New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1484 Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 197
So the sub is four feet away from all walls near the middle of the room? I was thinking that the OP was saying that the sub was four feet from the other wall and not in the corner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1484 Old 09-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i said that wrong, it is on a wall near what would be a corner wall but instead is a 4' opening to another room. also is there a break in period on the pb2000
post #1473 of 1484 Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post
i said that wrong, it is on a wall near what would be a corner wall but instead is a 4' opening to another room. also is there a break in period on the pb2000
If I understand you correctly, I have a somewhat analogous situation. My front right corner is an open doorway to an alcove, which is closed off otherwise by a door to a bedroom that leads from the alcove. I have the PB2000 ~ 1 foot from that doorway on the right half-wall , which divides the room there from an open stairwell going downstairs. I have the sub pointing away from the right wall toward the middle of the room, almost exactly inline with the front speaker plane, with a leather love seat alongside it on its other side. This spot was a good one on my sub-crawl and I'm thankful for that as it's a good spot for aesthetics and function too.

I would consider myself one of the least expert posters on this board about subwoofers but as many say, that particular sub in that particular room and its placement will be the deciding factor whether it works or not. My listening area is the living room portion of a great room, constituting probably one-third of a 30X25+ sq ft room, with vaulted ceilings (multiple peaks up to ~ 12 ft), with an open stairwell, the above noted alcove and a long hallway off the opposite side, adding up to well over 7000 cu ft. Its a complicated room with half-walls, many acute corner angles, wall to wall carpet (wood subflooring) except for the adjacent kitchen with wood flooring, fieldstone fireplace, some drywall walls with art (or not), a wood covered wall and wallpaper and cabinets in the kitchen and dining areas. By "the numbers" this sub should be woefully inadequate by what I've read and learned here and elsewhere, however, I think it sounds fantastic.

It is a very bass responsive room but not "boomy" nor is the sub. I'm finding the LF bass in music to be quite clear and I've been listening obsessively to all kinds of heavy bass music since I got it last week, as well as my usual gamut of A-Z (Alternative to Zydeco) tunes and find it quite musical. The even bigger bonus is that it rumbles the listening area and me with the infra-20 Hz special effects in movies. I just finished watching Das Boot (BD with DTS-HD-Master soundtrack), which has a great SF/X soundtrack to begin with, and those depth charges, bombing runs and wave crashes are concussive and visceral. Same with Saving Private Ryan and Pacific Rim. As I've read posts from others who consider the PB2000 anemic in rooms the size of my smallest bedroom, I can only conclude that their room acoustics are seriously working against them, or they have some expectation from a SW that I could not even begin to understand. In a nutshell, I do believe this big room with all of its complicating factors ends up truly working for me. Apparently I got lucky.

This PB2000 is replacing a Paradigm PDR10 that suddenly developed its own rattle after many years of good service. Frankly, I was pretty happy with it and started off thinking I was going to replace with a budget 12" sub but after a few pieces of sound advice on the budget sub thread, I did a little more research and opted for this excellent SW. I'm not a "basshead" by any stretch but cannot believe I could utilize more than what this sub delivers. My volume listening habits are pretty tame too, so I've yet to test this unit to its extreme either. I'm not even sure why I chose this sub over others at a similar price point, once I decided to up the ante, other than what I was reading about it and SVS, which made sense for me.

So what's my point? My suggestion, as I'm in no position to give advice, is to try it. The return policy on these is insane, which is great for the consumer. If it doesn't work you really have lost nothing. As far as a break-in period, I'm sure there is one. I bought this one as an outlet special. It has a nearly invisible "bubble" in the vinyl rap in a corner that's hidden where I've placed it anyway, so I don't know if it's a return that's been used awhile or a new blemished unit. It keeps sounding better to me FWIW.

BTW, at this point I have just dialed it in myself with my piddly Audyssey 2EQ, which doesn't even equalize a SW. I'm planning on talking to the SVS guys still to see if they have anything to add for further benefit. I don't have any calibrating gear but can tell I get some volume drop somewhere between 45-50 Hz and somewhere between 55-60 Hz just by listening to a low end sweep. Unscientific I know, so maybe I'll get one of those USB mics and try REW one of these days. Walking around the whole great room I can certainly ID nulls, though it's of little relevance as 99.9% of all listening is from my wife's and my recliners, which by ear are nearly identical and where all of the sound is focused. It certainly begins to rattle the room by 10 Hz and appears pretty solid to me by 15 Hz, hence is living up to its reputation of digging deep.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO

Last edited by DocCasualty; 09-06-2014 at 04:33 PM.
post #1474 of 1484 Old 09-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello All,

I'm new to stereo systems but I recently got me a Rotel RA-1570 Integrated amp and a pair of B&W 683 S2 for music only. For 80% of the music I listen the tower loudspeakers are awesome. Love the highs and vocals are great. Bass it's great too specially with live music, jazz and plenty of other genres. I listen to just about everything including modern music like electronic, dance and hip hop. Personally I think I would benefit from some subs. I posted this on other threads but I was told the 683s should be plenty good on bass. I believe music styles plays a roll and they may be right but I fell I need some subs just to bring up the lower end, in a balance way. No overpowering the main satellite speakers at all and cross over smoothly.

The 683s specs says, Frequency response 52Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis and Frequency range -6dB at 30Hz and 50kHz.

I'm not expert but I'm thinking below 52Hz it's not loud enough. My living room is open to the kitchen and dinning room so may be the room is too big? I have high selling that starts about 10 feet and goes up to about 16 feet. the room is about 19 feet wide and length is about 16 feet to the point where the kitchen and dinner starts but there not wall in between.

So after reading online I decided to buy me one SB-2000 now with plans of getting a second one later. It will get here in a few days so I would like to ask for some information on how I go about setting it up. I will continue to research online but I would like to know what you guys think.

What should I look for? I was planning on putting it right beside the left speaker tower? It's that ok? It's there a starting Hz level I should set the Low Pass Filter to start with?

I heard they got CDs with tracks design to test the setting of crossover but I don't have a CD player at the moment, is there a website where I can buy the tracks online?

What else should I look for? Thanks. Your help it's appreciated.

Last edited by Gerardo2068; 09-14-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #1475 of 1484 Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 185
With those speakers, I'd play with crossover no higher than 60hz. Also you may want to use the high pass filter in the sub, if your integrated has pre-out and main in.

Personally I don't think a sub is required in music system if you have floorstanders. I have collection of standmounts, tower, and subs, home theatre and hifi.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1476 of 1484 Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 766
With the Rotel RA-1570, I would try the left/right pre-outs/main-ins. If you run those pre-outs to the SB-2000, and then run the SB-2000 outs back to the main ins, the sub will put a high pass filter at 80hz on the signal sent back to your amp. Then you set the low pass filter dial on the SB-2000 to 80hz. That gives you a higher crossover. You may or may not like that.

You also have a second set of pre-outs up near your analog inputs. Not sure if that's volume controlled or not (should be since labeled "pre-out"). If so, you can run that to the SB-2000 inputs. Then set the low pass filter dial on the SB-2000 to around 50hz and tweak from there. Might like it a bit higher. Or a bit lower. The idea is that you are trying to match the high pass filter with the low end roll of your speakers.

In both cases, you would adjust the gain (volume) on the SB-2000 to match the volume of your speakers.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #1477 of 1484 Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
I was planning on putting it right beside the left speaker tower? It's that ok?
Try the subwoofer crawl. Worked for me and everybody seems to recommend it. http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...ofer-placement
Quote:
is there a website where I can buy the tracks online?
I don't know but you can find test sweeps and test tones on YouTube.

Lastly, don't hesitate to contact the guys at SVS for help. Enjoy that new sub!

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #1478 of 1484 Old 09-14-2014, 03:22 PM

Thanks!! That was a lot great information and helped me understanding better the goal here. I like the the idea of connecting them to the Pre-out beside the analog plugs and set it as low as I can like 60 or below because I really like how the 683s sound and I'm just trying to bring some of the sound below 50-60Hz up to balance the rest of the system.

Last edited by Gerardo2068; 09-14-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #1479 of 1484 Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Got the SB-2000 on the mail and I set it up.

I mess with it a bit and right now it's about 60hz, the main speakers are rated 52hz-3 and i use my ear and an iPad app slp metter. I do not own a real one but just to have a guide for now. I play sine wave at 60hz and try to match the metter to the same reading and level. Alternate the speakers and sub switch speaker channel on and off.

Now that it's to my liking for now if I play the sub only I can see that it barely play any music at all. Just a bit of the low bass and a bit of thump.

But I feel that even that little bit brings the balance I'm looking for. So the speakers alone will not go deep enogh but the sub just beraly puts out sound but I feel that was that some b&w 801 would have been the best choice of speakers for me but hey are way out of my budget lol

So I'm happy with the sound I'm getting so far. I really like the vocals and highs of the 683 s2 a lot. I will probably adjust the sub some more after many more hours of listening.

Thanks.
post #1480 of 1484 Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

"I play sine wave at 60hz"

Wrong tone, you want a wide band pink noise, your AVR has it.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1481 of 1484 Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM

Oh ok I will try that
post #1482 of 1484 Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Also try white noise, I believe that is better suited to subwoofer calibration, in a Hifi.

Generally I just play by ear, I do think sub integration in a hifi is far more complex. In a HT I just bypass subs own crossover, use AV pre-amp test tones and it's spot on. For a Hifi, because I send L/R speakers full range (they're not) and send full range to sub using subs own crossover there is a lot more fiddling going on.

I guess using something like UMIK-1 and REW should help as you can see where the speakers drop off, and where the sub should be set to, as well as levels, and if you have room nodes.

I may pickup UMIK-1, with two main systems and PC system, and another HT it will come in handy.. also whether sub EQ is needed for two systems.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1483 of 1484 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Not experience on this stuff, I'm just going by what I read lol. Not scientific at all but I use an app on my iPad. I placed the iPad on the listening position. I end up bringing the sub low pass filter to 50hz. I played white noise mono because balance would not play to the sub.

This is some screenshots I took. Not sure, but i think my gold was to bring the low frequencies below 60hz up a little. Looking at the graph look like the sub probably was not needed but I like the more complete sound when listening to electronica or bass driven music.

Room with stereo off, Only speakers and white noise, and speakers with sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	268578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	268586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	268594  

Last edited by Gerardo2068; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page