New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!!
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 10:55 PM 02-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post

My main concern now is the pb-2000 shacking the tv off the wall wink.gif



swargolet's Avatar swargolet 10:57 PM 02-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post


Looks like pretty solid output down to the 16-17 Hz range.  Do you have an option to spread the subs out any more?  4 feet is probably a bit too close to provide a smoother response than a single sub, as the graph looks very similar from 1 - 2 subs.  Definitely appears to be close to a 6 dB increase though.

Was the crossover on you AVR kicking in or something?  Looks like a huge loss in output after 60 Hz

It is 4 feet when measuring from the inside edge of each sub, so probably more like 5 feet from center to center, although that is still probably too close. Sadly I dont have the ability to spread them out more, although I could probably move one to a different area of the room.
Crossover is set to 80hz, so I dont think it is the crossover causing that huge drop at 60hz, although like Brian said, you wouldn't expect a room null to roll off like that. I plan to mess with it more tomorrow. One thing I found odd that when I was taking measurements, I ran a 5-80hz sweep as well and my center was playing during that whole sweep. Not too sure why that'd be the case as it is set to small and the crossover @80hz.
bear123's Avatar bear123 05:39 AM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post


It is 4 feet when measuring from the inside edge of each sub, so probably more like 5 feet from center to center, although that is still probably too close. Sadly I dont have the ability to spread them out more, although I could probably move one to a different area of the room.
Crossover is set to 80hz, so I dont think it is the crossover causing that huge drop at 60hz, although like Brian said, you wouldn't expect a room null to roll off like that. I plan to mess with it more tomorrow. One thing I found odd that when I was taking measurements, I ran a 5-80hz sweep as well and my center was playing during that whole sweep. Not too sure why that'd be the case as it is set to small and the crossover @80hz.

I do not know how you would do a full range (0-200Hz) sweep with an AVR, but at the very least, set your crossover as high as it will go, say, 120Hz or whatever, and turn off or disconnect your other speakers so that you are only measuring the subs.  Would be interesting to see how your response/room gain etc changes if you move one of the subs to another location.  Are either of the subs in a corner?  If you could relocate one and get it in a corner you may end up with more room gain and a smoother graph.

 

However, unsmoothed, that graph looked pretty smooth up to the point where your crossover cut output.


zoldar's Avatar zoldar 06:04 AM 02-02-2014
Dual PB2000s are almost here. I may be calling in sick to work tomorrow biggrin.gif

On FedEx vehicle for delivery
Scheduled for delivery next business day
DrewRosenHouse's Avatar DrewRosenHouse 08:43 AM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post


lol, I guess that makes sense also. Give me a break, I'm a dirt bag construction worker.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:14 AM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post

lol, I guess that makes sense also. Give me a break, I'm a dirt bag construction worker.

LOL!

Sorry, couldn't resist. My sense of humor demands I act up in this fashion. Welcome to the subwoofer forum.

...tongue.gif

(retired general contractor and pest control operator here)
bear123's Avatar bear123 09:25 AM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post

Still have to mount the Center underneath the mantle

I hope you don't use the fireplace often if you do this(not that you have any other mounting option).  Thinking you might get a bit of heat on that center.


swargolet's Avatar swargolet 12:12 PM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

I do not know how you would do a full range (0-200Hz) sweep with an AVR, but at the very least, set your crossover as high as it will go, say, 120Hz or whatever, and turn off or disconnect your other speakers so that you are only measuring the subs.  Would be interesting to see how your response/room gain etc changes if you move one of the subs to another location.  Are either of the subs in a corner?  If you could relocate one and get it in a corner you may end up with more room gain and a smoother graph.

However, unsmoothed, that graph looked pretty smooth up to the point where your crossover cut output.

I was using REW to generate the sweeps on my laptop connected to the AVR via HDMI. My room has a small area that is recessed back on one wall by about 2.5 feet and about 6 feet wide. The subs are in each corner of that part.

I just did some more measurements with all speakers disconnected and the crossover set to 200hz. I'm pretty amazed with what I saw and it really shows how useful two subs are. I didn't apply smoothing for any of these.



I then hooked up all the speakers and tried an 80hz and 100hz crossover, which produced this response: (Dark green line is subs only w/ 200 hz crossover)



I did some more testing and found that a lot of that almost all of the rise from 100 to 60hz is caused by running the subs hot. I turned them back down to where Audyssey set them and got a much smoother graph. Although I still have that mess from 130-200 and everything after 200hz is also a mess without smoothing.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 12:37 PM 02-02-2014
Yeah I get super flat response with the way audyssey sets the sub but I like to run them about 4db hot. Thus a small bump in the low end
bear123's Avatar bear123 01:38 PM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post


I was using REW to generate the sweeps on my laptop connected to the AVR via HDMI. My room has a small area that is recessed back on one wall by about 2.5 feet and about 6 feet wide. The subs are in each corner of that part.

I just did some more measurements with all speakers disconnected and the crossover set to 200hz. I'm pretty amazed with what I saw and it really shows how useful two subs are. I didn't apply smoothing for any of these.



I then hooked up all the speakers and tried an 80hz and 100hz crossover, which produced this response: (Dark green line is subs only w/ 200 hz crossover)



I did some more testing and found that a lot of that almost all of the rise from 100 to 60hz is caused by running the subs hot. I turned them back down to where Audyssey set them and got a much smoother graph. Although I still have that mess from 130-200 and everything after 200hz is also a mess without smoothing.

I am impressed that you look very flat all the way down to 15 Hz...nice!  Do you have a way to eq your dip after 50 Hz?  Because you look really flat 15 to the low 50's.  If you could raise the 50-100 area you would be golden.


swargolet's Avatar swargolet 02:16 PM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

I am impressed that you look very flat all the way down to 15 Hz...nice!  Do you have a way to eq your dip after 50 Hz?  Because you look really flat 15 to the low 50's.  If you could raise the 50-100 area you would be golden.

I was also impressed with that response. I assume it'd be even better if my room could withstand the bass. Not even joking, I can push on the walls and they will bend in by quite a bit. I did just buy a pretty nice receiver (Denon X4000), but I'm not too familiar with it yet. I do know that there is an EQ in it, but I believe that it is disabled with Audeyssey, which IMO seems odd. So I do not believe I have any way to raise it. Although based on the measurements of just the subs, it is decently flat even above 50. It is when I introduce the speakers into the mix that I get those big dips, so I'm not too sure the best way to remedy that. Possibly with the phase of each sub? Would that just be trial and error?
bear123's Avatar bear123 02:45 PM 02-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post


I was also impressed with that response. I assume it'd be even better if my room could withstand the bass. Not even joking, I can push on the walls and they will bend in by quite a bit. I did just buy a pretty nice receiver (Denon X4000), but I'm not too familiar with it yet. I do know that there is an EQ in it, but I believe that it is disabled with Audeyssey, which IMO seems odd. So I do not believe I have any way to raise it. Although based on the measurements of just the subs, it is decently flat even above 50. It is when I introduce the speakers into the mix that I get those big dips, so I'm not too sure the best way to remedy that. Possibly with the phase of each sub? Would that just be trial and error?


I think With that AVR and Audyssey you can eq that response out quite a bit smoother where needed, but I have no idea how as I do not have any experience with Audyssey.  I am sure someone on these forums will be able to help you out though.


DrewRosenHouse's Avatar DrewRosenHouse 02:31 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

I hope you don't use the fireplace often if you do this(not that you have any other mounting option).  Thinking you might get a bit of heat on that center.

I rarely use the fireplace, its a huge waste of gas. I did however run it on low for an hour the other day when it was -20F. With the flue halfway open the brick was still cool to the touch, 90% of the heat exits the chimney.
FiremanFrank's Avatar FiremanFrank 06:33 PM 02-03-2014

     I would be careful about mounting into mortar.  I think the brick will hold just fine but I am not sure about the mortar holding up over time and I would hate to read your tv fell.


BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 06:38 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post

     I would be careful about mounting into mortar.  I think the brick will hold just fine but I am not sure about the mortar holding up over time and I would hate to read your tv fell.

If mounting into mortar, drill all the way through to the other side of the brick and use appropriate sized toggle bolts that when the flip open, do so at the back of the brick. The only way they'll come out is if the bolt is removed or the brick comes down.

Image of Toggle Bolt.



I use toggles for attaching things to sheetrock with fender washers and a jam nut.

Image of Fender Washer.

SSFenderWashers.jpg

The Fender Washer is threaded such that it's on the face of the brick or the sheetrock and provides support for the jam nut that goes between the Fender Washer and the slotted head of the Toggle Bolt. This way one can lock the assembly to the wall and extend the bolt head out to hang things on.

-
DrewRosenHouse's Avatar DrewRosenHouse 08:18 PM 02-03-2014
I used used about 8 tap-cons in the mortar joints and two 3/8 wedge anchors, trust me you could not get the mount off the wall without using a beater and pry bar, they are strong as hell and easy to patch when I sell the house. We use them for a variety of task at work(building elevators) from mounting electrical trough, to hanging heavy battery rescue units on hollow CMU walls and they work great.


It is absolutely killing me looking at the pb-2000 sitting in the corner of my basement every night. I'm trying to get my speakers hooked up in the next week or so. For the main speakers im just going to use a coil of 14awg strander copper wire I got from work and spin them together with a drill motor. But for the sub im kinda clueless as to what wires I need.

Will 2 14awg copper wires with banana plugs work just fine or is there anything specific I should order from monoprice? The receiver will be about 20ft away from the sub max.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:25 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post

I used used about 8 tap-cons in the mortar joints and two 3/8 wedge anchors, trust me you could not get the mount off the wall without using a beater and pry bar, they are strong as hell and easy to patch when I sell the house. We use them for a variety of task at work(building elevators) from mounting electrical trough, to hanging heavy battery rescue units on hollow CMU walls and they work great.

Reads like you're already onto how to stick stuff on a wall.

...biggrin.gif
dexth77's Avatar dexth77 09:28 PM 02-03-2014
Hi,
Would a PB2000 be a good choice of partner with a Rythmik F12? Would it complicates the bass of would it get the best of ported and sealed sub?
coxcableman's Avatar coxcableman 09:38 PM 02-03-2014
I got my pb2000 today and noticed it does not have a limiter light can someone confirm this? I only see power indicator light on front! I upgraded from pb12nsd and first impressions are good! Love the looks of the cabinet, I have not noticed a huge difference in output but can feel the difference in my couch vibrating. Don't think I am going to have the same problems of the grill falling off, the grill on the new pb2000 seems to fit a whole lot more snug!!! I will watch a couple of more movies tomorrow to really test it out but am liking it so far!!!!
cableguy301's Avatar cableguy301 11:15 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoldar View Post

Dual PB2000s are almost here. I may be calling in sick to work tomorrow biggrin.gif

On FedEx vehicle for delivery
Scheduled for delivery next business day

 

that's a good reason  :)


Bazzy's Avatar Bazzy 12:12 PM 02-04-2014
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 12:19 PM 02-04-2014
Hi Guys, So i am not an expert with the set up of REW or sure if I calibrated my RS SPL meter correctly, or anything else for that matter in my Quad Stacked PB x000's set up.

I am using a Mac book laptop running 10.5.8 OSX with a Behringer UCA202 external sound card with the RS Analog SPL meter.

I have four SVS PB series subs placed in the corners which are slightly angled to the center of the room with
the PB 1000's Stacked on top of the PB 2000's.

As seen here in this Picture.



So I did a sweep from 5hz to 120hz , I put the RS SPL meter/Mic at about head level in my LP
with an extended tripod holding it about ear level where I would be seated.
I first level matched the subs with my PRE amp set to 0, and set the sub gain close to 75 db.
I found I had to set the PB 2000 much higher to get to the same db level. But I have theory on this I need to check.
The PB 1000's are "higher" up in the play back location, that is on top of the PB 2000. From the graphs you can
see how I think it might be a better location for subs but I need to take a sweep with them on the floor and not raised.

I will post the left side subs first then the right side subs and then the dual 1000's followed by the dual 2000's
on finishing up with an over lay of each set of dual subs over the graph of all subs.

I Think a better placement would elevate some of the dips, but I do have a SVS EQ I have not installed yet.
That will be fun with this set up!!!










Dual PB 1000's



Dual PB 2000's



And Quad Subs with the duals over layer.




Athanasios
FiremanFrank's Avatar FiremanFrank 12:44 PM 02-04-2014

    I don't have the setup as nice as 4 SVS subs but I did get in a PB 2000.  I am still working on the integration with my current speakers but I did notice that during War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise version) that my floor vibrated and I heard deep bass I never knew was there.  I have a dual older sub setup downstairs as my movie room and they also did not hit the lows that this SVS is hitting.  Very happy with it and hope to get it dialed in with my current speakers soon (old separates with no Audyssey).  Also it adds a lot of punch to music that I was not able to achieve with just the speakers alone.  Jean Luc Ponty's Tchokola really thumped me in the chest and I look forward to digging out my Edgar Winter CD with Frankenstein on it.

 

    The only complaint I have is now I am thinking of how awesome a set of PB 2000s to replace my old system downstairs.  Curse you SVS, your stuff is too good.


BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 12:53 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post

 Curse you SVS, your stuff is too good.

For the greater good, it's all a conspiracy to separate us from our money.......because the economy depends on it.

(mmmmmmmmm..........80", 3D.........mmmmmmmmm)

-
D Bone's Avatar D Bone 01:54 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi All,

Below is a link to a review of the SB2000 from a Germa website - areadvd.de - they seemed to like it!

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-aktiver-subwoofer-svs-sb-2000/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsvs%2Bsb%2B2000%26num%3D100%26nord%3D1%26site%3Dwebhp

Bazzy!

I like that website's reviews. They did a nice one on my Denon X-2000 as well as this one on the SB-2000. They sure seemed to like it.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 04:01 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Hi Guys, So i am not an expert with the set up of REW or sure if I calibrated my RS SPL meter correctly, or anything else for that matter in my Quad Stacked PB x000's set up.

I am using a Mac book laptop running 10.5.8 OSX with a Behringer UCA202 external sound card with the RS Analog SPL meter.

I have four SVS PB series subs placed in the corners which are slightly angled to the center of the room with
the PB 1000's Stacked on top of the PB 2000's.

As seen here in this Picture.



So I did a sweep from 5hz to 120hz , I put the RS SPL meter/Mic at about head level in my LP
with an extended tripod holding it about ear level where I would be seated.
I first level matched the subs with my PRE amp set to 0, and set the sub gain close to 75 db.
I found I had to set the PB 2000 much higher to get to the same db level. But I have theory on this I need to check.
The PB 1000's are "higher" up in the play back location, that is on top of the PB 2000. From the graphs you can
see how I think it might be a better location for subs but I need to take a sweep with them on the floor and not raised.

I will post the left side subs first then the right side subs and then the dual 1000's followed by the dual 2000's
on finishing up with an over lay of each set of dual subs over the graph of all subs.

I Think a better placement would elevate some of the dips, but I do have a SVS EQ I have not installed yet.
That will be fun with this set up!!!










Dual PB 1000's



Dual PB 2000's



And Quad Subs with the duals over layer.




Athanasios
Can you repost with the spl set to 5db increments

Also it's good to be able to take measurements but the ra spl meter is very innacurate. You might think about getting a USB mic.

Please repost with the above parameters. But so at so good
FiremanFrank's Avatar FiremanFrank 04:10 PM 02-04-2014

      I am trying to understand what all I need to get the REW software to work and I was planning on using the mic built into my Radio Shack SPL meter.  Which brand and model USB microphone do you like? 


roland6465's Avatar roland6465 04:14 PM 02-04-2014
Sorry to jump in on the readings and graphs, but I just have to come harp on my new SB2000. Had it less than two weeks now, and the sound pressure and "hit" of this thing is giving me blows that lid off my little 12x14 room! I was running Definitive ProSub 80 & 100 ported subs, and the clarity and depth of the sealed 12" crushes the old setup. I've only watched a few movies so far, but "Star Trek" and "National Treasure 2" had some great sudden, low bass hits. The first time I really appreciated the quality though, was watching "Untitled: Almost Famous" yesterday. The soundtrack is really pretty tame in the LFE channel, but in the scenes with the band playing in the arenas, it really recreated that "music hall PA" sound and feeling in the chest. Over the years, I have probably spent $10-15K on A/V stuff, but the SB2000 is the best $700 of it all.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 04:44 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post

      I am trying to understand what all I need to get the REW software to work and I was planning on using the mic built into my Radio Shack SPL meter.  Which brand and model USB microphone do you like? 
Spec lab calibrated umik is the one I use
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 04:45 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post

Sorry to jump in on the readings and graphs, but I just have to come harp on my new SB2000. Had it less than two weeks now, and the sound pressure and "hit" of this thing is giving me blows that lid off my little 12x14 room! I was running Definitive ProSub 80 & 100 ported subs, and the clarity and depth of the sealed 12" crushes the old setup. I've only watched a few movies so far, but "Star Trek" and "National Treasure 2" had some great sudden, low bass hits. The first time I really appreciated the quality though, was watching "Untitled: Almost Famous" yesterday. The soundtrack is really pretty tame in the LFE channel, but in the scenes with the band playing in the arenas, it really recreated that "music hall PA" sound and feeling in the chest. Over the years, I have probably spent $10-15K on A/V stuff, but the SB2000 is the best $700 of it all.
That's great. Congrats!
Tags: Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop