Reaction Audio Subs - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thank you Jeremy.
edgebsl likes this.
mark62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Yung SD-200-6 has 6dB bass boost at 35Hz... likely achieved (as with other boost amps) using a peaking high pass filter...

Which kills low end extension... The roll off would be too steep for room gain to compensate. So I'm not sure about 16-18Hz usable extension.
alphaiii is offline  
post #93 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The Yung SD-200-6 has 6dB bass boost at 35Hz... likely achieved (as with other boost amps) using a peaking high pass filter...

Which kills low end extension... The roll off would be too steep for room gain to compensate. So I'm not sure about 16-18Hz usable extension.

The peak is fairly wide and output between 20-30 hz is quite strong.
When running a 10-19 HZ sweep we get solid cone movement around 14hz and gets much stronger near the end of the sweep.
In smaller rooms we are definitely getting usable extension.

I have read comments from folks jumping to conclusion about how steep the Yung's subsonic filters are or are not.
I have found it very comparable to most of the other Class D offerings available before modification.
The question was in regards to maximum output. We never claimed a completely flat in room response down to 16hz even with room gain..
Nor do we want to make inflated claims.
That would be a stretch for a sealed subwoofer with a moderate sized Class D plate amp.
Our design is for an excellent response from 24hz and up which is more than competitive for an under $500 subwoofer.

We have intended to be modest and realistic with our specs and descriptions.
mark62 and usery like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #94 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
How much room from driver to wall / furniture is needed? With the opposing driver design, one driver would fire into a wall, and the other into my entertainment unit.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
post #95 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

How much room from driver to wall / furniture is needed? With the opposing driver design, one driver would fire into a wall, and the other into my entertainment unit.

You would only need a few inches of clearance.
D Bone likes this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #96 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

You would only need a few inches of clearance.

Sweet, cause that's all I've got cool.gif

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
post #97 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I really hope you do well and succeed in your endeavors Jeremy.
mark62 is offline  
post #98 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

I really hope you do well and succeed in your endeavors Jeremy.

Much appreciated!

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #99 of 1039 Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Draven451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Jeremy,

Any plans in the near future to offer ported models?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Draven451 is offline  
post #100 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

Jeremy,

Any plans in the near future to offer ported models?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Probably not until summer.

What we have been experimenting with is a "top Secret" model that someone previously commented on. It is a "Turbo" version of the BPS-212.

The manufacturer of our 15" had us try their 10" and 12" models of the same line and we were very impressed.
So I may speed up the time frame of the turbo version's availability to immediately, due to popular demand for a slightly higher powered version.
It will be the same enclosure but with 300w RMS power and a dual magnet, dual voice-coil woofer with slightly better performance.
It will sell for about $100- $120 more and offer about 2-2.5 db more output and shines even more in the lower octave.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #101 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caloyzki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am also looking for future ported subs for HT pursposes.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
caloyzki is offline  
post #102 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

I am also looking for future ported subs for HT pursposes.

We should have something done by May.

As I said earlier, we feel it has to offer something that the other two models can't cover.

We are leaning towards something that equals the 20hz output of the BPS 215 while not as much headroom in the midbass for much less coin.
And to have a response curved well suited for rooms that don't get any benefit from room gain.

Just bear with us. We have our cabinet guys working as fast as they can just to keep up.
We don't want to try and juggle more products this early on and result in extended back order times.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #103 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm kinda excited to see this "turbo" BPS212. I never had a sealed sub but I do dig the Dual Opposed Sealed design. I would love to see -3db of about 16 to 18hz with usable in room to 12 to 14 hz.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #104 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I'm kinda excited to see this "turbo" BPS212. I never had a sealed sub but I do dig the Dual Opposed Sealed design. I would love to see -3db of about 16 to 18hz with usable in room to 12 to 14 hz.

I am going to be honest with you and tell you that -3db at 16-18 hz is more realistically achieved with a ported sub with a tuning frequency around 20 hz.

Even with room gain it could still be difficult for most sealed subs except ones that employ a lot of eq or are in a very large box.
If we opened up the filters and added more eq then excursion becomes a factor and after that, the power needed to accomplish the boosting becomes a factor.
It can be done, but it is more difficult and expensive. I would say some of the units from JTR, Seaton and the Powersound Audio Triax that use the massive "Speakerpower" amps are better suited for that task. There are others.
I would rather send you to a competitor than have you think one of our products does something that it does not.

A well designed ported sub has a subsonic filter that protects the driver from "unloading" and having extreme excursions as signals go below the tuning frequency.

However, it's usually not a "brick wall". Just a hair under the tuning frequency the port is still giving some benefit, so that is why you will see subs vented at 20hz still delivering good CEA output below that but eventually reaches a point where distortion limits it from going any further into anything use-able.
Gmash likes this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #105 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Oh sorry I'm just dreaming. I realize that for the price range you are lookin at that its not really possible with a sealed sub. I have ported subs now that are -2db @ 18hz, and they are great but with them being ported I really don't pick up room gain. As I said before I really do think your at a good price range cuz for the average working person like me even $500 per sub is a lot of money so products like the Triax and JTR's and Seaton's aren't even on my radar.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #106 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 136
More pictures would be nice. Especially of the 15" bruiser.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is offline  
post #107 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post

More pictures would be nice. Especially of the 15" bruiser.

In a little over a week we should have a new barrage of pics for you.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #108 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

Thanks!

The enclosures are made right here in Mississippi by my friend Jim and his company who do exceptional work. Their kitchen cabinets and furniture are jaw dropping and building these speaker cabinets must feel like a chess champion playing checkers.

The Class D amps are manufactured by Yung of Taiwan.

The 12 inch drivers from the BPS 212 were made in Mexico.
The 15 inch driver in the BPS 215 is made of parts sourced from china (Stamped basket, cone, magnets and full cone poly dust cap etc)
and is finish assembled here in the southeast.

I want to incorporate more made in the USA parts in the future but this is where we are at with availability and price points.

I think it is cool that you are having the cabinets built locally. I think many times when speakers and subs are back ordered for long periods it is because they are waiting for cabinets to come in from China. Also, having a talented cabinet builder like that on board opens things up to the possibility of some sweet premium custom finishes later on when you get better established!
Gmash is offline  
post #109 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

In a little over a week we should have a new barrage of pics for you.

Looking forward to it.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is offline  
post #110 of 1039 Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Draven451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Jeremy,

Thanks for the info on the Turbo sub and also letting us know about ported models in the near future!

Sounds like you will be very busy. I'm excited to hear about all the new developments.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Draven451 is offline  
post #111 of 1039 Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Newbie
 
bighernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looking forward to some more pics as well. I currently have a bic f12 that has served me well the last couple years but im at a point now where im either going to add a second f12, or upgrade to a bigger/better sub and these have more than piqued my interest.

but now with talks of a turbo model, im even more confused about what i should do. should i sell the f12, and buy one of the 212, or a pair of the 212s? the price of a pair is very tempting... would i notice much improvement with only one of the 212 over the f12? should i wait for the "turbo", will you have a deal for a pair of the turbo models?

i know, lots of questions, too many. this is just what is going through my mind at the moment.

im running EMP tek 55's up front with the 56c center and some polk bipoles as my surrounds.

anyway, it seems like you have a great company and i wish you all the success.
bighernan is offline  
post #112 of 1039 Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post

looking forward to some more pics as well. I currently have a bic f12 that has served me well the last couple years but im at a point now where im either going to add a second f12, or upgrade to a bigger/better sub and these have more than piqued my interest.

but now with talks of a turbo model, im even more confused about what i should do. should i sell the f12, and buy one of the 212, or a pair of the 212s? the price of a pair is very tempting... would i notice much improvement with only one of the 212 over the f12? should i wait for the "turbo", will you have a deal for a pair of the turbo models?

i know, lots of questions, too many. this is just what is going through my mind at the moment.

im running EMP tek 55's up front with the 56c center and some polk bipoles as my surrounds.

anyway, it seems like you have a great company and i wish you all the success.

Thanks for the kind words!

I would say that one of the "turbo" models would have a very significant average output advantage over what you are using now and a pair placed closely together would add up to 6db over what a single will do.
The Turbo will sell for around 500 but will be well worth it. We will be discounting for all of our models in pairs, but unfortunately the intro pricing on the standard BPS will not be around much longer.
But it won't increase significantly.

We don't have this on the website yet, but if someone orders one, then decides in the same month that they really want a pair, we will ship them the second sub honoring the price for a pair.
If you are gong with dual subs, I would not mix ported and sealed.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #113 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I see the Turbo models are listed on the site now. These have better drivers as well as the more powerful amp, correct? What are the real world advantages over the regular version for the extra $100? Is it just more output, because I don't need super loud. Or will the sound quality improve also?
Gmash is offline  
post #114 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I'm curious about the +/-3.5dB variance. I realize that .5 dB isn't a big deal - I just wonder why you chose to go with that rather than with the more "standard" +/-3dB (or better).

Thanks.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #115 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 100

So is the niche here, "sealed subs that have just as much low end extension as ported subs?" Or an ID that just caters to sealed subs? Or both?

ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #116 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

but with them being ported I really don't pick up room gain.

Room gain isn't effected by the kind of sub you have.
KidHorn is offline  
post #117 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

However, it's usually not a "brick wall". Just a hair under the tuning frequency the port is still giving some benefit, so that is why you will see subs vented at 20hz still delivering good CEA output below that but eventually reaches a point where distortion limits it from going any further into anything use-able.
True, but that point tends to be around 15Hz, below which the result is moot for 99.9% of users. Those who do want to go lower can, but to do so takes a lot of drivers and a lot of watts to push them with.
Quote:
So is the niche here, "sealed subs that have just as much low end extension as ported subs?"
That's a vast over simplification. This compares a very good sealed sub (blue trace) with an equally good ported sub (green trace), both loaded with eighteens in an 8 cu ft cab. The upper chart is relative sensitivity, the lower is maximum output:


The ported has the edge in output all the way to 15Hz. Below that the sealed takes over, but if you're going to get significant output below 15Hz out of the sealed you're going to need lots of them, and lots of watts to push them, unless the room size is small enough to provide significant cabin gain starting no lower than 35Hz. That means a tight room with no dimension longer than 16 feet.
If you do have a small room then you don't need the lower response of ported, and may even be better off without it, as it could be boomy if you don't have the ability to EQ. So the choice between sealed and ported is two-fold. If you have a small room sealed is good. If you don't ported is better, unless you're after single digit response, but if you are you'll need a lot of cabs to get it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #118 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post



The ported has the edge in output all the way to 15Hz. Below that the sealed takes over, but if you're going to get significant output below 15Hz out of the sealed you're going to need lots of them, and lots of watts to push them, unless the room size is small enough to provide significant cabin gain starting no lower than 35Hz. That means a tight room with no dimension longer than 16 feet.
If you do have a small room then you don't need the lower response of ported, and may even be better off without it, as it could be boomy if you don't have the ability to EQ. So the choice between sealed and ported is two-fold. If you have a small room sealed is good. If you don't ported is better, unless you're after single digit response, but if you are you'll need a lot of cabs to get it.

 

So what about two sealed subs in a larger room, say 18-20' walls? 

ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #119 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

So what about two sealed subs in a larger room, say 18-20' walls? 
That won't change the frequency where cabin gain begins, which in feet is 565 divided by the longest room dimension. In a tight room you can get as much as 12dB per octave cabin gain as you go lower in frequency. Do the math and you'll see why car subs can be loaded into very small sealed boxes.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #120 of 1039 Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post


That won't change the frequency where cabin gain begins, which in feet is 565 divided by the longest room dimension. In a tight room you can get as much as 12dB per octave cabin gain as you go lower in frequency. Do the math and you'll see why car subs can be loaded into very small sealed boxes.

Let me make sure I understand...

 

so if 565/18= 31hz

 

What does this tell me exactly? What happens at 31hz? 

ClawAndTalon is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off