AVS Forum banner

Reaction Audio Subs

441K views 6K replies 349 participants last post by  bgtighe23 
#1 ·
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24220225

Interesting. Looks like the company is less than 2 months old.....

Fyi, I looked on the MS secretary of business site and found no LLCs listed with the name Reaction Audio as described on their website.

Hi Irvin and Ozzie. This is my company. I haven't been very active on the online forums as of recent but we've been busy putting this together for quite some time.

Several years in the making.

We have filed with the state of MS and you should see it appear very soon as an LLC.

Sorry it took me a day to get back to you guys!

I got an email from a forum member you had questions.

#2,583 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac Interesting. Looks like the company is less than 2 months old.....

Fyi, I looked on the MS secretary of business site and found no LLCs listed with the name Reaction Audio as described on their website.

Hi Irvin and Ozzie. This is my company. I haven't been very active on the online forums as of recent but we've been busy putting this together for quite some time. Several years in the making. We have filed with the state of MS and you should see it appear very soon as an LLC.

Sorry it took me a day to get back to you guys! I got an email from a forum member you had questions.
It looks like you use Tannoy drivers! Patent infringement anyone :eek:

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24224728

Jeremy your subs look awesome if my Epik Dragon ever goes out on me I may have to consider your subs. How much does those 12 and 15 inch drivers weigh. Best of luck

The 12" Driver has a 2" voicecoil and about a 50 oz magnet.

The 15" Driver has a 3" dual voicecoil and the dual magnet structure clocks in about 82 oz..

You have an excellent subwoofer. Hopefully it will last you many years to come.

#8 ·
If these subs are as good as the specs say. The word should get around cuz this could be the new best sub @ $400.... I'm interested to see the shipped price on the dual 15" subs. The freq response doesn't seem to go very low tho. Although its claimed to go lower in room which if its a small sealed room that should be accurate.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24224705

Thanks for the reply. Looking through your post history it looks like you were involved with Chase previously?

If so, what prompted you to start your own ID company? What sets your product apart? (Always glad for more options)

Ozzie I primarily did CS for them when I lived in PA. I ended up going on tour with a national act. I could not relocate to Erie and work with them full time.

It was a great experience though. I now live in MS.

I wanted to start this company back about 6 years ago I just did not have the resources to do it properly.

Or the help for that matter!

Now things just kind of fell into place. We're just now getting this off the ground.

And were doing it very slowly. Were not trying to build a giant company overnight.

Just building subs and having fun doing it!

Basically with this entry level line we are building we just wanted to build some solid sounding sealed subs that could be offered under $1000 delivered.

Even some under $500 delivered. There are a lot of ported options under $500. Not as many for a good sealed design with healthy output.

It proved to be easiest to do that with 2 drivers with medium excursion and moderate amplifier power. We also wanted to keep the box size reasonable enough that it integrates well into most spaces.

We did not want it to be extremely tall or deep in one dimension.

We're certainly not reinventing the wheel, just trying to find a good recipe for a solid unit that delivers great performance for the dollar.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24225070

If these subs are as good as the specs say. The word should get around cuz this could be the new best sub @ $400.... I'm interested to see the shipped price on the dual 15" subs. The freq response doesn't seem to go very low tho. Although its claimed to go lower in room which if its a small sealed room that should be accurate.

That's our aim with the entry level sub.

I am still negotiating shipping rates on the 15". It's quite heavy. But rest assured we are going to get it under a grand delivered.

The freq response does not go into the single digits in our specs because there is a subsonic filter around 20 hz. Of course the filter is not a "brick wall" it is attenuation.

We actually got cone movement below 10hz on the 12" but it was being fed a strong signal. I did not feel it honest to tout that as response though because it takes quite a bit of SPL to get noticeable output well down in the teens or even single digits. And the filter is there to keep the amp from getting too warm under constant use and to prevent over excursion.

With multiples and extra eq I'm sure they could be pushed lower but I'm not comfortable touting that. I don't want to misrepresent what the subs are designed to do.

#10 ·
Well that is good to hear. I won't name specific companies but I really hate when X company says their sub will do eg... 18hz @ -3db but then when the sub is tested by a 3rd party the subs - 3db point is like 25hz.

I hope things go well for you because I own ID subs and I truly believe ID is the way to go. But most ID companies have their subs starting around $600 to $800 so a lower priced ID company with still good quality solid subs is going to be great.

Reactions: blake18
#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24226646

Hey Jeremy so the whole 15 inch driver weighs 82 oz. or just the dual magnet. Those drivers look beefy and 2 of those in one cabinet with 500 watts amp for under a grand sounds awesome. Man I bet the 15 inch sub has good mid-bass slam.

Just the magnet structure.

Yes it is fairly beefy for a cast frame woofer and pretty good on the efficiency side of things as far as sealed alignments go. The mid bass slam is very potent.

We are still about a month away from having those ready to ship and we are focusing on the BPS 212 right now.

A pair of them perform fairly similar to the dual 15. And quite easy to find space for at 15" x 18" x 18".

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24226993

Just the magnet structure.

Yes it is fairly beefy for a cast frame woofer and pretty good on the efficiency side of things as far as sealed alignments go. The mid bass slam is very potent.

We are still about a month away from having those ready to ship and we are focusing on the BPS 212 right now.

A pair of them perform fairly similar to the dual 15. And quite easy to find space for at 15" x 18" x 18".

Sounds promising. Have you considered sending a sub to Ricci at data-bass.com ?

That is the quickest way to build buzz on these boards. AVS loves numbers

#15 ·
I have not contacted Josh yet. But it is something I would like to do with the 15".

Until then I would have to say there wouldn't be much surprise compared to other sealed subs hes tested with roughly the same displacement. Im not trying to downplay the performance but I certainly wouldn't want to throw out claims that our sub will outperform this or that sub that costs three times as much. Id rather let listeners impressions speak as they begin to come in.

Avs does like numbers. Its important for us that one set of cea numbers be quoted. And those should come from josh or someone who has the same level of expertise.

Again. We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here.....just trying to find a nice balance of sound qaulity, build quality, output and aesthetics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24228738

Sounds promising. Have you considered sending a sub to Ricci at data-bass.com ?

That is the quickest way to build buzz on these boards. AVS loves numbers

#17 ·
Looks good and interesting price!

#19 ·
This looks pretty nice. Good combo of form factor, specs and price. Another thing is I've always thought the ~$400 range for subwoofers was a bit lacking. A solid upgrade from the $300/under budget subs that are out there today for an additional $100 or so is something that's been missing.

If the performance of this can just be 80-85% of an Epik Legend, but with much better reliability, then I think it's a winner.

#21 ·
From what I see so far imo you’re definitely on the right track. From a DIY’r standpoint I think I have a pretty good handle on what you’re up to and I’ll not be a bit surprised if you don’t do very well with your first two offerings. Congrats!

Reactions: edgebsl
#24 ·
Do these subs have grills to cover the drivers? I don't see any holes for pegs or anything. Also, what is the recommended placement with the dual drivers? One facing the room and one facing the wall? Mid wall with a driver facing each way would seem to be another option.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24238100

Do these subs have grills to cover the drivers? I don't see any holes for pegs or anything. Also, what is the recommended placement with the dual drivers? One facing the room and one facing the wall? Mid wall with a driver facing each way would seem to be another option.

Gmash, for the 215 we will be using full grills with magnets.

The BPS 212s that we are shipping out now for the intro price under $400 we designed to look really slick without grills with deep recessed baffles and beveled edges.

However we did intend for some basic grills for that model, but I really have not been satisfied with the durability of any of the grill pegs we had sourced. I've actually bought speakers myself from other manufacturers and ended up with broken pegs out of the box in the past. I did not want to see that happen. If we do add the magnetic grills to the 212 it may cause a price increase as they are more expensive. We really wanted to stay at that price point. But I feel that would be the only way to go to maintain the level of quality we intend.

This is something we could use some feedback on, as everyone who has received one so far has not had issue it. But if there is enough interest we may offer the magnetic grill option on the BPS 212 for slightly more.

We want to keep our customer base happy. As a side note, I did see that the $30,000.00 Magico Qsub has recessed beveled baffles and no grille option as well as the new Pinnacle Black Rhino series does the same.

As for the direction, if you are crossing over at 100 hz or lower, bass is pretty non directional. The dual baffle design sounds pretty much the same with the drivers firing sideways from the listening position or at the listener and at the real wall. I have one of the test units in my house and I have the drivers firing sideways along the front wall, but it's more for looks. You only really see the solid side of the cabinet. But there was no audible difference in my listening room.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl  /t/1512281/reaction-audio-subs#post_24238461

Gmash, for the 215 we will be using full grills with magnets.

The BPS 212s that we are shipping out now for the intro price under $400 we designed to look really slick without grills with deep recessed baffles and beveled edges.

However we did intend for some basic grills for that model, but I really have not been satisfied with the durability of any of the grill pegs we had sourced. I've actually bought speakers myself from other manufacturers and ended up with broken pegs out of the box in the past. I did not want to see that happen. If we do add the magnetic grills to the 212 it may cause a price increase as they are more expensive. We really wanted to stay at that price point. But I feel that would be the only way to go to maintain the level of quality we intend.

This is something we could use some feedback on, as everyone who has received one so far has not had issue it. But if there is enough interest we may offer the magnetic grill option on the BPS 212 for slightly more.

We want to keep our customer base happy. As a side note, I did see that the $30,000.00 Magico Qsub has recessed beveled baffles and no grille option as well as the new Pinnacle Black Rhino series does the same.

As for the direction, if you are crossing over at 100 hz or lower, bass is pretty non directional. The dual baffle design sounds pretty much the same with the drivers firing sideways from the listening position or at the listener and at the real wall. I have one of the test units in my house and I have the drivers firing sideways along the front wall, but it's more for looks. You only really see the solid side of the cabinet. But there was no audible difference in my listening room.

Personally the lack of grills is not a deal breaker for me, but I would imagine people with small children or curious pets might want some protection. Totally understand and agree about wanting to keep the price down, and not wanting to dilute the quality with a sub-par grill. Better to go without than give people a bad first impression. How long is the introductory pricing in effect? This sub is very tempting. Could you give a little more information about the amp being used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.