New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 46 - AVS Forum
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!!
nirvy111's Avatar nirvy111 07:29 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname123 View Post
I 1st has dual PB-1000s....quickly upgraded to PB-2000s. I wouldn't call them rubbish but the 1000s definitely left a lot to be desired for me. When I had the volume cranked up to -10 or higher and some heavy LFE hit they just couldn't handle it to my expectations. Now with the dual 2000s its much much better. Watched Gravity last night at -10 or so, and it was just an HBO HD feed but it sounded and felt amazing. Even made the dog start trembling.....that's my telltale sign....that and the wife complaining it's too loud!

Good to know, thanks.

dsrussell's Avatar dsrussell 11:10 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post
At first I thought my pb-1000 sounded pretty good but that was when I had it at lowish volumes during break in, at moderate volume levels it sounded a bit boomy and distorted(unclean). I did all the usual things, subwoofer crawl, receiver calibration(denon x4000), phase shift etc but couldn't get it to sound satisfactory so I had an online chat with guys at svs. They got me to strip the whole thing apart, take out the amp and driver to see what's up. They concluded based on the tests I did that the driver was faulty but I'm not so sure, if they are right then I apologise for the 'rubbish' comment. I didn't want to risk getting another however so I opted to exchange for the pb-2000 which is on it's way.

My room is 2300cuft fully enclosed with fabric frames on the walls and heavy carpet, I use it mostly for movies(6.1) and a bit for music. The pb-1000 didn't have a problem filling the room at my desired volume which is moderate, it just didn't sound very good to me. I did think long and hard about getting either the pb12 plus or sb13ultra but I just can't afford it right now. We'll see how things go with the pb-2000.
Now that explains quite a bit, and why you are unhappy with the PB-1000. A faulty driver will indeed sound like rubbish.

Since you've done everything you could with the PB-1000 … and you sure look like you know all the pitfalls and how to mitigate room modes, I'm hoping you will be highly impressed with the PB-2000. It should provide you with some very impressive bass in that medium size room, and since it is mostly for movies, the PB is a great choice. And yes, let us know what you think once you've set it up.
kam.sanghera 10:03 PM 07-23-2014
Hi Guys, I need advice to select between PB2000, SB2000, or GoldenEar ForceField 5.

My room is 19x13x10 = 2470 cu. feet (volume) and I listen to 50-50 Music Vs. Movies.

I have KEF Q900/Q300/Q600 5.1 setup running on Pioneer VSX-1326.

I am in Vancouver (Canada) and could not find any retailer close by to listen SVS, but I did try ForceField 5 and was amazed by amount of bass coming from it and was about to purchase it when I came across SVS brand and this thread about SB2000 & PB2000 appraisers!

Has anyone listened to all of the above 3 subs? which would you guys recommend? thx in advance
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 11:27 PM 07-23-2014
Here is a previous discussion about the GoldenEar in comparison to SVS. GoldenEar ForceField 5

The PB12-NSD it is being compared to is the previous version of the PB-2000.
kam.sanghera 11:50 PM 07-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Here is a previous discussion about the GoldenEar in comparison to SVS. GoldenEar ForceField 5

The PB12-NSD it is being compared to is the previous version of the PB-2000.
Thanks between PB-2000 and SB-2000? what would your first choice? any why?
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 12:07 AM 07-24-2014
If you were amazed by the amount of bass from the Forcefield, then you want the PB-2000. It's the higher output of the two.
jwtallguy's Avatar jwtallguy 12:23 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
Thanks between PB-2000 and SB-2000? what would your first choice? any why?
Hello, the pb2000 is going to be a much more powerful home theater subwoofer due to being ported vs sealed so the real question is do you have the space for the sub?

As for the ff5 its nice for a compact sub but its no pb2000 and at a lower price point.

Also not sure the shipping cost for you but power sound audio makes killer subs also, the xv15se is more powerful and about 100$ usd so you ha e options out there
dsrussell's Avatar dsrussell 12:26 AM 07-24-2014
Not only did Jim Wilson have a difficult time getting info from these guys, I can't find any "real" specs from them either. I even took a look at their owner's manual and the specs reminded me of Def Tech. They show a frequency response of 12 Hz to 250 Hz … for a 12-inch driver plus passive radiator? Give me a break. Of course they didn't give a plus/minus range with that, so they can say just about anything, and apparently do. Same with the amplifier. GoldenEar shows 1500 watts (S&V noted it as 1,000 watts RMS and 2,000 watts peak), so I'm not sure why GoldenEar doesn't give accurate specs (again, it's the same knock on Def Tech). A thousand watts is impressive, so why exaggerate? And a spec of 24 Hz - 138 Hz plus/minus 3 dB, while certainly not a world beater, is respectable The one review I could find (S&V) noted it down -3 dB at 24 Hz and down -6 dB at 21 Hz. While a far cry from its stated specs, it's probably a very solid subwoofer, especially from 24 Hz on up, but at $1,000 I would have expected more capability or a nice wood finish and not vinyl. The weight at 42 lbs. is probably average for its small size. Heck, my cheap BIC V1220 weighs 42 lbs.

SVS shows the PB-2000 specs at 17 Hz - 260 Hz plus/minus 3 dB, and they don't tend to exaggerate, however, I don't have a clue what an $800 sub in the USA would end up costing you.
kam.sanghera 09:39 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Not only did Jim Wilson have a difficult time getting info from these guys, I can't find any "real" specs from them either. I even took a look at their owner's manual and the specs reminded me of Def Tech. They show a frequency response of 12 Hz to 250 Hz … for a 12-inch driver plus passive radiator? Give me a break. Of course they didn't give a plus/minus range with that, so they can say just about anything, and apparently do. Same with the amplifier. GoldenEar shows 1500 watts (S&V noted it as 1,000 watts RMS and 2,000 watts peak), so I'm not sure why GoldenEar doesn't give accurate specs (again, it's the same knock on Def Tech). A thousand watts is impressive, so why exaggerate? And a spec of 24 Hz - 138 Hz plus/minus 3 dB, while certainly not a world beater, is respectable The one review I could find (S&V) noted it down -3 dB at 24 Hz and down -6 dB at 21 Hz. While a far cry from its stated specs, it's probably a very solid subwoofer, especially from 24 Hz on up, but at $1,000 I would have expected more capability or a nice wood finish and not vinyl. The weight at 42 lbs. is probably average for its small size. Heck, my cheap BIC V1220 weighs 42 lbs.

SVS shows the PB-2000 specs at 17 Hz - 260 Hz plus/minus 3 dB, and they don't tend to exaggerate, however, I don't have a clue what an $800 sub in the USA would end up costing you.
I agree, their specks are not detailed, I was struggling to find their normal RMS, but all they (GoldenEar) list on their site is peak watt! I was trying to go for small size possible without compromising quality, in that case I think I might also start considering SB13 Ultra, somewhat same size as PB-2000 but I believe I will get a lot more satisfying bass out of that bad boy

Is SB13 that much better than PB-2000? (comparing price?) - for room size 2500 cu. feet?
dsrussell's Avatar dsrussell 11:08 AM 07-24-2014
I own the SB13-Ultra and have never auditioned the PB-2000, but yes it will be better than the PB-2000. Is it twice as good since it is twice the price. Heck no. But it fills my 3,500 cu.ft. area without problem. If you need a great small sub, the SB13-Ultra is it for both music and movies (I use mine for music only). It's basically a 17.5-inch cube, with a curved front grille that extends out another 3 inches. But that little puppy weighs 92 lbs., so it isn't light. The PB-2000 is significantly larger at 20.5 H x 17 W x 22 D, not including the grille. It weighs quite a bit less than the SB13 at around 65 lbs. Actually, the PB-2000 will probably be more effective and have more output near its tuning port, but the SB13 has a chance to dig deeper with cabin gain.

Why did I go for the SB13 over a PB-2000? Same reason as you are thinking about it. Size, plus the piano black fits my decor, and of course all around performance for my needs. So if you don't mind paying double for a more convenient size and a bit better sound, go for it. But if I were you, I'd talk to SVS and perhaps audition the PB-2000. If you don't like it return it for the SB13, but I have little doubt that you'll like it, and that keeps a lot of coin in your pocket.
kam.sanghera 07:00 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I own the SB13-Ultra and have never auditioned the PB-2000, but yes it will be better than the PB-2000. Is it twice as good since it is twice the price. Heck no. But it fills my 3,500 cu.ft. area without problem. If you need a great small sub, the SB13-Ultra is it for both music and movies (I use mine for music only). It's basically a 17.5-inch cube, with a curved front grille that extends out another 3 inches. But that little puppy weighs 92 lbs., so it isn't light. The PB-2000 is significantly larger at 20.5 H x 17 W x 22 D, not including the grille. It weighs quite a bit less than the SB13 at around 65 lbs. Actually, the PB-2000 will probably be more effective and have more output near its tuning port, but the SB13 has a chance to dig deeper with cabin gain.

Why did I go for the SB13 over a PB-2000? Same reason as you are thinking about it. Size, plus the piano black fits my decor, and of course all around performance for my needs. So if you don't mind paying double for a more convenient size and a bit better sound, go for it. But if I were you, I'd talk to SVS and perhaps audition the PB-2000. If you don't like it return it for the SB13, but I have little doubt that you'll like it, and that keeps a lot of coin in your pocket.
Thanks for details, very useful! So i did talk to SVS and they recommended PB-2000. I will place an order on sonicboomaudio.com - SVS does not ship directly to Canada
kam.sanghera 07:16 PM 07-24-2014
Done Deal - ordered PB-2000, can't wait to get the shipment
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 07:23 PM 07-24-2014
Awesome! Be sure to let us know what you think when you get it
trog69's Avatar trog69 06:48 AM 07-25-2014
I've auditioned the SB12-NSD and am sending it back today, though very reluctantly. The bass quality is superb for such a tiny box. The one thing I desired, impact from the mid-bass kick drums was possible to achieve, but I ended up battling the limiter at higher volumes because to get that impact I had to set it @1:30, a bit hot but perfect sound. I don't watch movies but I can confirm that it rumbles really well with explosions and such in PC gaming. ( Yeah, I did the Fallout 3 8-round mini-nuke to check. hehehe.)

If not for that detail I would gladly keep the SB12. Whether the SB-2000 would have gotten me that impact I don't know, but I don't have the extra $300 right now, and I'm sure that the ported PB-1000 will give that slam, though I'm betting that I'll be just a little disappointed in the quality of bass sound. I'll post about that when it gets here. I plan to go for the PB-2000 right after Christmas, and then a second when I save enough.

I should add that this is all in a tiny bedroom with the setup being a sound card replacement for this PC. So music is about 80% and gaming/YouTube videos the other 20%.

I would really love to hear the SB-Ultra, but that's more than I can afford while raising two grandchildren. My son is just tickled pink to get this PSW505, so happy all around. I'm lucky to have very laid-back neighbors as well.
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom 06:52 AM 07-25-2014
I think you should save up for the SB Ultra 13, tbh. I've had a few SVS's, and if music is priority I'd take it over the ported models, which aren't the best. Was never really impressed with PC Plus/Ultra for music.
tommaazz's Avatar tommaazz 06:57 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post
I've auditioned the SB12-NSD and am sending it back today, though very reluctantly. The bass quality is superb for such a tiny box. The one thing I desired, impact from the mid-bass kick drums was possible to achieve, but I ended up battling the limiter at higher volumes because to get that impact I had to set it @1:30, a bit hot but perfect sound. I don't watch movies but I can confirm that it rumbles really well with explosions and such in PC gaming. ( Yeah, I did the Fallout 3 8-round mini-nuke to check. hehehe.)

If not for that detail I would gladly keep the SB12. Whether the SB-2000 would have gotten me that impact I don't know, but I don't have the extra $300 right now, and I'm sure that the ported PB-1000 will give that slam, though I'm betting that I'll be just a little disappointed in the quality of bass sound. I'll post about that when it gets here. I plan to go for the PB-2000 right after Christmas, and then a second when I save enough.

I should add that this is all in a tiny bedroom with the setup being a sound card replacement for this PC. So music is about 80% and gaming/YouTube videos the other 20%.

I would really love to hear the SB-Ultra, but that's more than I can afford while raising two grandchildren. My son is just tickled pink to get this PSW505, so happy all around. I'm lucky to have very laid-back neighbors as well.
I am waiting for your reply also as i am on the fence either . I have 2xsb12 in 1600 cubic foot closed room and sometimes i miss that impact in movies but overall it sounds really great just a little more impact is what i need but on the other hand i am scared of boomy bass which i had befor on my ported sub...i am playing with thought to buy one pb12+ and be done with it or 2xpb1000 (price effective) or maybe even sb13ultra (but is expensive here in europe). Please report your observations
trog69's Avatar trog69 07:05 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
I am waiting for your reply also as i am on the fence either . I have 2xsb12 in 1600 cubic foot closed room and sometimes i miss that impact in movies but overall it sounds really great just a little more impact is what i need but on the other hand i am scared of boomy bass which i had befor on my ported sub...i am playing with thought to buy one pb12+ and be done with it or 2xpb1000 (price effective) or maybe even sb13ultra (but is expensive here in europe). Please report your observations
Will do. I really loved the bass from that sealed sub. I know I won't get as good quality bass as the sealed sub, but I have a ported Polk Audio hooked up now and I like the sound and impact, so I'll be comparing the PB-1000 against this 505 rather than comparing against the SB12.

As for going up to the Ultra, I'm not happy enough with this 505 to wait that long. I can always trade up via SVS or sell the 1000 and then upgrade. The 505 is a wonderful and impactful sub for the $150 I paid for it, new. Of course that is relative, and I'm betting the 1000 will wow me enough for the present. Like I said, I have grandkids to help raise and spoil. Priorities are a biatch!
tommaazz's Avatar tommaazz 07:13 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post
Will do. I really loved the bass from that sealed sub. I know I won't get as good quality bass as the sealed sub, but I have a ported Polk Audio hooked up now and I like the sound and impact, so I'll be comparing the PB-1000 against this 505 rather than comparing against the SB12.

As for going up to the Ultra, I'm not happy enough with this 505 to wait that long. I can always trade up via SVS or sell the 1000 and then upgrade. The 505 is a wonderful and impactful sub for the $150 I paid for it, new. Of course that is relative, and I'm betting the 1000 will wow me enough for the present. Like I said, I have grandkids to help raise and spoil. Priorities are a biatch!
Agree for priorities on grandchildrens . I also have a 6 year old boy so he needs a lot of stuff either hope he goes my way when it comes to hifi and homecinema ...but sometimes we have to spoil ourselves too so i might ger that ultra soon
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom 07:20 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Go for the SB Ultra 13. Had PC Plus and again no brill with music
tommaazz's Avatar tommaazz 07:35 AM 07-25-2014
I wish it was a cheaper in europe i might already have it but it is expensive. The pb12plus is cheaper and i can make it sealed too that is why i would like to have pb12plus. I am around 60/40 for movies. I like a little rumbling in movies but also very like my curent subs in music. Just the movies are giving me hard time deciding would seling one sb12 and getting pb2000 be good idea? Mix one sb12 in one corner and pb2000 in other
trog69's Avatar trog69 07:39 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Agree for priorities on grandchildrens . I also have a 6 year old boy so he needs a lot of stuff either hope he goes my way when it comes to hifi and homecinema ...but sometimes we have to spoil ourselves too so i might ger that ultra soon
I agree. I just installed a $500 graphics card in this PC, and it took a bit of saving to do it and get the kids some clothes for Summer, but I don't need much other than these toys I enjoy so much. As for you boy, I'm sure he'll follow in your sound system footprints. heh. Good luck to you.
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom 07:39 AM 07-25-2014
About 1700 euros, £1500 GBP.

Also I don't believe the Ported Ultra models, in sealed mode are as good as the SB U13
tommaazz's Avatar tommaazz 08:03 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
About 1700 euros, £1500 GBP.

Also I don't believe the Ported Ultra models, in sealed mode are as good as the SB U13
Yes i agree that sb13 is better than ported in sealed mode but yiu can decide if you want your room to shake in movies or listen to a laid back sub in music. I also like sb13 a lot but it is too expensive. Dont know i will probably keep those sb12 as i am getting used to them and more listen to them the more i like them just.in the movies i would like a little more spl.down low
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom 08:14 AM 07-25-2014
SBU13 shakes the room fine. Also if you change tune it means re-running sub EQ.

Not gonna happen LOL
tommaazz's Avatar tommaazz 08:19 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
SBU13 shakes the room fine. Also if you change tune it means re-running sub EQ.

Not gonna happen LOL
Yes that is really annoying but on the other hand you can just calibrate it for movies and for music run it in pure direct and seal those holes . If it were in europe the equivalent price in euros as is in dollars i would certanly had sb13 ultra
tezster's Avatar tezster 05:03 PM 07-28-2014
I see that the SB2000 is now available in Piano black (for a little extra $$$)
nirvy111's Avatar nirvy111 04:50 AM 07-29-2014
I now have the pb-2000 after exchanging it with the pb-1000, my feelings are somewhat mixed but mostly positive. The pb-2000 clearly has greater output and goes lower than the pb-1000 and this is helping to fill my room space, I now feel like I'm getting some good bass immersion in movies and the sound feels fuller and warmer. On the negative side though I don't hear much in the way of improved clarity or detail between the pb-1000 and 2000. I tried both subwoofers for two channel music and neither sounded all that good to me. I think for music I might be better off upgrading my bookshelf mains to floorstanders and just keep the pb-2000 subwoofer purely for the LFE in movies.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 07:37 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
I now have the pb-2000 after exchanging it with the pb-1000, my feelings are somewhat mixed but mostly positive. The pb-2000 clearly has greater output and goes lower than the pb-1000 and this is helping to fill my room space, I now feel like I'm getting some good bass immersion in movies and the sound feels fuller and warmer. On the negative side though I don't hear much in the way of improved clarity or detail between the pb-1000 and 2000. I tried both subwoofers for two channel music and neither sounded all that good to me. I think for music I might be better off upgrading my bookshelf mains to floorstanders and just keep the pb-2000 subwoofer purely for the LFE in movies.
What is your setup as far as receiver? And have you tried different locations?
nirvy111's Avatar nirvy111 08:29 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
What is your setup as far as receiver? And have you tried different locations?

My receiver is the Denon x4000. I did a quick calibration but I haven't tried different locations yet.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:42 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
My receiver is the Denon x4000. I did a quick calibration but I haven't tried different locations yet.
Worth a shot. Audyssey XT32 will certainly help a lot with the EQing the sub, but it could be that the location is bad.
Tags: Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop