post #2011 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
Room is 20x24x7 with large openings to a hallway and relatively small kitchen (our basement/my mancave is zoned as a 2 bedroom apt)

I guess I'll know better when the PS18x arrives within the next week
Do you have any surrounds right now? I will say that for me, stepping up to the CX-8 surrounds was a MUCH more significant difference than going to dual subs. I never really thought the surround channels mattered much until I got them, and now I see the value.

Dual subs are great, but 80hz and below is really a pretty small percentage of overall audio content - particularly if you watch a lot of tv or play video games. Plus you'll already have a monster playing that range anyway.

Unless you already have quality surrounds I would say you'll notice the larges difference there, so it should be the first upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Thanks to JBrown (and of course Jeremy) I am getting some custom dual opposed subs. Jeremy calls them the PS-218X's. I call them the "go big or go home custom beasts".
Would love to see pics of these...
post #2013 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 12:35 PM

So what is the difference between the PS18X and the Echo/Gamma 18s? I am sure its obvious but I am not seeing it.
post #2014 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat View Post
So what is the difference between the PS18X and the Echo/Gamma 18s? I am sure its obvious but I am not seeing it.

The PS18x has a beefier driver that can take the full brute force of the SP1-4000 Speaker power amp. So basically it's a more powerful amp and stronger driver.
Well and of course both the PS18x and Gamma 18 subs are sealed while the Echo series are ported.
post #2015 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
The PS18x has a beefier driver that can take the full brute force of the SP1-4000 Speaker power amp. So basically it's a more powerful amp and stronger driver.
Well and of course both the PS18x and Gamma 18 subs are sealed while the Echo series are ported.
Thanks

So this begs the question, dual Gamma 218 vs dual PS18X?

@ Jeremy...One thing that I would nitpick about, is when viewing your cart, the line item total shows the order total. I would much rather see the line item total and only the cart total at the bottom. That way I can compare pricing of duals without having to use math...since I am lazy.
post #2016 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

@ Jeremy...One thing that I would nitpick about, is when viewing your cart, the line item total shows the order total. I would much rather see the line item total and only the cart total at the bottom. That way I can compare pricing of duals without having to use math...since I am lazy.
Two Gamma 218's would have more output then two PS18x subs. Two PS18x's would have more output then two Gamma 18 subs though.

LOL.... you are lazy if that's really an issue though
post #2017 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Thanks

I have an email in to the web designer of the template.

For some reasons "Variants' are not being displayed correctly. They are working on a fix.
Right now if you select duals, it will be reflected in your cart but the price does not display changes in real time. That is what we are looking to fix.

We are offering $100 discount on all dual orders except for the Gamma 218 and Echo 18 in which the discount is $150.

The 218 is more potent than the PS-18x. We do feel the ECHO 18 and Gamma 218 represent the best value in our lineup if you are looking at output and response vs price. It is hard to argue with what the displacement, box size and amplifier dsp will accomplish.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #2018 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have dual PS-18x and they are awesome. If I were a new shopper today it would be a tough choice between the PS18x and Gamma 18s. I guess the question is would you notice a difference when listening? And then if so is it worth the extra money. Doesn't matter for me at this point... but I can see this being a tough decision for others. I think I'd still go with the PS18x because of the reasons Joe mentioned... but I'm biased at this point :-).

My LCR CX10's are coming on Tuesday and cannot wait to set them up with the PS18s. Every time I have a free hour here or there to turn up the volume I listen to the system instead of fooling around with REW... cannot help it.

One thing I've noticed is in my MLP which is back up against the wall, 12' from the TV/subs, the bass is super strong and sounds great. When I walk closer to the unit I hear less bass. Still plenty of it, but less than in the back of the room. Is this typical in home non-theater room setups? I'm sure someone is going to tell me to run REW so I can see what's going on lol.

Brian
post #2019 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 222
^^ Against the back wall is usually a bad spot for bass. It can be overwhelming.
post #2020 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by briang2408 View Post
I have dual PS-18x and they are awesome. If I were a new shopper today it would be a tough choice between the PS18x and Gamma 18s. I guess the question is would you notice a difference when listening? And then if so is it worth the extra money. Doesn't matter for me at this point... but I can see this being a tough decision for others. I think I'd still go with the PS18x because of the reasons Joe mentioned... but I'm biased at this point :-).

My LCR CX10's are coming on Tuesday and cannot wait to set them up with the PS18s. Every time I have a free hour here or there to turn up the volume I listen to the system instead of fooling around with REW... cannot help it.

One thing I've noticed is in my MLP which is back up against the wall, 12' from the TV/subs, the bass is super strong and sounds great. When I walk closer to the unit I hear less bass. Still plenty of it, but less than in the back of the room. Is this typical in home non-theater room setups? I'm sure someone is going to tell me to run REW so I can see what's going on lol.

Brian
I'm far from an expert, but I think you have two possibilities.

You may have a peak near or at MLP, and if you like bass heavy sound, you may find it ok. Or you may have a null somewhere near the back wall... But usually dual subs, if well located, tend to prevent nulls. I think that a peak is more likely, but who knows... Maybe a more seasoned user will chime in.

And I'll gladly be the first user to say : run REW, and you will have a good picture of your situation =) Or maybe... The old crawl test?

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 subwoofers
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #2021 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Been away from AVS for a little while and come back to see all this exciting stuff from RA. My PS18x has been treating me extremely well and it's sounding better the more I use it.

I re-call someone expressed concerns on another thread about my initial setup issues since I was the first to receive a PS18x. So...wanted to reiterate again that it was never an issue with the PS18x itself. Ultimately, it came down to two things, my receiver (Anthem Arc) but more importantly placement. I have it in a WAF spot which is less then ideal but for me, the sub still outputs tremendous amount of detailed and tight bass in my MLP. It goes lower and hits harder than my old PV15x did at lower listening levels so that's all that matters to me

I'm still glad I purchased the PS18x, even after seeing all the new offers since it's foot print works perfectly for my space.

Now, how do I convince the wife and get my hands on 3 new CX-12T's
Frank D and Aarghon like this.
post #2022 of 2029 Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Tough to decide which to order, is there any subs available to ship soon? I know many are already spoken for. My subs will be gone Tuesday and I'll be looking for something to replace them soon as possible.
post #2023 of 2029 Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Would love to see pics of these...
They should basically look like a Gamma 218. The only difference will be a different amp cutout for the 4000 watt amp and different drivers. I'm not even sure the drivers would look that different unless you could see the motors/magnets.
post #2024 of 2029 Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Tough to decide which to order, is there any subs available to ship soon? I know many are already spoken for. My subs will be gone Tuesday and I'll be looking for something to replace them soon as possible.
You'd have to ask Jeremy. He will walk you through what is best for you based on your needs. He offers some of the best value/pricing around so any wait is well worth it.
post #2025 of 2029 Old 03-28-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
The new subs will begin to ship as soon as the customized ICE power amps arrive in a few weeks.

There may be a little more of a wait with us but I do think you will be pleased with performance.

By the way tor those who brought it to our attention, the dual sub variants have been fixed on the website to reflect dual pricing.

Jeremy

post #2026 of 2029 Old 03-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
The new subs will begin to ship as soon as the customized ICE power amps arrive in a few weeks.

There may be a little more of a wait with us but I do think you will be pleased with performance.

By the way tor those who brought it to our attention, the dual sub variants have been fixed on the website to reflect dual pricing.

Should I PM or email you to discuss what will be my best option? Room size 20 x 18 with 8-10' sloped ceiling. Wife OK'd 1 large box. I've been considering the Gamma 218 or Echo 18 but if those will be WAY overkill, then I'll look at the smaller options. The room isn't sealed off, and I don't listen (regularly) at or near reference levels.
post #2027 of 2029 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just ordered dual gamma 15's. Thanks to jeremy for a speedy email reply. I'm super excited. I'll gladly share my listening experiences once I take delivery and have a chance to give em a workout
post #2028 of 2029 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocide74 View Post
Just ordered dual gamma 15's. Thanks to jeremy for a speedy email reply. I'm super excited. I'll gladly share my listening experiences once I take delivery and have a chance to give em a workout
Very nice! Congrats, now the hard part....... the waiting...lol
post #2029 of 2029 Unread Today, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocide74 View Post
Much appreciated!

Looks like the first run of 218s are about filled up (2 more available).
We still have 3 slots open for Echo 18 and a few more for the other 3 models.

All orders placed after the first production run will be filled with the second run a couple of weeks after the first run is fulfilled. Just a heads up.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers