Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
My point is a smaller box sub with some hefty wattage can give you some powerful bass

Yes!.. and taking extension into account, a hefty driver also.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just finished speaking with SVS about this. Looks like dual PB2000s are the answer. I love the small size of the SB13 ultra and the looks of it, but would prefer performance over both of those. According the person I spoke with at SVS, the SB13 ultra is a little more controlled than the PB200s, but it is unlikely I'd be able to hear that. And like others have said, there are many benefits of going with the dual PB2000s such as increased output, ability to dig deeper, and smoother bass response in different listening areas. Going this route will also hopefully deter me from wanting to purchase another $1500 subwoofer down the road if I went with single SB13U now.

I also measured my room when I got home from work and found out it is a lot smaller than I previously thought. It is ~950 cu ft and completely closed but the given how the room is shaped, it is essentially split into two areas, so the home theater area is only 8.5' x 8.5'. with an empty area to the left that is 12' x 6'. So I'm pretty sure that dual PB200s is going to be crazy overkill and absolutely demolish the room, so this should be fun!

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #33 of 45 Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Dual PB-2000s will provide monster levels of output in a room that small. But so will dual SB-2000s, and you might actually benefit from room gain to get even better extension than with the PB-2000s.

-- Edit --
Never mind. I just reviewed the thread and noticed that in your OP (and my original reply in post #2), you're looking at a house with a larger HT space. Yes, the PB-2000s sound like a good choice for you, both for now and for later. smile.gif
post #34 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
sw any update on this??? also looking at dual PB-2000 but my room is a tad bigget at 2700sq. feet!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #35 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered the dual PB2000s but since they were just released and I was late buying them, they havent shipped out yet. SVS told me that they should ship out near the end of this week so I'd probably get them early next week. Once I do, I will update this thread. The only issue is that I have nothing to compare them to really. Currently I'm not even running a subwoofer and just using my Paradigm Studio 60s to provide the bass. Prior to owning this system, I ran three Logitech Z5500 computer speakers that were all hooked together, which is far from ideal. So this is a HUGE upgrade for me. I used to run a JL13W7 in my car, so I have a decent idea on what a ton of bass sounds/feels like but that is a completely different environment, so may not be a valid comparison. I'm also not too sure how helpful my experience will be given my room. It is tiny compared to many others, it is poorly constructed so the walls and ceilings rattle just with the Paradigms, and I have no sound treatments in the room. (joys of renting)

I read a thread somewhere but can't find it, of a guy that has a 3000 cu ft room and was asking about dual pb2000s. Someone responded saying that they would work well in the space but may not provide the impact that he would like. Your best bet is calling SVS and asking them. They were extremely helpful with me.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #36 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks SW.... re-measure and im at 2000 sf.....smile.gif

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #37 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Thanks SW.... re-measure and im at 2000 sf.....smile.gif

sqr feet or cu ft? there is a big difference.

WxLxH is what you want to measure. Also any other rooms that are open to the listening space. So the room has to be closed off or can be by shutting a door.

having said that, My theater is 4k cu ft with dual PB1000's now and they sound great! But i knew I always wanted more so dual PB 2000 were ordered. So I know from what my 1000's can do these will be a
much better improvement.

Athanasios
post #38 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. 16x16x8.... open to dining room and a hallway. i sent a diogram to SVS and was told either dual PB-2000s or 1 PB12-Plus ....

thoughts??

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #39 of 45 Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks. 16x16x8.... open to dining room and a hallway. i sent a diogram to SVS and was told either dual PB-2000s or 1 PB12-Plus ....

thoughts??

That room is 2000 cu ft alone then you have to add the hall and dinning room to that.

Duals is the way to go.

Athanasios
post #40 of 45 Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

decision gets tough on placement.... I can fit one PB-12 plus or even an ULTRA behind chair next too back couch with no problem or obviously a PB-2000... my other two location are behind the chair corner(knee wall) or next to front speaker(PSB T-45)... those spots may not be as Ideal and PB-2000 only.

can you mix Cylinder and Ported. I maybe able to do a PB-2000 or PB-12 plus with a Cylinder corner behind chair at knee wall.??.... (preferably a PB-2000)..$$smile.gif

thanks for your thoughts.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #41 of 45 Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok..... scratch that.... if I dump my two end tables on both sides of the couch which are 28" sq. and pick up 20" sq i can fit (2) PB-2000's on both sides of couch . see above sketch.....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #42 of 45 Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:

sw any update on this??? also looking at dual PB-2000 but my room is a tad bigget at 2700sq. feet!

I know everyone's room is different.  I have 2600 cu. ft and my pb12-nsd fills the room wonderfully.  I even have two french door openings to adjoining rooms and two other open doorways.  I must be getting good room gain due to placement and a lot of tactile feel from my older 1928 home.  On "Bass I love You", I get tremendous couch shaking bass that is too low to be heard.  And on War of the Worlds, it shook my house so much that my wife shut off her shower on the second floor to ask what was wrong and why was the house shaking.

I suppose it depends on what you are willing to spend to get what you want.  If budget is tight, audition the PB2000 and if it does not meet your needs, upgrade to the 12 plus.

Looking at your sketches, remember that placement can make a dramatic difference in room, so use the subwoofer crawl to find optimal placement since you have several options.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #43 of 45 Old 01-22-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

frown.gif I didn't realize that my receiver (Integra DTR 30.4) was lacking in it's Audessey features. It only has the Audyssey 2eq which is very limited and doesnt support subwoofer equalization. There is no way I'm going to upgrade my receiver right now given that it is only a year old and I dont want to spend another $1500+. Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent response by just subwoofer location, phase settings, and what the 2eq provides. I did buy a Dayton UMM-E6 microphone with the calibration by Cross-Spectrum Acoustics today and already have REW downloaded, so I can mess around with it a bit.

post #44 of 45 Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got the subs in and hooked up. First thing though, I couldn't resist the urge and I went out after work on Thursday and picked up a Denon AVR-X4000. I did some ABing with the Denon and Integra receiver, both with and without the new subwoofers. I gotta say, this Denon receiver with the Audyssey Multi xt32 vs the 2eq in the Integra is quite an improvement. The sound just seems more detailed and the image seems better as well. With the subs, it wasn't as pronounced as I thought it'd be between the two given that the Integra doesn't eq the subs, but the Denon was still better in this area as it seemed less 'boomy' than the Integra. I also did a few quick test to see how one sub sounded versus two. It is quite a big difference. Two subs seems to completely fill the room with bass while the single sub didn't, so thanks for pushing me to go with the dual subs! It also looks pretty awesome having two giant subs.

Now as for the subs. Like I said in my previous posts, this is my first real subwoofer so was really looking forward to them. It is very interesting how these sound to me compared to subs I've heard in the past. Previous subs I've heard, the bass really stood out, but with the SVS subs, it just seems to be there. Not really too sure how else to describe it. I can feel it digging deep, but nothing is overwhelming at all. In this regard, I'm sort of disappointed as I thought it was just going to absolutely blow me away with some movie scenes and songs. This could very well be due to placement, settings, or a number of other things. I purchased a calibrated Dayton umm-6 microphone that should come next week, so I'll mess with the subs some more then. I also did some testing with turning off the subwoofers on the receiver which made the Paradigm Studio 60s full range and there was very little change. The level of bass was pretty much the same. The only differences I really heard with the subs on was that I could tell the subs were hitting lower mostly by feel and when the subs were off, the Paradigms seemed to lose something, probably because the woofers were too busy handling the sub-80hz frequencies. The fact that it sounded so similar though, probably means two things. 1. The Paradigms are very good full range speakers, and 2. The svs subs blend extremely well with them.

I've only watched one movie so far and mainly kept it at about -15dB. It was the new Hunger Games movie. Overall I didn't really notice the sub, but there was one scene Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
where the dome collapses
that it really stood out. I still feel like it is lacking the punch and earth shaking that two subs in this small of a room should be providing though. I also wish that it was easier to turn up the subs if I want to. On the receiver I have to adjust two separate volumes and then remember where each one was set and I dont want to mess with the gains on the subs, since then I'd have to level match them again.

This is the eq audyssey applied to my two front speakers: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #45 of 45 Old 01-25-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 661

Sounds to me like the subwoofer crawl is in order.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page