Sub settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just bought a new 5:1 surround set and am a bit confused about the sub, so if anyone could help with a "subs for dummies" explanation it would be really appreciated!

The sub is a Cabasse Santorin 21. The set up says to set speakers to small in the receiver's menu, and set the crossover dial on the sub to 200Hz. I don't have the option to change speakers to floor standing / small etc in my receiver, but I do have the option to set the crossover frequency, which the sub manual says set to 140Hz. I've gone to 130, as there is no 140.... next step is 150.

So, what I don't get is why is there a crossover dial on the sub, which should be set to 200 (according to the Cabasse manual) if I'm making the settings on the receiver too? And why are they different? The sub does not have a crossover bypass like my old Mirage did.

Any help greatly appreciated as the setup sounds crap compared to my old Mirage Omnisat system, but it shouldn't do.... !

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Maxing out the crossover (actually a low-pass filter LPF)) on the sub is effectively the same as bypassing it, which is what you want when you've got an AVR handling speaker-to-sub crossovers.

If your AVR didn't handle crossovers, you'd want to have the LPF on the sub in order to be able to blend the sub with your speakers.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Elijay..... how's Ottawa handling the winter so far???

This will probably sound like a dumb question to you, but please bear with me!!

If the receiver didn't set the crossover, and the satellites / speakers are wired into the receiver, how does a sub set the crossover? Does it "reject" any signal above the crossover frequency? If so, how does that stop signals less than that frequency going to the speakers too?confused.gif
Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Here my simple explanation (because I'm a simple guy smile.gif ): Unlike a crossover in an AVR - which is essentially a combination of low-pass and high-pass filters applied to the various channels to control which channels get which range of frequencies - the sub's crossover is just a low-pass / high-cut filter. It filters out the signal above the frequency value you set. IOW, it allows the frequencies below the setting to "pass" (play) and it "cuts" the frequencies above that setting.

If your receiver didn't set crossover, full-range audio would go to both your speakers and the sub. The speakers would play as low as they could, and any frequencies below that point would roll off. The LPF on the sub would allow you to adjust the point at which all the high frequencies are filtered out ("cut"), so that the upper end of the sub blends with the lower end of the speakers.

As for Winter here in Ottawa, it could be warmer. But it's been colder, so I'm not complaining. Too much. Yet. wink.gif
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 428
From what I see your receiver is set to run your speakers as small regardless of your cross?? We would need to see more settings to know for sure though or make of your receiver. Setting your cross up higher on your sub will ensure you don’t double filter what your sub should be playing, like eljay has described.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Eljay.... my next task is to work out why it's so loud / boomy when at the suggested 12 O'clock position for level.... I have to rack it back to 9 (quarter volume) to stop it overpowering the speakers...... must be a placement issue.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That 12:00 setting has no bearing what-so-ever. It will change to your liking depending on the room it’s in and placement.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The high crossover may be causing the sub to sound boomy. (IIRC, the Klipsch SUB-12 has a similar issue.) A simple experiment would be to run your sub with an 80Hz crossover and see if that cleans up the sound.

If it does, and given that your smaller speakers require a higher crossover setting, you may be somewhat out of luck re. the boominess.

Trying different placement options may help resolve / attenuate the problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Ideally you want your sub placement where it blends in with your speakers the best with some room gain generally. If you place your sub in a corner it will multiply what your sub puts out, but it’s a little bit of a dance getting the right combination in short.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3