Reaction Audio Subs - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Reaction Audio Subs
mark62's Avatar mark62 12:15 PM 02-03-2014
Thank you Jeremy.

alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 12:35 PM 02-03-2014
The Yung SD-200-6 has 6dB bass boost at 35Hz... likely achieved (as with other boost amps) using a peaking high pass filter...

Which kills low end extension... The roll off would be too steep for room gain to compensate. So I'm not sure about 16-18Hz usable extension.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 01:07 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The Yung SD-200-6 has 6dB bass boost at 35Hz... likely achieved (as with other boost amps) using a peaking high pass filter...

Which kills low end extension... The roll off would be too steep for room gain to compensate. So I'm not sure about 16-18Hz usable extension.

The peak is fairly wide and output between 20-30 hz is quite strong.
When running a 10-19 HZ sweep we get solid cone movement around 14hz and gets much stronger near the end of the sweep.
In smaller rooms we are definitely getting usable extension.

I have read comments from folks jumping to conclusion about how steep the Yung's subsonic filters are or are not.
I have found it very comparable to most of the other Class D offerings available before modification.
The question was in regards to maximum output. We never claimed a completely flat in room response down to 16hz even with room gain..
Nor do we want to make inflated claims.
That would be a stretch for a sealed subwoofer with a moderate sized Class D plate amp.
Our design is for an excellent response from 24hz and up which is more than competitive for an under $500 subwoofer.

We have intended to be modest and realistic with our specs and descriptions.
D Bone's Avatar D Bone 01:37 PM 02-03-2014
How much room from driver to wall / furniture is needed? With the opposing driver design, one driver would fire into a wall, and the other into my entertainment unit.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 01:59 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

How much room from driver to wall / furniture is needed? With the opposing driver design, one driver would fire into a wall, and the other into my entertainment unit.

You would only need a few inches of clearance.
D Bone's Avatar D Bone 02:07 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

You would only need a few inches of clearance.

Sweet, cause that's all I've got cool.gif
mark62's Avatar mark62 02:28 PM 02-03-2014
I really hope you do well and succeed in your endeavors Jeremy.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 02:48 PM 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

I really hope you do well and succeed in your endeavors Jeremy.

Much appreciated!
Draven451's Avatar Draven451 07:07 PM 02-03-2014
Jeremy,

Any plans in the near future to offer ported models?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 08:58 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

Jeremy,

Any plans in the near future to offer ported models?

Probably not until summer.

What we have been experimenting with is a "top Secret" model that someone previously commented on. It is a "Turbo" version of the BPS-212.

The manufacturer of our 15" had us try their 10" and 12" models of the same line and we were very impressed.
So I may speed up the time frame of the turbo version's availability to immediately, due to popular demand for a slightly higher powered version.
It will be the same enclosure but with 300w RMS power and a dual magnet, dual voice-coil woofer with slightly better performance.
It will sell for about $100- $120 more and offer about 2-2.5 db more output and shines even more in the lower octave.
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki 09:40 AM 02-04-2014
I am also looking for future ported subs for HT pursposes.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 09:54 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

I am also looking for future ported subs for HT pursposes.

We should have something done by May.

As I said earlier, we feel it has to offer something that the other two models can't cover.

We are leaning towards something that equals the 20hz output of the BPS 215 while not as much headroom in the midbass for much less coin.
And to have a response curved well suited for rooms that don't get any benefit from room gain.

Just bear with us. We have our cabinet guys working as fast as they can just to keep up.
We don't want to try and juggle more products this early on and result in extended back order times.
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 09:55 AM 02-04-2014
I'm kinda excited to see this "turbo" BPS212. I never had a sealed sub but I do dig the Dual Opposed Sealed design. I would love to see -3db of about 16 to 18hz with usable in room to 12 to 14 hz.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 10:12 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I'm kinda excited to see this "turbo" BPS212. I never had a sealed sub but I do dig the Dual Opposed Sealed design. I would love to see -3db of about 16 to 18hz with usable in room to 12 to 14 hz.

I am going to be honest with you and tell you that -3db at 16-18 hz is more realistically achieved with a ported sub with a tuning frequency around 20 hz.

Even with room gain it could still be difficult for most sealed subs except ones that employ a lot of eq or are in a very large box.
If we opened up the filters and added more eq then excursion becomes a factor and after that, the power needed to accomplish the boosting becomes a factor.
It can be done, but it is more difficult and expensive. I would say some of the units from JTR, Seaton and the Powersound Audio Triax that use the massive "Speakerpower" amps are better suited for that task. There are others.
I would rather send you to a competitor than have you think one of our products does something that it does not.

A well designed ported sub has a subsonic filter that protects the driver from "unloading" and having extreme excursions as signals go below the tuning frequency.

However, it's usually not a "brick wall". Just a hair under the tuning frequency the port is still giving some benefit, so that is why you will see subs vented at 20hz still delivering good CEA output below that but eventually reaches a point where distortion limits it from going any further into anything use-able.
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 10:24 AM 02-04-2014
Oh sorry I'm just dreaming. I realize that for the price range you are lookin at that its not really possible with a sealed sub. I have ported subs now that are -2db @ 18hz, and they are great but with them being ported I really don't pick up room gain. As I said before I really do think your at a good price range cuz for the average working person like me even $500 per sub is a lot of money so products like the Triax and JTR's and Seaton's aren't even on my radar.
JT78681's Avatar JT78681 02:18 PM 02-04-2014
More pictures would be nice. Especially of the 15" bruiser.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 04:22 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post

More pictures would be nice. Especially of the 15" bruiser.

In a little over a week we should have a new barrage of pics for you.
Gmash's Avatar Gmash 04:54 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

Thanks!

The enclosures are made right here in Mississippi by my friend Jim and his company who do exceptional work. Their kitchen cabinets and furniture are jaw dropping and building these speaker cabinets must feel like a chess champion playing checkers.

The Class D amps are manufactured by Yung of Taiwan.

The 12 inch drivers from the BPS 212 were made in Mexico.
The 15 inch driver in the BPS 215 is made of parts sourced from china (Stamped basket, cone, magnets and full cone poly dust cap etc)
and is finish assembled here in the southeast.

I want to incorporate more made in the USA parts in the future but this is where we are at with availability and price points.

I think it is cool that you are having the cabinets built locally. I think many times when speakers and subs are back ordered for long periods it is because they are waiting for cabinets to come in from China. Also, having a talented cabinet builder like that on board opens things up to the possibility of some sweet premium custom finishes later on when you get better established!
JT78681's Avatar JT78681 05:55 PM 02-04-2014
Quote:

In a little over a week we should have a new barrage of pics for you.

Looking forward to it.
Draven451's Avatar Draven451 06:17 PM 02-04-2014
Jeremy,

Thanks for the info on the Turbo sub and also letting us know about ported models in the near future!

Sounds like you will be very busy. I'm excited to hear about all the new developments.

bighernan's Avatar bighernan 09:30 AM 02-05-2014
looking forward to some more pics as well. I currently have a bic f12 that has served me well the last couple years but im at a point now where im either going to add a second f12, or upgrade to a bigger/better sub and these have more than piqued my interest.

but now with talks of a turbo model, im even more confused about what i should do. should i sell the f12, and buy one of the 212, or a pair of the 212s? the price of a pair is very tempting... would i notice much improvement with only one of the 212 over the f12? should i wait for the "turbo", will you have a deal for a pair of the turbo models?

i know, lots of questions, too many. this is just what is going through my mind at the moment.

im running EMP tek 55's up front with the 56c center and some polk bipoles as my surrounds.

anyway, it seems like you have a great company and i wish you all the success.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 10:51 AM 02-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post

looking forward to some more pics as well. I currently have a bic f12 that has served me well the last couple years but im at a point now where im either going to add a second f12, or upgrade to a bigger/better sub and these have more than piqued my interest.

but now with talks of a turbo model, im even more confused about what i should do. should i sell the f12, and buy one of the 212, or a pair of the 212s? the price of a pair is very tempting... would i notice much improvement with only one of the 212 over the f12? should i wait for the "turbo", will you have a deal for a pair of the turbo models?

i know, lots of questions, too many. this is just what is going through my mind at the moment.

im running EMP tek 55's up front with the 56c center and some polk bipoles as my surrounds.

anyway, it seems like you have a great company and i wish you all the success.

Thanks for the kind words!

I would say that one of the "turbo" models would have a very significant average output advantage over what you are using now and a pair placed closely together would add up to 6db over what a single will do.
The Turbo will sell for around 500 but will be well worth it. We will be discounting for all of our models in pairs, but unfortunately the intro pricing on the standard BPS will not be around much longer.
But it won't increase significantly.

We don't have this on the website yet, but if someone orders one, then decides in the same month that they really want a pair, we will ship them the second sub honoring the price for a pair.
If you are gong with dual subs, I would not mix ported and sealed.
Gmash's Avatar Gmash 02:22 AM 02-07-2014
I see the Turbo models are listed on the site now. These have better drivers as well as the more powerful amp, correct? What are the real world advantages over the regular version for the extra $100? Is it just more output, because I don't need super loud. Or will the sound quality improve also?
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 06:06 AM 02-07-2014
I'm curious about the +/-3.5dB variance. I realize that .5 dB isn't a big deal - I just wonder why you chose to go with that rather than with the more "standard" +/-3dB (or better).

Thanks.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 06:13 AM 02-07-2014

So is the niche here, "sealed subs that have just as much low end extension as ported subs?" Or an ID that just caters to sealed subs? Or both?

KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 08:16 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

but with them being ported I really don't pick up room gain.

Room gain isn't effected by the kind of sub you have.
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 10:17 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:

However, it's usually not a "brick wall". Just a hair under the tuning frequency the port is still giving some benefit, so that is why you will see subs vented at 20hz still delivering good CEA output below that but eventually reaches a point where distortion limits it from going any further into anything use-able.
True, but that point tends to be around 15Hz, below which the result is moot for 99.9% of users. Those who do want to go lower can, but to do so takes a lot of drivers and a lot of watts to push them with.
Quote:
So is the niche here, "sealed subs that have just as much low end extension as ported subs?"
That's a vast over simplification. This compares a very good sealed sub (blue trace) with an equally good ported sub (green trace), both loaded with eighteens in an 8 cu ft cab. The upper chart is relative sensitivity, the lower is maximum output:

The ported has the edge in output all the way to 15Hz. Below that the sealed takes over, but if you're going to get significant output below 15Hz out of the sealed you're going to need lots of them, and lots of watts to push them, unless the room size is small enough to provide significant cabin gain starting no lower than 35Hz. That means a tight room with no dimension longer than 16 feet.
If you do have a small room then you don't need the lower response of ported, and may even be better off without it, as it could be boomy if you don't have the ability to EQ. So the choice between sealed and ported is two-fold. If you have a small room sealed is good. If you don't ported is better, unless you're after single digit response, but if you are you'll need a lot of cabs to get it.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 10:37 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The ported has the edge in output all the way to 15Hz. Below that the sealed takes over, but if you're going to get significant output below 15Hz out of the sealed you're going to need lots of them, and lots of watts to push them, unless the room size is small enough to provide significant cabin gain starting no lower than 35Hz. That means a tight room with no dimension longer than 16 feet.
If you do have a small room then you don't need the lower response of ported, and may even be better off without it, as it could be boomy if you don't have the ability to EQ. So the choice between sealed and ported is two-fold. If you have a small room sealed is good. If you don't ported is better, unless you're after single digit response, but if you are you'll need a lot of cabs to get it.

So what about two sealed subs in a larger room, say 18-20' walls? 

Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 10:53 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

So what about two sealed subs in a larger room, say 18-20' walls? 
That won't change the frequency where cabin gain begins, which in feet is 565 divided by the longest room dimension. In a tight room you can get as much as 12dB per octave cabin gain as you go lower in frequency. Do the math and you'll see why car subs can be loaded into very small sealed boxes.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 11:03 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That won't change the frequency where cabin gain begins, which in feet is 565 divided by the longest room dimension. In a tight room you can get as much as 12dB per octave cabin gain as you go lower in frequency. Do the math and you'll see why car subs can be loaded into very small sealed boxes.

Let me make sure I understand...

so if 565/18= 31hz

What does this tell me exactly? What happens at 31hz? 

First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop