Amp for JBL 4645c sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'm considering buying a used JBL Cinema 4645c I ran across. Good deal as long as shipping isn't too much but I'm sure it prolly will be pricey. Hope not.

Started thinking about what amp I would drive it with. I need one that has a sub sonic filter and I'm sure many of you are familiar with the JBL 2242h woofer. Any particular amps come to mind? Love to be able to use an EP4000 but don't think it has a low enough filter. Thanks guys.
Edit: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4645c.pdf

JBL Pro Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
what about the iNukes?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh ya forgot bout them. I'm gunna take a
look at them. Are the relatively quiet? Thats important cause my racks 5 feet behind my seats.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #4 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Having a little trouble finding specs of the dsp on the inuke 6000. Wanting to know the frequencies the low shelf can be set to.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #5 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 76
iNukes are loud but the DSP is pretty functional. I believe the JBL subs call for a 20 Hz HPF, but could be wrong. The DSP of iNuke should be great for this sub as adjustments onky go to 20 Hz (there are workarounds for lower frequencies).

Crown also has a lower cost DSP amp that is quieter than the iNukes.

Awesome sub if not looking for sub 20 Hz bass.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #6 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

iNukes are loud but the DSP is pretty functional. I believe the JBL subs call for a 20 Hz HPF, but could be wrong. The DSP of iNuke should be great for this sub as adjustments onky go to 20 Hz (there are workarounds for lower frequencies).

Crown also has a lower cost DSP amp that is quieter than the iNukes.

Awesome sub if not looking for sub 20 Hz bass.
Cool. Ya 20hz I is where the high pass needs to be. Says 12db/oct or higher and I would think a steep filter would work best. Ya def not looking for ULFs with this. Attracted to it's 25hz and up performance. Too bad the inukes are loud dam. Can you do amp mods on them?

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I don't know what you are looking to spend, but an XTI - 2002 crown or a used XTI 2000 ebay would work nicely. Bridge for 2000 watts. Download HiQnet and it should have a setting you can select for that sub.

Variable speed fan, but in practice, I never hear them. The driver in that sub has 54mm of xmech so the chances of hurting it are small.

HiQnet

Reddig likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Those XTI amps are sweet for 20 Hz and above, I've read they have an undefeatable 20 Hz HPF but have not seen confirmation.

There is a fan mod for the iNukes, but i would check on XTI for better build quality.
Reddig likes this.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #9 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tack and NWC i appreciate it. I would love to get a used Crown XTI. That's what I'm gunna keep an eye out for. I'll research a lil too before taking the plunge. Crown has always been an attractive amp solution. Have heard so much great testimony both by fellas on AVS as well as some of my commercial cinema friends. I'd rather b patient and find a good deal on a used one cause this is kinda my budget used sub/amp add on to my HT. I'm eventually gunna piece together an entire JBL PRO Cinema system. I already use JBL 8340a surrounds i got used. Would love Crown power for future JBL screen arrays and my surrounds too. When that happens I'm moving my gear rack to an adjacent room so loud fans won't be an issue.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #10 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tack was looking at the ebay link you posted and man that seems like a dam good deal for that as long as it doesn't bid too high. What do you think? Says it was rack mounted all it's life. Tempted to bid on it before the sub.

Edit: found some more info
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5935
Man the dsp is so slick and seems like just the ticket for that sub.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Tack was looking at the ebay link you posted and man that seems like a dam good deal for that as long as it doesn't bid too high. What do you think? Says it was rack mounted all it's life. Tempted to bid on it before the sub.

I've never had a problem with a Crown amp, but even if you did, they are fixable. There's one in my shop that's been "on" for 2 years.

The DSP should have pre-sets for your future Screen Arrays too. Stack 'em up wink.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I've never had a problem with a Crown amp, but even if you did, they are fixable. There's one in my shop that's been "on" for 2 years.

The DSP should have pre-sets for your future Screen Arrays too. Stack 'em up wink.gif

OH YEAH!!!cool.gifbiggrin.gif

JBL Pro Cinema
post #13 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Two hours left. smile.gif
post #14 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I'll start by saying I'm a bit of a craigslist poacher and am limited by what comes up at a wildly low price every now and again...

I'm currently driving mine with a QSC ISA 800Ti (gain fully open, bridged mono is 1500W @ 8 Ohms) using a behringer FBQ1502 EQ in input mode to attenuate (it pretty much stays at -10dB all the time). It sounds good enough for my purposes, though I'm fairly new to this hobby and may be doing something incredibly stupid without knowing it. I know this amp isn't really designed for this application and am reassured by comments in the thread that this sub is tough. Am I doing something stupid, though?

From listening I also suspect that the Sony 1000ESD preamp's subwoofer channel removes the lowest frequencies -- not sure if it has a hi-pass built in in the neighborhood of 20 Hz.

post #15 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool thsnks for posting.

Was looking at that amp and it says it has a sub harmonic filter so the amp could be cutting off at 20hz which is a good thing with this sub as it needs to be high passed.

Instead of getting a new sub I decided to get new LCRs. I got 3 2x15" cabs from the JBL 4722 and the 3 in equivalent CD from P-Audio on JBL 2380a horns. Each has a 1,200 hz 2-way passive crossover board attached to the tops of the cabinet. Also got 2 Crown DC-300a Series II amps to power them. Each is 300x2 at 4 ohm. Just installed and hooked them up a couple days ago and they are beastly! Just love the midbass and dynamics of these and the gigantic sound they have one second than soft and delicate the next. I'd love to bi amp them.

Edit: what crossover point are you using for your 4645c?

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a jbl 4641, I have a crown xls 1500 amp anyone know if it also cuts at 20hz and if so is this good enough cut off for the 4641. Thanks in advance Jim
post #17 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the big brother (5749) which is 2 x 2242's. I use a QSC 4050HD and run each woofer separately. The 2242's love a lot of power!
I have the QSC DSP30 performing the high and low pass with a bump at 25 hz.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jbl Professional 4645c Cinema Thx Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - 4645c by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page