New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1645 Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
[EDIT] unexplainable automatic double post. Windows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1645 Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post
[...]

Use star trek or Star Wars for a test.

[...]
Also: "Elysium" and "Gravity" among others, feature extended scenes with loud-ish sub 30Hz content. Not just explosions, which makes it easier to tell the more subtle effects the sub add to your system.

The opening titles from "Day after tomorrow" contains a couple of nice sub bass transients with a large dynamic range (the big drum). This will be clearly audible with capable full-range speakers. But with a good sub added, it will shake your windows and make you jump you from your seat.
post #1623 of 1645 Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Will call SVS when they're open tomorrow, but I'm freaking out--and maybe I'll get a response tonight?

So I lost all sound out of my PB-2000. I run an Onkyo 805, and a miniDSP 2x4 unbalanced. Removed the miniDSP for testing--still no sound. However, very briefly I could get "fits" of sound by not rotating, but "jiggling" the gain knob on the sub. Does that makes sense? Tried the whole range from 7 o'clock to 5o'clock.

Same for what appeared to be a fully seated RCA cable to the LFE input. Swapped the cable (was it bad?), still no improvement.

Took a resistance reading of both cables on a multimeter--they're good. Checked the AVR output--it measured 0.9V playing a -3dBFS 60Hz tone directly to the sub with AVR main volume at 0.

I have a dog-**** hand-me-down sub that functions just fine off the same output. I know this really seems like my PB-2000 died/went defective, but the "comes back with jiggling" confuses me. At least it did--the jiggling does nothing now... The sub was purchased 11 months ago.

Does this happen? Is this a thing?

Last edited by HDgaming42; 05-13-2015 at 07:22 PM.
post #1624 of 1645 Old 05-14-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Did you get a reply from SVS? Any updates on your situation? Sounds like something failed or is failing in the amp. It happens. I am sure SVS will take care of you.
post #1625 of 1645 Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Did you get a reply from SVS? Any updates on your situation? Sounds like something failed or is failing in the amp. It happens. I am sure SVS will take care of you.
Yes, spoke with SVS and they are sending me out a new amp section. Will report back on the result...
post #1626 of 1645 Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Heads up i do not have a question.

I ordered my SB-2000 last Thursday on sale for Memorial Weekend from the outlet. The package arrived two days ago. Of course i was so excited and compared to my ported Paradigm PDR10 i turned the gain way up and played some loud music and scenes to finally listen to this sub i had wanted for 6 months. After my initially session i am adjusting to the lack of boom and I keep turning down the gain of this sub. This sub is solid, while my previous sub would have boom, now i have a good LFE sound and i feel it much more. It is definitely cleaner and tighter and while my Paradigm was solid it was an entry level sub that i should have never have settled for because i knew i wanted something more.

My setup is currently in my open concept main floor which is a kitchen and living room. I bet the sound will get better when we carpet the basement where the home theater will go which is not open concept and has sound dampening in the ceiling.
tommaazz likes this.

"this is jim Kiler step away from the window!"
post #1627 of 1645 Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post
Yes, spoke with SVS and they are sending me out a new amp section. Will report back on the result...
So I got the amp section, and after borrowing a suction tile-lifter from work (later learned a nail would have sufficed) I got the defective plate out and the new one in. Only 3 connections to make-quite simple really.

Sub again works like a charm. Great service.
post #1628 of 1645 Old 06-08-2015, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi guys, a quick question...

I received my SB-2000 a couple days ago to replace a Mirage BPS-150. It is connected between my pre amp and a power amp on my centre channel to give a full range centre. The levels all work out fine, volume on about 1 o'clock and LPF set to ~90 - 100. It is set to auto and is plugged into a switched outlet on a Panamax 5400.

The performance is great, but I have noticed that there tends to be a hissing noise coming from the sub after it is on for a while. When it turns on first, it is dead quiet. I was wondering if this hissing (ocean roar, low frequency) noise is normal for this model. It does not seem to change level when altering any of the controls. My Mirage OM-6 L / R speakers, with powered dual 8" subs also have a little of this noise, but at a lower level. I do not remember the noise with the BPS-150 and there is no noise from my Mirage BPS-400 LFE sub. I just wanted to see from you guys if this behavior is normal before getting in touch with SVS.

Thanks for any assistance you owners can supply.......

Cheers,
phannon

post #1629 of 1645 Old 06-08-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Why would you connect a subwoofer on center pre-out between pre and power? Just set your center to small, and let the AV pre do bass management and route it to the dedicated subwoofer RCA jack.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1630 of 1645 Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have full range speakers all around and a dedicated LFE sub.

Originally when I replaced the BPS-150 LFE sub with the BPS-400 sub, I had the extra sub and decided to give it a try. Up to that point, I had the centre set to small (all other positions full range). With the BPS-150 sub "in line" with the centre channel, making it now full range, it sounded much more balanced and I prefer it that way. Having full range speakers all around also works better (for me anyway) for 5.1 music. So, I have the equivalent of 5 subs plus the LFE to distribute the low frequency information throughout the room. Just wondering about the hissing noise from the sub......it is not heard through the "centre speaker", only the sub

phannon
post #1631 of 1645 Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the SB2000.

Do you use a 6 channel PEQ to sort out the subs?

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1632 of 1645 Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 146
My 2nd SB2000 arrived earlier this week - I'm very happy to be a new member of the dual sub club

tommaazz and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #1633 of 1645 Old 07-16-2015, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advice

Hi,

I've been reading some of the info on this thread and I was hoping that some of you guys could chime in with your experience and help me with a decision of which dual sub's to buy for my setup.

My room is a dedicated home theater 17ft long and 14ft wide with 9ft ceilings, so thats around 2140 c ft. Sofa set at the back of the room, screen at the front. I love to keep a very clean setup so I am using Definitive Technology UIW RLS II in wall speakers set behind an acoustically transparent fixed frame projector screen. Hopefully they will play nice with SVS subs.

Now here's my issue.

First of all, I'm in New Zealand so I can't take advantage of the 45 day home trial period you lucky guys in the US get

And I can't decide between dual PB 2000's or dual SB 2000's!

If I opt for the dual PB's due to the size they would have to be placed in the front left and right corners facing the seating position there is no where else they could fit. These things look pretty huge especially when all other speakers are hidden behind the screen!

If I opt for dual SB's in piano black they look a hell of a lot better if placed up front and I could squeezed them in the rear corners behind the sofa which would give the room a much cleaner look.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
post #1634 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have dual pb 2000 in roughly a 3000 square foot room and it meets all my needs and then some. If you're about "looks" I'm not sure which way to tell you to go but for me pbs is where it's at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avkiller View Post
Hi,

I've been reading some of the info on this thread and I was hoping that some of you guys could chime in with your experience and help me with a decision of which dual sub's to buy for my setup.

My room is a dedicated home theater 17ft long and 14ft wide with 9ft ceilings, so thats around 2140 c ft. Sofa set at the back of the room, screen at the front. I love to keep a very clean setup so I am using Definitive Technology UIW RLS II in wall speakers set behind an acoustically transparent fixed frame projector screen. Hopefully they will play nice with SVS subs.

Now here's my issue.

First of all, I'm in New Zealand so I can't take advantage of the 45 day home trial period you lucky guys in the US get

If I opt for the dual PB's due to the size they would have to be placed in the front left and right corners facing the seating position there is no where else they could fit. These things look pretty huge especially when all other speakers are hidden behind the screen!

If I opt for dual SB's in piano black they look a hell of a lot better if placed up front and I could squeezed them in the rear corners behind the sofa which would give the room a much cleaner look.

Thanks
post #1635 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Hi,

Now here's my issue.

Thanks
I would get one of each.

BTW: both subs feature the same Sledge STA-500D plate amp.

post #1636 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Quote:
Hi,

Now here's my issue.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Di Stroia View Post
I would get one of each.
I definitely would not do this, unless he means to demo one of each. If that is the case, you simply have to decide if you want to prioritize aesthetics or performance. It takes four SB2000's to = one PB2000 @ 20 Hz. If however, the loudest you ever listen, or ever will listen on movies is -20 or even -15 and don't run the subs hot, dual SB2000's might give you enough output.
post #1637 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Hi,

Now here's my issue.

Thanks

I run dual SB-2000's in a room much larger than yours (3700cu ft, and open to the rest of the house) and while they wont quite rattle my fillings loose, I think they sound great and hit plenty hard. In a room your size, they would be brutal. Especially since flexibility of placement is a concern of yours, get the SB's. They'll sound awesome.

I understand that there are guys on this board who's goal it is to need a jock strap to watch a movie, but I don't think that's most of us.
Dom Di Stroia likes this.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #1638 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I definitely would not do this, unless he means to demo one of each. If that is the case, you simply have to decide if you want to prioritize aesthetics or performance. It takes four SB2000's to = one PB2000 @ 20 Hz. If however, the loudest you ever listen, or ever will listen on movies is -20 or even -15 and don't run the subs hot, dual SB2000's might give you enough output.
Wow thanks for the info... I was not aware that 4 Sb2000's = 1 PB2000!!!
post #1639 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I run dual SB-2000's in a room much larger than yours (3700cu ft, and open to the rest of the house) and while they wont quite rattle my fillings loose, I think they sound great and hit plenty hard. In a room your size, they would be brutal. Especially since flexibility of placement is a concern of yours, get the SB's. They'll sound awesome.

I understand that there are guys on this board who's goal it is to need a jock strap to watch a movie, but I don't think that's most of us.
This is good to know... Hopefully I won't be disappointed with dual SB's, every time I go online to order them I change my mind lol... I have never listened to either of the subs I am not sure what to expect, I'm just going off the reviews I have read online.
post #1640 of 1645 Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Hi,

Now here's my issue.

Thanks
It's unfortunate you are unable to take advantage of SVS's Bill Of Rights...that would have been the best/ideal way to determine what is right for your taste and room. That being said, I offer you the following comments and considerations. Having never heard either SB or PB, your goal should be to attain the best possible performance in terms of SQ and output. To accomplish this, I would consider the PB for the following reasons: If the SB does not meet your output expectations, there is little recourse. Whereas, if the PB's greater output is overwhelming for your taste and room, you can always dial down. Also, the PB is a bit more future proof should you someday relocate to a larger space. Two other thoughts: The slightly larger PB disappears in a darken theater. The piano finish is beautiful but some consider it distracting if/when projection light reflects from its surfaces.

Disclaimer: I personally own dual PB-2000's in a 4800 cubic foot room and find their performance to be exceptional for my taste. My usage is 80/20 movies to music and I like strong 20hz output as well as the visceral air movement the PB's provide...but I do not consider myself a basshead.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective...good luck with your decision...either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with either SVS product.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-52 II. MICCA: M-8C (Atmos)
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #1641 of 1645 Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Why not look at the PC-2000's? They are lighter so shipping would be less and they sound the same as the PB 2000's with a smaller foot print.

Nashou
post #1642 of 1645 Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

I'm in Oz and went through the same dilemma early last year.

I have a pair of the older SB12NSD in about 3200cu ft. I'd concur with this poster, if you have realistic performance expectations you will probably be pretty happy with the sb2000 if it meets your placement and aesthetic requirements. Mine are not as strong as the SB2000 and my wife complains about the bass when I watch something action/scifi and they are barely hot (+2dB to the main channels) I'd be lying if I said I didn't "what if?" myself occassionally but the bigger subs would be more obtrusive, aesthetically 100% of the time for me to realise the extra performance I want in maybe 5% of my movie watching.

The cylinder subs are a good suggestion to consider if you are worried about output or listen loud often.
post #1643 of 1645 Old 07-24-2015, 03:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface1 View Post
I'm in Oz and went through the same dilemma early last year.

I have a pair of the older SB12NSD in about 3200cu ft. I'd concur with this poster, if you have realistic performance expectations you will probably be pretty happy with the sb2000 if it meets your placement and aesthetic requirements. Mine are not as strong as the SB2000 and my wife complains about the bass when I watch something action/scifi and they are barely hot (+2dB to the main channels) I'd be lying if I said I didn't "what if?" myself occassionally but the bigger subs would be more obtrusive, aesthetically 100% of the time for me to realise the extra performance I want in maybe 5% of my movie watching.

The cylinder subs are a good suggestion to consider if you are worried about output or listen loud often.
Hi, Thanks for the feedback... Still not sure what to do, not keen on the look of the cylinder subs. I am also considering a single SB13-ULTRA instead of two PB2000's or SB2000's. Wonder if anyone have any experience with the 13ultra vs two PB's or SB's?
post #1644 of 1645 Old 07-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
...you simply have to decide if you want to prioritize aesthetics or performance. It takes four SB2000's to = one PB2000 @ 20 Hz.
IMO, bear123 has provided you the best advice. It appears you prefer the aesthetics of the SB but prefer the performance of the PB. Your dilemma results from not yet having prioritized.

Quote:
Still not sure what to do, not keen on the look of the cylinder subs. I am also considering a single SB13-ULTRA instead of two PB2000's or SB2000's.
Should you decide to go with any single sub and continue to seek advice/opinions on these threads, be prepared to ultimately purchase a second sub.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-52 II. MICCA: M-8C (Atmos)
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85

Last edited by gene4ht; 07-24-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
post #1645 of 1645 Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for the feedback... Still not sure what to do, not keen on the look of the cylinder subs. I am also considering a single SB13-ULTRA instead of two PB2000's or SB2000's. Wonder if anyone have any experience with the 13ultra vs two PB's or SB's?
Someone here had two SB2000, changed to a single SBU13 and noticed an improvement.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb2000 , Svs Sb2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page