Dual subs even if they are both up front? And a question about cubic space measurement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I see people recommending dual subs over and over again to flatten out response in a room, however would the same principle apply if both subs were on the same front wall? I won't have the luxury of putting one sub in front and one in the back. See the pic below, I can either place the subs in the two corners, between the two towers or facing each other under the window and on the wall opposite of the window. Would that still flatten out the response or no? I completely am killing my budget at this point and I originally went from ordering one PSW505 to two PSW505s to selling both of those and getting something from Rythmik, SVS, PSA, Outlaw, etc. I was thinking either one PSA XV15 in one of the two corners or maybe in the middle between the two towers or getting a SVS PB1000 and later on getting a second PB1000 and putting them either in the corners or between the two towers.

Second part of the question, what exactly do you have to count when you are trying to figure out the cubic feet of a room? My main living space is 13x24x9 so that is 2808 CF, but it is an open space to a kitchen that is around 11x11x9 so that is another 1089 CF, than the hallway between the two is probably 11x5x9 so that is another 495 but as you can see in the right of the picture there is a staircase that leads to the bedrooms upstairs, do I also have to count this staircase and the little hallway between the bedrooms upstairs since there are no doors in any of these areas? That alone is probably another 1500 CF so would my total be almost 6000 CF? That seems insane for a 1500 SF townhouse lol. What would two PB1000s do for me? Would they get lost in the space or would they simply not be able to pressurize the space? Same for a PSA XV15. I am guessing I should go ported? Another issue is that wall the speakers are on is a shared wall with my neighbor (not sure what it's made of), as is the opposite wall that that speakers are firing at....so I have to be considerate that I can't shake the structure when watching movies unless I want to not be liked by my neighbors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You benefit from a better room response as long as they aren't adjacent to each other. Generally speaking, the greater the distance, the greater the benefit, but you reach a point where spacing them out further doesn't make much difference.

The volume thing is tough. In a sealed room, the calculation is easy. In an open room, it's more of a guess. Clearly, cubic feet in your immediate room matter more than in adjacent rooms, but both have an impact. You can't just add the total amount of open space. Otherwise, no amount of subwoorage would be enough for any outdoor setting. I really don't have a good answer for this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

You benefit from a better room response as long as they aren't adjacent to each other. Generally speaking, the greater the distance, the greater the benefit, but you reach a point where spacing them out further doesn't make much difference.

The volume thing is tough. In a sealed room, the calculation is easy. In an open room, it's more of a guess. Clearly, cubic feet in your immediate room matter more than in adjacent rooms, but both have an impact. You can't just add the total amount of open space. Otherwise, no amount of subwoorage would be enough for any outdoor setting. I really don't have a good answer for this.

If I placed the subs at opposite corners, the would be about 10 feet away from each other. 

Also you are very right, never though about outdoor settings and I can still definitely feel bass whenever I go to a concert. 

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
The primary source of room response zits is the distance relationship between the subs, the listening position and the wall in back of the listening position. When both subs are in the front of the room most of those relationships remain very much the same as with one sub, so there's little improvement. Placing the second sub as far as possible from the first, at the rear of the room if possible, will give the greatest alteration in those relationships, for the most improvement in the overall result.
Quote:
never though about outdoor settings and I can still definitely feel bass whenever I go to a concert.
The simple reason why is directly related to the presence of all those 18 wheelers at the venue: it takes a lot of subs to cover outdoors. On average whatever sub count a band needs indoors for a specified SPL at the FOH must be doubled outdoors if there's a roof over the audience, quadrupled if there isn't. The mains don't have that problem, as they don't rely on boundary reinforcement/space loading.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The primary source of room response zits is the distance relationship between the subs, the listening position and the wall in back of the listening position. When both subs are in the front of the room most of those relationships remain very much the same as with one sub, so there's little improvement. Placing the second sub as far as possible from the first, at the rear of the room if possible, will give the greatest alteration in those relationships, for the most improvement in the overall result.
The simple reason why is directly related to the presence of all those 18 wheelers at the venue: it takes a lot of subs to cover outdoors. On average whatever sub count a band needs indoors for a specified SPL at the FOH must be doubled outdoors if there's a roof over the audience, quadrupled if there isn't. The mains don't have that problem, as they don't rely on boundary reinforcement/space loading.

The couch is about 9 feet from the wall the subs are on but there is another wall about 15 feet behind the couch which won't have any subs on it so I guess I will just have to work with what I have.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Xv15 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Psw505 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page