Dual Klipsch RW-12D Placement Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I asked this in the Klipsch forum and someone mentioned that I might want to post it here to get a more related group of members to help out. So here it is. I had 1 placed on the left side of the listening position. Got 1 more and looked around did some research and sub crawling and found that the single one sound best when it was right in front of me about 8-9 feet away. So I figured 2 of them right in front about 8-9 feet would be insane, in a good way. Built my tv cabinet/base around the subs. It looks really nice, but it doesn't sound as good as I thought it would, or does it and my amateur ears are just not hearing it correctly? I was hoping for chest pounding sound, and although it does sound really clean and there is no rattles, it just doesn't sound as good as I thought.

I looked at some pics and read a few items where it showed the subs right in front of the listening position, kind of like at the movie theaters. I am a complete amateur at this and went with what I read and saw pics of. I received a couple of comments from someone I regard as knowledge in this field, on these forums and his opinion is that my problem is that the subs are enclosed on 3 sides. I am not questioning him but I just don't understand it since these are front firing and the port is in the front. Is is a resonance problem? I know subs are not necessarily directional but when I crawled on the sides of these subs when they were a the other position I didn't really hear much from the sides. I can rebuild the cabinet, its not that hard just need some opinions. Could it be my settings on the receiver or Sub. Here are the settings. Sub volume is -10, Set to Punch, Crossover is off on the sub and set to 80hz on the receiver. The receiver was tuned using YPAO and front speakers are set to small. Picture is of the level settings for the sub and speakers. As you can see from one of the pictures I really dont have any room to place the subs on the sides of the entertainment center. I can place them at the sides of the room and did that yesterday but to be honest I didn't hear much of a difference.



cessna1466u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Member
 
xander1925's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I asked this in the Klipsch forum and someone mentioned that I might want to post it here to get a more related group of members to help out. So here it is. I had 1 placed on the left side of the listening position. Got 1 more and looked around did some research and sub crawling and found that the single one sound best when it was right in front of me about 8-9 feet away. So I figured 2 of them right in front about 8-9 feet would be insane, in a good way. Built my tv cabinet/base around the subs. It looks really nice, but it doesn't sound as good as I thought it would, or does it and my amateur ears are just not hearing it correctly? I was hoping for chest pounding sound, and although it does sound really clean and there is no rattles, it just doesn't sound as good as I thought.

I looked at some pics and read a few items where it showed the subs right in front of the listening position, kind of like at the movie theaters. I am a complete amateur at this and went with what I read and saw pics of. I received a couple of comments from someone I regard as knowledge in this field, on these forums and his opinion is that my problem is that the subs are enclosed on 3 sides. I am not questioning him but I just don't understand it since these are front firing and the port is in the front. Is is a resonance problem? I know subs are not necessarily directional but when I crawled on the sides of these subs when they were a the other position I didn't really hear much from the sides. I can rebuild the cabinet, its not that hard just need some opinions. Could it be my settings on the receiver or Sub. Here are the settings. Sub volume is -10, Set to Punch, Crossover is off on the sub and set to 80hz on the receiver. The receiver was tuned using YPAO and front speakers are set to small. Picture is of the level settings for the sub and speakers. As you can see from one of the pictures I really dont have any room to place the subs on the sides of the entertainment center. I can place them at the sides of the room and did that yesterday but to be honest I didn't hear much of a difference.




Try setting the Sub LVL in receiver to 0, then set your sub to Depth instead of punch.. Xover on the sub is 120hz...

Try some movies with deep bass and try to adjust volume of Sub since you changed the SUB lvl in receiver to 0.

I have dual Klipsch as well and also located in fron like yours.
xander1925 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thank you for the reply, I will try that tomorrow. So you run your subs at 120hz? I have very small fronts and this might help fill in some of the gap between the 80hz and what ever the fronts are at. I would try it tonight but the wife already thinks I am crazy because I don't think its enough bass.
cessna1466u is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 AM
Member
 
xander1925's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Thank you for the reply, I will try that tomorrow. So you run your subs at 120hz? I have very small fronts and this might help fill in some of the gap between the 80hz and what ever the fronts are at. I would try it tonight but the wife already thinks I am crazy because I don't think its enough bass.
Yes i do... Try it... Actually using both is too much for me so i ended up just using one unless i wanted to impress some guest he he he.. but then again, using both is not for SPL alone but to balance the LFE..
xander1925 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 AM
Member
 
xander1925's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By the way here is how i setup mine

xander1925 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caloyzki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I thought as per audyssey faq, when running it audyssey subwwofer needs to be flat lfe to off or 0 and not 120hz or 80hz?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
caloyzki is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

I thought as per audyssey faq, when running it audyssey subwwofer needs to be flat lfe to off or 0 and not 120hz or 80hz?

When he says he runs his rub at 120hz, he means after he runs Audyssey or YPAO. I have a Yamaha receiver which uses YPAO and it says to turn volume to half and set the crossover to its highest or off.
cessna1466u is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

By the way here is how i setup mine



That is a very nice setup. I am jealous but in a good way. Its nice to see someone else running dual RW-12D subs. Those don't look like Klipsch speakers thought. Are they B&K?
cessna1466u is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caloyzki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

When he says he runs his rub at 120hz, he means after he runs Audyssey or YPAO. I have a Yamaha receiver which uses YPAO and it says to turn volume to half and set the crossover to its highest or off.
yes i know that as per the audysey faq. so after he run his aud/ypao he manual sets to 120hz on his sub or on the avr?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
caloyzki is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

yes i know that as per the audysey faq. so after he run his aud/ypao he manual sets to 120hz on his sub or on the avr?

I see, I was assuming that he did the changes after running a calibration program but that is a good question. Hopefully he will respond here and we can figure it out. Great question. Thanks for bringing it up I didn't even think of that.
cessna1466u is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

yes i know that as per the audysey faq. so after he run his aud/ypao he manual sets to 120hz on his sub or on the avr?

I am just jumping in with a guess here. Some Denons have a LPF setting for the LFE. Seems as if 120 is the most recommended setting.
This is in addition to the crossover setting under speaker set up.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Member
 
xander1925's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I see, I was assuming that he did the changes after running a calibration program but that is a good question. Hopefully he will respond here and we can figure it out. Great question. Thanks for bringing it up I didn't even think of that.

I never used YPAO as i never liked the results after. I always ended up tweaking the YPAO results. I do a manual calibration using an SPL meter.

One question, your two sub is connected via Yamaha Sub pre-Out Fron and Back?

If yes, i suggest you connect both sub to fronts only using Y connector in the Amp.

For and additional 3db increase in sub, you can use the Left and Right In's in the sub again by using Y connectors. With this setup you will need 3 Y connectors. One for the Amp to get connection to 2 subs, and the other 2 will be for the two subs so you can connect it to the Left and Righ of each sub...
xander1925 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander1925 View Post

I never used YPAO as i never liked the results after. I always ended up tweaking the YPAO results. I do a manual calibration using an SPL meter.

One question, your two sub is connected via Yamaha Sub pre-Out Fron and Back?

If yes, i suggest you connect both sub to fronts only using Y connector in the Amp.

For and additional 3db increase in sub, you can use the Left and Right In's in the sub again by using Y connectors. With this setup you will need 3 Y connectors. One for the Amp to get connection to 2 subs, and the other 2 will be for the two subs so you can connect it to the Left and Righ of each sub...

Thanks, my receiver only has subwoofer 1 & 2 out it doesn't say anything about it being front or back. They are connected using a subwoofer cable going from either the #1 or #2 and then I have a Y connector connecting that to the subwoofer.
cessna1466u is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Member
 
xander1925's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Thanks, my receiver only has subwoofer 1 & 2 out it doesn't say anything about it being front or back. They are connected using a subwoofer cable going from either the #1 or #2 and then I have a Y connector connecting that to the subwoofer.

So you are connected using just one sub preout with Y connector right? How are they connected to sub? Are you using the Left and Righ ins in the sub using a Y? If not, i suggest you do that. You will have an increase of 3 db in your sub without raising the gain..
xander1925 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 174
No I have each sub connected to one of the outputs then a Y connector right at the subwoofer to both left & right input in the sub.
cessna1466u is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off