New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
Done Deal - ordered PB-2000, can't wait to get the shipment
I got the PB-2000 two days ago but so far I could not get it to work properly!

I have KEF Q900 - front, Q600 centre, Q300 rear 5.1 setup, running on Pioneer VSX-1326-K receiver.

I ran MCACC, then set the front speakers to large, rear to small and cross over to 50 HZ.

I do not feel sub during music play, yes it does play when I run deep bass test videos from youtube, but in general R&B style music I don't feel it much. Even my Logitech Z2300 (cheap $200 setup), plays louder what am I doing wrong here?
kam.sanghera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
nirvy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
I got the PB-2000 two days ago but so far I could not get it to work properly!

I have KEF Q900 - front, Q600 centre, Q300 rear 5.1 setup, running on Pioneer VSX-1326-K receiver.

I ran MCACC, then set the front speakers to large, rear to small and cross over to 50 HZ.

I do not feel sub during music play, yes it does play when I run deep bass test videos from youtube, but in general R&B style music I don't feel it much. Even my Logitech Z2300 (cheap $200 setup), plays louder what am I doing wrong here?

You might be getting more bass from the Kef Q900's making it hard to hear the subwoofer. Relatively speaking the pb-2000 is not that powerful in my opinion. It's good for small systems using bookshelf speakers in small to moderate room sizes. Having said that I would still look at your calibration, there might be something you can improve.
nirvy111 is offline  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
I got the PB-2000 two days ago but so far I could not get it to work properly!

I have KEF Q900 - front, Q600 centre, Q300 rear 5.1 setup, running on Pioneer VSX-1326-K receiver.

I ran MCACC, then set the front speakers to large, rear to small and cross over to 50 HZ.

I do not feel sub during music play, yes it does play when I run deep bass test videos from youtube, but in general R&B style music I don't feel it much. Even my Logitech Z2300 (cheap $200 setup), plays louder what am I doing wrong here?
Set your Q900 to small 60hz.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Joost80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Near Amsterdam
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post
You might be getting more bass from the Kef Q900's making it hard to hear the subwoofer. Relatively speaking the pb-2000 is not that powerful in my opinion. It's good for small systems using bookshelf speakers in small to moderate room sizes. Having said that I would still look at your calibration, there might be something you can improve.
Sir, your opinion is bogus. I get monster bass with my similar speaker setup and an sc57 equal lx85. It is a true and tested sub and rated large bij audioholics and rated highly by professionals and end users.

50 or 60 hz doesn't matter that much. It's either defective or something is wrong in the setup.

My 'opinion'....
Joost80 is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
I got the PB-2000 two days ago but so far I could not get it to work properly!

I have KEF Q900 - front, Q600 centre, Q300 rear 5.1 setup, running on Pioneer VSX-1326-K receiver.

I ran MCACC, then set the front speakers to large, rear to small and cross over to 50 HZ.

I do not feel sub during music play, yes it does play when I run deep bass test videos from youtube, but in general R&B style music I don't feel it much. Even my Logitech Z2300 (cheap $200 setup), plays louder what am I doing wrong here?
Congrats on the new sub!

Where Did you set the volume on the sub before you ran the calibration program? Some have found that setting it somewhere from 1-3 o'clock position work's well. I have mine between 1-2. Also did you move the subs crossover dial all the way to the right on the sub to LFE so it will only use your AVR's crossover settings?

You may try rerunning the calibration then setting all speakers to small and the crossover to 80hz so more bass is sent to the sub. Then you can adjust from there after you hear how that sounds. As you have good towers they can be set lower as stated above but try this first. Most will run the sub 3-4db hot also once everything is worked out. I run 3-4db's for music and 5-6db's for movie's.

I own this sub and can say it's has no problem filling my 3000cf space with bass for music and house shaking bass for movies. I hope you get it set up and can enjoy what this sub has to offer.

You may also have something wrong with the sub as it happen's, just give SVS a call and they will be able to help you out. They have great costumer service.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
discone is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
nirvy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost80 View Post
Sir, your opinion is bogus. I get monster bass with my similar speaker setup and an sc57 equal lx85. It is a true and tested sub and rated large bij audioholics and rated highly by professionals and end users.

50 or 60 hz doesn't matter that much. It's either defective or something is wrong in the setup.

My 'opinion'....

I have the pb-2000 and find it reasonably strong for movies but a bit weak for music.
nirvy111 is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post
I have the pb-2000 and find it reasonably strong for movies but a bit weak for music.
I have only a PB-1000, and it does seem to be more forceful for movies than music. However, I think it's just accurately reproducing the material. If I put a bass-heavy piece of music in, the PB-1000 will start pounding pretty hard. If I turn it up to give more impact to other music, it will be too much for the actual bass-heavy tracks. What I think is that if the sub isn't making the sound, the sound isn't in the material.

There are curves you can apply (if you have a dsp, like the miniDSP, or some EQ capability on your sub output) to boost the punch of music (probably something like boosting the 50-80 Hz range). I have considered having a mini-DSP program for movies, and another for music, but haven't tried that yet.

I may add a PB-2000 to my setup, which I'm thinking will give me some headroom and punch.
ThinkRationally is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post
I have the pb-2000 and find it reasonably strong for movies but a bit weak for music.
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
I have only a PB-1000, and it does seem to be more forceful for movies than music. However, I think it's just accurately reproducing the material. If I put a bass-heavy piece of music in, the PB-1000 will start pounding pretty hard. If I turn it up to give more impact to other music, it will be too much for the actual bass-heavy tracks. What I think is that if the sub isn't making the sound, the sound isn't in the material.

There are curves you can apply (if you have a dsp, like the miniDSP, or some EQ capability on your sub output) to boost the punch of music (probably something like boosting the 50-80 Hz range). I have considered having a mini-DSP program for movies, and another for music, but haven't tried that yet.

I may add a PB-2000 to my setup, which I'm thinking will give me some headroom and punch.
I Agree with you, it seems like sub only plays if there are low notes in the music, because when I played test tones of various low frequencies it did start to shake the room! I think I was looking for more of a musical sub, the bass that could be both heard & felt!
kam.sanghera is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Congrats on the new sub!

Where Did you set the volume on the sub before you ran the calibration program? Some have found that setting it somewhere from 1-3 o'clock position work's well. I have mine between 1-2. Also did you move the subs crossover dial all the way to the right on the sub to LFE so it will only use your AVR's crossover settings?

You may try rerunning the calibration then setting all speakers to small and the crossover to 80hz so more bass is sent to the sub. Then you can adjust from there after you hear how that sounds. As you have good towers they can be set lower as stated above but try this first. Most will run the sub 3-4db hot also once everything is worked out. I run 3-4db's for music and 5-6db's for movie's.

I own this sub and can say it's has no problem filling my 3000cf space with bass for music and house shaking bass for movies. I hope you get it set up and can enjoy what this sub has to offer.

You may also have something wrong with the sub as it happen's, just give SVS a call and they will be able to help you out. They have great costumer service.
Thanks I calibrated it by setting the knob to 1 o'clock, and I tried pushing sub level all the way to +12 (max on pioneer), the bass gets too kicky (if that's a word) but not enjoyable! It was more like I was pushing the sub to create artificial bass and it was trying to do so!

I called SVS and they mentioned to try RCA splitter to give dual input to sub, which did improve things but not to a level I was excepting. Maybe it is because KEF Q900 throw decent amount of bass, which makes sub to struggle to show it's performance at low volumes?
kam.sanghera is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Set your Q900 to small 60hz.
When I set my Q900 to small, it seems like it compromises their performance, the fullness of sound is gone and they play like small little cheap speakers

I also tried to play with cross over from 50,60,100+ etc. - setting cross over to high level make the sub give more presence but again it felt like it is trying to steal the sound from speakers.

A question, when we set the cross over to say 60HZ, does this mean all the frequencies below 60 will only go to sub and not to speakers? or does it mean sub will only get frequencies up-to 60 but speakers will still get all frequencies below & above 60? I am trying to see if putting higher crossover is choking speakers from getting low frequencies?
kam.sanghera is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Member
 
Horace Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Even if you upgraded to the SB13-Ultra you would have to set your front speakers to small. Music will never sound better with a sub and set to large. Your choice.
Horace Clark is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
When I set my Q900 to small, it seems like it compromises their performance, the fullness of sound is gone and they play like small little cheap speakers

I also tried to play with cross over from 50,60,100+ etc. - setting cross over to high level make the sub give more presence but again it felt like it is trying to steal the sound from speakers.

A question, when we set the cross over to say 60HZ, does this mean all the frequencies below 60 will only go to sub and not to speakers? or does it mean sub will only get frequencies up-to 60 but speakers will still get all frequencies below & above 60? I am trying to see if putting higher crossover is choking speakers from getting low frequencies?
Your mains don't reach down to 20hz. Therefore you shouldn't set them to large. I'd set them to no lower than small 40hz.

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/...standing/Q900/

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
morrischestnut60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
Thanks I calibrated it by setting the knob to 1 o'clock, and I tried pushing sub level all the way to +12 (max on pioneer), the bass gets too kicky (if that's a word) but not enjoyable! It was more like I was pushing the sub to create artificial bass and it was trying to do so!

I called SVS and they mentioned to try RCA splitter to give dual input to sub, which did improve things but not to a level I was excepting. Maybe it is because KEF Q900 throw decent amount of bass, which makes sub to struggle to show it's performance at low volumes?
My experience.

Make sure the crossover on the back of the sub is turned all the way to the right(regardless of input just for the heck of it).

I think you should cross your fronts at 60 and rear/center at 80.

Don't be afraid to turn up the gain on the back of the sub before calibration, maybe just above halfway. I have owned a few SVS subs.

I use Denon receivers and the Stereo setting is in the "Advanced Audio Options". Make sure you set the stereo settings in your receiver if applicable. This is separate from the regular crossover settings.

Good luck.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
morrischestnut60 is offline  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post
My experience.

Make sure the crossover on the back of the sub is turned all the way to the right(regardless of input just for the heck of it).

I think you should cross your fronts at 60 and rear/center at 80.

Don't be afraid to turn up the gain on the back of the sub before calibration, maybe just above halfway. I have owned a few SVS subs.

I use Denon receivers and the Stereo setting is in the "Advanced Audio Options". Make sure you set the stereo settings in your receiver if applicable. This is separate from the regular crossover settings.

Good luck.
I set the crossover to 50, my receiver doesn't give option for separate crossovers between front & back

so far looking good - thanks everyone for the suggestions
kam.sanghera is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Member
 
pviljaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have also Q900 pair. I run my Q900 "small" also, lowpass crossover around 80 Hz. Well i dont have a dedicated AVR but using a dedicated pre-pro / power amp.
Q900's starts to drop around 40 Hz either way. Its better to give the low end to the subwoofer. I route the signal through pb2000 own line output (highpassed at 80 Hz) relieving the Q900 from the lowest bass notes. Stereo Imaging and audio quality changed for better after that. Its a GOOD thing to relieve your main speakers from the lowest bass notes, even if you think these Q900 are "full range speakers". They are not

Last edited by pviljaka; 08-03-2014 at 12:50 PM.
pviljaka is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 118
At looong last, I'll be upgrading my sub - I'm replacing my trusty and faithful Energy 10.3 with an SB-2000 I've had the 10.3 for over 7 years - it's the only piece of equipment I have left from my very first setup when I was still living with my parents. So, while I'll be sad to see it go for sentimental reasons, I'm very much looking forward to the new level of bass I should be experiencing. The SB-2000 is small enough to fit in the exact same spot I currently have my existing sub (which is a bonus - no need to rearrange furniture!). I have a small but open floorplan (about 1600 ft^3 total), so I'm thinking the SB-2000 should perform nicely.

I'm picking up the sub from a local distributor on Saturday.
tezster is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
At looong last, I'll be upgrading my sub - I'm replacing my trusty and faithful Energy 10.3 with an SB-2000
I'm picking up the sub from a local distributor on Saturday.
Congrat's! Once you get it all set up you'll have to stop by and give your thought's.
discone is online now  
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Nikwasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nantahala
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
At looong last, I'll be upgrading my sub - I'm replacing my trusty and faithful Energy 10.3 with an SB-2000
I'm a big fan of the SB-2000 who hopes to add a second one by year's end. I hope you love it, and I think you will.
Nikwasi is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 340
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...0#.U-yh6WOwVaQ

Now available in gloss. Much nicer than the vinyl wrap (not even real wood)

$100 extra though

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Member
 
Tweaver1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
At looong last, I'll be upgrading my sub - I'm replacing my trusty and faithful Energy 10.3 with an SB-2000 I've had the 10.3 for over 7 years - it's the only piece of equipment I have left from my very first setup when I was still living with my parents. So, while I'll be sad to see it go for sentimental reasons, I'm very much looking forward to the new level of bass I should be experiencing. The SB-2000 is small enough to fit in the exact same spot I currently have my existing sub (which is a bonus - no need to rearrange furniture!). I have a small but open floorplan (about 1600 ft^3 total), so I'm thinking the SB-2000 should perform nicely.

I'm picking up the sub from a local distributor on Saturday.

Don't let it go..Run both!!!My 10.3 is playing nicely with my PB2000
Tweaver1 is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Member
 
avkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Svs sb-2000 or svs pb-2000?

Hi guys hoping some of you might the able to help me.

My theatre room is sealed at about 17ft x 17ft with 9ft ceilings. I will have all round Definitive Technology in walls speakers with 3 x UIW RLSII for the fronts behind an acoustically transparent projector screen and 2 x UIW RSSII for surrounds. Everything driven by a Denon x4000.

Im not a big fan of clutter so the whole setup is a new build and very clean install with no speakers, cables or av equipment in view.

Now I have come to choose the subs and I'm not sure which to go with, ideally the subs would go at the front corners of the room. For my budget I have narrowed it down to either 2 x SB-2000 or 2 x PB-2000. I prefer the look of the SB-2000's as they come in piano black (not sure i like the black oak) and are A LOT smaller than the PB-2000's, I think they would be more fitting for the room aesthetically. But would I be making a mistake getting the SB-2000's as appose to the PB-2000's?

Any advice would be appreciated. :-)
avkiller is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Your room is 2,600 cu. ft. placing it in the medium-size category. No, you wouldn't be making a mistake ... unless you do not live in the USA, then perhaps you might be. But if you do live in the USA, then try out the SB-2000 and if they don't work as well as you want, send them back and get the PB-2000.
dsrussell is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Member
 
avkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Your room is 2,600 cu. ft. placing it in the medium-size category. No, you wouldn't be making a mistake ... unless you do not live in the USA, then perhaps you might be. But if you do live in the USA, then try out the SB-2000 and if they don't work as well as you want, send them back and get the PB-2000.
Yes unfortunately I do not live in the US so I don't have that luxury.
avkiller is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by avkiller View Post
Yes unfortunately I do not live in the US so I don't have that luxury.
That's a bummer. Not sure what to tell you. The PB-2000 will go deeper and with more output, but the SB-2000 isn't exactly a slouch. And since your room is considered medium size, two SB-2000 "should" work very well for you. Even if your room made it into the low end of the large room category (3,000 cu. ft), I still think two SB-2000 would be pretty impressive. Hopefully some SB-2000 owners will drop by and give you input.

If it were me? I'd nix getting two subs and go for one SB13-Ultra (unless you have a large seating area). I have one of those and it does very well in my 3,500 cu. ft. room that is fairly open. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on a tough decision.

BTW, did you check with SVS to see what they recommend?
dsrussell is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Member
 
avkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That's a bummer. Not sure what to tell you. The PB-2000 will go deeper and with more output, but the SB-2000 isn't exactly a slouch. And since your room is considered medium size, two SB-2000 "should" work very well for you. Even if your room made it into the low end of the large room category (3,000 cu. ft), I still think two SB-2000 would be pretty impressive. Hopefully some SB-2000 owners will drop by and give you input.

If it were me? I'd nix getting two subs and go for one SB13-Ultra (unless you have a large seating area). I have one of those and it does very well in my 3,500 cu. ft. room that is fairly open. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on a tough decision.

BTW, did you check with SVS to see what they recommend?
Yep had a chat with SVS online and they said both are good but the PB-2000 is better for movies, like you said it will go deeper. Not sure which to go with at the moment. Thanks for the help though!
avkiller is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaver1 View Post
Don't let it go..Run both!!!My 10.3 is playing nicely with my PB2000
Unfortunately, I don't have that much space to work with... but, I won't be getting rid of the 10.3 anytime soon. I *might* have enough room to co-locate both subs i.e. with one stacked on top of the other, but that's about it as far as two-sub placement goes. I'll run the SB-2000 on its own to start with, then go for there
tezster is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 118
So, I picked up my SB-2000 this morning, and swapped out the old sub. First impressions are, it's definitely.... different. From an aesthetics standpoint, I can't believe how small this thing is - it's tiny. I quite like the metal grill (I have cats, and this for me, ths is a godsend). And the rounded corners is also a nice touch. What I'm not a fan of is the power indicator light. I've stuck translucent tape on every light emitting display of all my gear, so I'll be doing the same with this sub. After re-running Audyssey and listening to a few music tracks, the bass didn't really jump out at me. I feel that I got more 'chest-thump' from my Energy 10.3. Having said that, I think that I have gotten accustomed somewhat to the slight boominess of that sub. The SB-2000 felt much more controlled and refined, no really calling undue attention to itself.

Next up was Master and Commander. This is where the SB-2000 really performed very well. The room-shaking output was present, but that wasn't what impressed me - it was the integration of the sub with the rest of the audio. Hearing how the sub delivers the 'quiet bass' moments, such as the running footsteps of the sailors on the main deck as heard from below, then ratcheting up to the recoil of the cannon fire, I could hear much more detail.

So, the sub didn't exactly floor me with sheer wall-ratting output, but it's definitely an improvement in sonic quality.

A few pics... comparison of the SB-2000 stacked on top of the Energy 10.3. They look similar in size, but the SB-2000 is definitely smaller.



Integrated into my HT system:


Glamour shot
tezster is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
jwtallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster , CA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
So, I picked up my SB-2000 this morning, and swapped out the old sub. First impressions are, it's definitely.... different. From an aesthetics standpoint, I can't believe how small this thing is - it's tiny. I quite like the metal grill (I have cats, and this for me, ths is a godsend). And the rounded corners is also a nice touch. What I'm not a fan of is the power indicator light. I've stuck translucent tape on every light emitting display of all my gear, so I'll be doing the same with this sub. After re-running Audyssey and listening to a few music tracks, the bass didn't really jump out at me. I feel that I got more 'chest-thump' from my Energy 10.3. Having said that, I think that I have gotten accustomed somewhat to the slight boominess of that sub. The SB-2000 felt much more controlled and refined, no really calling undue attention to itself.

Next up was Master and Commander. This is where the SB-2000 really performed very well. The room-shaking output was present, but that wasn't what impressed me - it was the integration of the sub with the rest of the audio. Hearing how the sub delivers the 'quiet bass' moments, such as the running footsteps of the sailors on the main deck as heard from below, then ratcheting up to the recoil of the cannon fire, I could hear much more detail.

So, the sub didn't exactly floor me with sheer wall-ratting output, but it's definitely an improvement in sonic quality.

A few pics... comparison of the SB-2000 stacked on top of the Energy 10.3. They look similar in size, but the SB-2000 is definitely smaller.



Integrated into my HT system:


Glamour shot
Well a ported will show off a lot more output then their sealed subs, I can tell you when I run my svs in sealed vs ported its an increase of what feels like 3 times the deep bass or room shaking bass, maybe you need a ported also as I dont know your room or listening habits
jwtallguy is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 3,671
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by avkiller View Post
Hi guys hoping some of you might the able to help me.

My theatre room is sealed at about 17ft x 17ft with 9ft ceilings. I will have all round Definitive Technology in walls speakers with 3 x UIW RLSII for the fronts behind an acoustically transparent projector screen and 2 x UIW RSSII for surrounds. Everything driven by a Denon x4000.

Im not a big fan of clutter so the whole setup is a new build and very clean install with no speakers, cables or av equipment in view.

Now I have come to choose the subs and I'm not sure which to go with, ideally the subs would go at the front corners of the room. For my budget I have narrowed it down to either 2 x SB-2000 or 2 x PB-2000. I prefer the look of the SB-2000's as they come in piano black (not sure i like the black oak) and are A LOT smaller than the PB-2000's, I think they would be more fitting for the room aesthetically. But would I be making a mistake getting the SB-2000's as appose to the PB-2000's?

Any advice would be appreciated. :-)

For a theater I would get the dual PB2000's for sure. I have heard duals in a theater larger than yours and they sounded really good. I actually had a PB2000 for about 3 days and liked it as well, but could not integrate it with my other subs, so I sent it back. It was just an experiment.
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Member
 
avkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
For a theater I would get the dual PB2000's for sure. I have heard duals in a theater larger than yours and they sounded really good. I actually had a PB2000 for about 3 days and liked it as well, but could not integrate it with my other subs, so I sent it back. It was just an experiment.
Thanks for the advice... Looks like i might be getting dual PB2000's, the only other option to consider is a single pb13-ultra?
avkiller is offline  
 

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off