

My camera died before I could take a picture of the front. But measuring it, it has a 12'' (Driver?) the circular thing that you associate with subwoofers and 5-6" hole in the front that gets smaller as it goes into the box, in a conical fashion. The "driver" is on the top and the hole/cone is on the bottom. 

It has only one driver? The hole is called a vent or port, so you have a ported or vented sub rather than a sealed sub. Weird to have two amps for one driver...
Quote:

What would be the difference in using both the left and right vs. just one? And why do you think the crossover setting should be set to max? Are you suprised that there are two separate power sources? Could I only use one? Do they both power the same component, but the second just to a greater extent or do they power different components?

You might get a bit more gain by using the dual inputs, otherwise bass is almost always mono (unless you actually have a stereo sub option on your receiver, what receiver are you using?). Crossover should be handled by your receiver (assuming your receiver has bass management as most do). I personally would experiment with each amp separately to see what it would do. I don't know why there would be two for a single driver....but I'm no engineer and as far as I know you can't put two amps on one driver....

post #9 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

If you wanted, you could run one line out of your receiver into a Y and then a line into each plate. It would require a extra short cable/run though not going the daisy route like lovin suggests. I just thought I would complicate things smile.gif

To expand, you could run the one subwoofer cable and even split it four ways if you want to use both the left & right inputs....if you have a .2 receiver then I'd run one cable from each of the pre-outs, though.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't seen it in action, I bought it cheap and unplanned while picking up a used receiver, so maybe I will test it out on my older receiver if you don't recognize this 2 amp set up. 

Has anyone else heard of two amps powering a single driver? What would two 300W amps equal out to? A little unsure that I will hook this up to the receiver I just bought.

post #11 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

To expand, you could run the one subwoofer cable and even split it four ways if you want to use both the left & right inputs....if you have a .2 receiver then I'd run one cable from each of the pre-outs, though.

I’m so glad you answered the last questions. wink.gif I was just sitting down to and.. Yeah! That would work or he could run a simple Y into each sub off the run. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #12 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't seen it in action, I bought it cheap and unplanned while picking up a used receiver, so maybe I will test it out on my older receiver if you don't recognize this 2 amp set up. 
Has anyone else heard of two amps powering a single driver? What would two 300W amps equal out to? A little unsure that I will hook this up to the receiver I just bought.

Oh I thought this was a dual driver unit. mmm weird! Usually it’s one amp two drivers. This is a first to me.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt that your receiver would be at risk but perhaps to err on the side of caution.... smile.gif

I wonder if it's a dual voice coil driver and if whoever made this put an amp on each of the voice coils....and as far as I know that's not a great idea if you don't know what you're doing.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Haha well I am glad I waited to hook this up. No wonder I had problems searching for it.

post #15 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't get a demo of the sub before purchase?

post #16 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if it's a dual voice coil driver and if whoever made this put an amp on each of the voice coils....and as far as I know that's not a great idea if you don't know what you're doing.

We generally have options in wiring but I’m sure the amps can’t handle under 4 Ohm. I can’t surmise why they would choose two amps over some other options unless this was a DIY project and this is what the guy had to work with. It dosn't look like it though.
lovinthehd likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #17 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

No I didn't. I was buying a SC-27 off a guy, his set up was top notch and he said he would throw in the sub for 80$. He said it was custom 1000$. I figure it was and hopefully still worth at least that much. Based on what I saw this guy didn't buy ****** equipment. But yeah, not a great practice.

post #18 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Quote:

We generally have options in wiring but I’m sure the amps can’t handle under 4 Ohm. I can’t surmise why they would choose two amps over some other options unless this was a DIY project and this is what the guy had to work with. It dosn't look like it though.

Do you recognize those amps? I've never heard of a commercial offering setup this way and think it was mentioned it was a "custom" sub so maybe that means not custom ordered but rather DIY...

Quote:

No I didn't. I was buying a SC-27 off a guy, his set up was top notch and he said he would throw in the sub for 80$. He said it was custom 1000$. I figure it was and hopefully still worth at least that much. Based on what I saw this guy didn't buy ****** equipment. But yeah, not a great practice.

Well, he didn't demo it (I would have but then I love to demo for anyone willing), and if its truly a $1000 sub then $80 is a bit weird....

post #19 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I really doubt he built it himself because he wasn't even positive how to hook up the back which is why I asked AVS. It was sitting is a spare bedroom and his wife wanted the space which is why I think he just wanted to be rid of it. 

post #20 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really doubt he built it himself because he wasn't even positive how to hook up the back which is why I asked AVS. It was sitting is a spare bedroom and his wife wanted the space which is why I think he just wanted to be rid of it. 

Well, good luck with that and keep us posted on what you figure out....

post #21 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Going from your last 3-4 posts it sounds like some sort of sham to me. It was always shaky but now I'm really leary.

The amps look like/are reg plates! nothing special at all.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page