I HATE SVS!!! My PB-1000 Impressions.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey guys! I'm back to share my impressions of my new SVS PB-1000. First off, I'm not really technical about this stuff. I'm still learning. There is not going to be any graphs or any of that type of stuff in this review. I'm still learning about all of that and how to measure using REW, but for now, this is just going to be about what I heard. Onto the review...

My room is 960 cubic feet. Tiny I know. It's a spare bedroom of the duplex I am renting. No acoustic treatments, tile floor with two area rugs, and a love seat. My setup consists of Polk CS20 center, TSI 500 mains, and TSI 200 surrounds. Denon 1713 AVR with Mult EQ XT, Panasonic DMP-BD210 blu ray player and an Xbox 360 E. Monoprice 14 gauge speaker cable, a Monster Standard THX subwoofer cable, and an Auralex Great Gramma for the sub and MoPads under the CS20. This is my first real subwoofer. Others I have heard are a Polk (forget the model) and the Klipsch SW 112.

Looks:

I love the way the PB-1000 looks! The black ash finish looks great. I don't like gloss black because I have a little ocd and I would constantly be cleaning it. I'm not crazy about the cloth grill. I like the metal grills of the more expensive models better, but it looks good enough. It's got some weight to it and feels sturdy, unlike the Klipsch SW112. The SW112's grill is cheap and flimsy. I don't like the grill because it totally covers up the gorgeous driver. I love that the SVS logo is on the driver. The pictures on the SVS site don't show this, so I was so happy when I unpacked it.

The Back:

The back is simple. I for one love the actual knobs. I know the more expensive models it's all digital, but I like the knobs. I'm a funciton over form guy, but I do think the PB-1000 is a great looking subwoofer! The LED light on the front is a little too bright, but it doesn't bother me enough to be an issue.

Setup and Impressions:

I started with my sub in the corner, ran Mult Eq XT, and the first thing I put on was the Marshall Mathers LP 2 cd. This is the only cd I actually have since I use ITunes, but I wanted to just put on a pure cd and not be subjected to Itunes eq or wutever they put on it. Utterly disappointed is an understatement for how I felt. The bass was almost non-existent. I set the sub up properly and I ran Mult Eq XT properly btw. I tried to tell myself that I loved it, but I just didn't. I played some blu rays and they faired a little bit better. I went to bed disappointed with my new purchase.

The next morning I decided to really delve into it and do the sub crawl. I moved my love seat and put the sub exactly where I sit. I played bass heavy music like Bass Can You Hear Me and any rap songs I had on my ipod. Putting my head right in front of the driver, I could def hear more bass and the feeling in the chest that I wanted. I crawled around the room and low and behold, I found the sweet spot. Funny enough its only about 2 or 3 feet forward of where the sub actually was. I put the sub there, reran Mult Eq XT, and I put on "Pony" by Ginuine. I sat back into my seat and I absolutely LOVED what I heard! I got a little bit of that hit in the chest that I was looking for this time. It's only a 10'' driver here, so I cant expect too much punch in the chest feelings I guess. The beginning drum beat to Nickelback's (I know I know) "Follow You Home" sounded absolutely amazing! I could feel the bass drum in my body. I replayed that 6 seconds over and over again. It was awesome!

Before I did the crawl I called SVS to see if they could help me. Again, they were extremely nice. They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but I just wanted to see how the customer service was, and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Great people to deal with! They told me that their subs only play what is there; nothing more or less. This was the moment of my subwoofer epiphany! I have only listened to crappy subwoofers that were just boomy and bloated, that I had no idea what a real subwoofer is supposed to sound like! My expectations were out of whack because of the 2 subs I've listened to before. It was all clear now.

Once I started with the blu rays, this epiphany only rang more true. The Incredible Hulk for example. The scene at the school. This sub totally rocked the s*** out of me. The way it handled that scene made me realize what good bass really is. The bass that comes out of this subwoofer is nothing but pure, clean, articulate bass. When the .50 cals go off, it sounds like nothing I've ever heard from a sub before. The clean heft and weight that the PB-1000 adds to that scene is incredible! The PB-1000 just sits back and does what it does. When it's called upon to deliver, it delivers in spades. Top Gun is another one of my favorites. The jets sounded like they were in my room!! Again, not overstated or bloated. Clean and articulate. The sonic gun scene from Minority Report was also awesome. I felt that one for sure! I could go on and on, but the result is all the same: AWESOME!!!

Conclusion:

I LOVE my PB-1000. All the talk about SVS that I've heard has been more than justified! For $499, this subwoofer is an amazing value! If anyone is reluctant to try it, don't be. The 45 day free trial CAN NOT be beat. It's the reason I went with SVS in the first place. I didn't want to take the chance on my first real sub and have to pay shipping back if I didn't like it. This sub produces pure, clean, raw, articulate, and any other of those buzz words around here that you can think of, bass. It has a flat response apparently (again, no personal measuring gear; have to just go by the website), and I like it. I like how the bass is not over exaggerated in certain frequencies. It takes some getting used to for the first time, but it's something that grows on you. I love just hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing, when I'm supposed to be hearing it. I've learned that a clean, articulate sub does not hit all the time throughout a film, It blends perfectly into the background with the rest of the soundtrack, and when it needs to be heard or felt, it has no problem doing so. My PB-1000 does this amazingly. It's been a real eye opener. Sorry for the misleading thread title, but I DO HATE SVS! I hate them because they have opened my ears and eyes, and now.....I GOTTA HAVE MORE!!!!! biggrin.gif And this is only the beginning of my subwoofer journey!!! Thanks for reading and to everyone on the forums who responded to my threads and gave me advice! I really appreciate it. I was not steered wrong!

Just buy this beauty already!!!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Nice review Batman!
post #3 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Nice Job, Bats.

Some of us had to start off with a lot less than the PB-1000 so consider yourself very fortunate. Glad you are enjoying your sub.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #4 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Now that's qualifies as a happy camper. Congratulations on your success. eek.gif Wow!...biggrin.gif
post #5 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I knew he'd love it wink.gif

nashou
post #6 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Nice review Batman!

Thanks!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #7 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
post #8 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Never under estimate the value of the subwoofer crawl! Placement is everything when it comes to getting good bass!
post #9 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Awesome read!! Nothing better than reading someone super happy with their purchase!! Congrats

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #10 of 40 Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! cool.gif

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #11 of 40 Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 AM

Yes, great read.
post #12 of 40 Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
We better get another bed ready up at the halfway house for another new sub addict. Congrats!
trog69 likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 40 Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

We better get another bed ready up at the halfway house for another new sub addict. Congrats!

Yeah you should haha. Thanks!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #14 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I think this is common when people first get a sub. They want to hear their new toy. It takes a while to realize that a well integrated sub shouldn't call attention to itself at all. Enjoy!
brian4274 likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post

I GOTTA HAVE MORE!!!!!

Ah yes, you will soon be looking at their more expensive options!
Reference_head likes this.
post #16 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Ah yes, you will soon be looking at their more expensive options!

Shh, we’ll let him have his honeymoon first. smile.gif
cchunter likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #17 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Shh, we’ll let him have his honeymoon first. smile.gif

I still love it! I was looking at the pb2000, but didn't want to wait til they began shipping. I wanted to hear an SVS sub to see if I was going to like it. Knowing that I do now, I'm going to be getting the PB2000. I wanna have a lot more gas in the tank if I need it when I move again. Thank god for their 45 day trial. The PB-1000 gave me a little taste of what SVS subs sounds like. The PB2000 is going to be my first sub that I'm going to keep. I can only imagine what their more expensive models sound like if I love the PB-1000.
steve nn likes this.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #18 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 711
svs are great subs congrats biggrin.gif

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #19 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:

I still love it! I was looking at the pb2000, but didn't want to wait til they began shipping. I wanted to hear an SVS sub to see if I was going to like it. Knowing that I do now, I'm going to be getting the PB2000. I wanna have a lot more gas in the tank if I need it when I move again

Based on this comment of exultation: "I GOTTA HAVE MORE!!!!!"

My recommendation, completely bypass the 2000 series and go for the Plus or Ultra series. And do so with an expectation of later buying a second one. You'll hate me now, you'll raise a glass and thank me in the future. biggrin.gif
post #20 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Based on this comment of exultation: "I GOTTA HAVE MORE!!!!!"

My recommendation, completely bypass the 2000 series and go for the Plus or Ultra series. And do so with an expectation of later buying a second one. You'll hate me now, you'll raise a glass and thank me in the future. biggrin.gif

I'd love nothing more than getting the PB13 ultra! But, sadly, the plus or ultra models are just not in my price range at all right now. $800 is the ultimate max I can afford right now. It sucks, but it'll give me something to work towards. I'm hoping by the time I actually have the funds to get one of those, SVS will have 15'' drivers available in their lineup. Idk if it'll ever happen, but a man can dream

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #21 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Hey guys! I'm back to share my impressions of my new SVS PB-1000. First off, I'm not really technical about this stuff. I'm still learning. There is not going to be any graphs or any of that type of stuff in this review. I'm still learning about all of that and how to measure using REW, but for now, this is just going to be about what I heard. Onto the review...

My room is 960 cubic feet. Tiny I know. It's a spare bedroom of the duplex I am renting. No acoustic treatments, tile floor with two area rugs, and a love seat. My setup consists of Polk CS20 center, TSI 500 mains, and TSI 200 surrounds. Denon 1713 AVR with Mult EQ XT, Panasonic DMP-BD210 blu ray player and an Xbox 360 E. Monoprice 14 gauge speaker cable, a Monster Standard THX subwoofer cable, and an Auralex Great Gramma for the sub and MoPads under the CS20. This is my first real subwoofer. Others I have heard are a Polk (forget the model) and the Klipsch SW 112.

Looks:

I love the way the PB-1000 looks! The black ash finish looks great. I don't like gloss black because I have a little ocd and I would constantly be cleaning it. I'm not crazy about the cloth grill. I like the metal grills of the more expensive models better, but it looks good enough. It's got some weight to it and feels sturdy, unlike the Klipsch SW112. The SW112's grill is cheap and flimsy. I don't like the grill because it totally covers up the gorgeous driver. I love that the SVS logo is on the driver. The pictures on the SVS site don't show this, so I was so happy when I unpacked it.

The Back:

The back is simple. I for one love the actual knobs. I know the more expensive models it's all digital, but I like the knobs. I'm a funciton over form guy, but I do think the PB-1000 is a great looking subwoofer! The LED light on the front is a little too bright, but it doesn't bother me enough to be an issue.

Setup and Impressions:

I started with my sub in the corner, ran Mult Eq XT, and the first thing I put on was the Marshall Mathers LP 2 cd. This is the only cd I actually have since I use ITunes, but I wanted to just put on a pure cd and not be subjected to Itunes eq or wutever they put on it. Utterly disappointed is an understatement for how I felt. The bass was almost non-existent. I set the sub up properly and I ran Mult Eq XT properly btw. I tried to tell myself that I loved it, but I just didn't. I played some blu rays and they faired a little bit better. I went to bed disappointed with my new purchase.

The next morning I decided to really delve into it and do the sub crawl. I moved my love seat and put the sub exactly where I sit. I played bass heavy music like Bass Can You Hear Me and any rap songs I had on my ipod. Putting my head right in front of the driver, I could def hear more bass and the feeling in the chest that I wanted. I crawled around the room and low and behold, I found the sweet spot. Funny enough its only about 2 or 3 feet forward of where the sub actually was. I put the sub there, reran Mult Eq XT, and I put on "Pony" by Ginuine. I sat back into my seat and I absolutely LOVED what I heard! I got a little bit of that hit in the chest that I was looking for this time. It's only a 10'' driver here, so I cant expect too much punch in the chest feelings I guess. The beginning drum beat to Nickelback's (I know I know) "Follow You Home" sounded absolutely amazing! I could feel the bass drum in my body. I replayed that 6 seconds over and over again. It was awesome!

Before I did the crawl I called SVS to see if they could help me. Again, they were extremely nice. They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but I just wanted to see how the customer service was, and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Great people to deal with! They told me that their subs only play what is there; nothing more or less. This was the moment of my subwoofer epiphany! I have only listened to crappy subwoofers that were just boomy and bloated, that I had no idea what a real subwoofer is supposed to sound like! My expectations were out of whack because of the 2 subs I've listened to before. It was all clear now.

Once I started with the blu rays, this epiphany only rang more true. The Incredible Hulk for example. The scene at the school. This sub totally rocked the s*** out of me. The way it handled that scene made me realize what good bass really is. The bass that comes out of this subwoofer is nothing but pure, clean, articulate bass. When the .50 cals go off, it sounds like nothing I've ever heard from a sub before. The clean heft and weight that the PB-1000 adds to that scene is incredible! The PB-1000 just sits back and does what it does. When it's called upon to deliver, it delivers in spades. Top Gun is another one of my favorites. The jets sounded like they were in my room!! Again, not overstated or bloated. Clean and articulate. The sonic gun scene from Minority Report was also awesome. I felt that one for sure! I could go on and on, but the result is all the same: AWESOME!!!

Conclusion:

I LOVE my PB-1000. All the talk about SVS that I've heard has been more than justified! For $499, this subwoofer is an amazing value! If anyone is reluctant to try it, don't be. The 45 day free trial CAN NOT be beat. It's the reason I went with SVS in the first place. I didn't want to take the chance on my first real sub and have to pay shipping back if I didn't like it. This sub produces pure, clean, raw, articulate, and any other of those buzz words around here that you can think of, bass. It has a flat response apparently (again, no personal measuring gear; have to just go by the website), and I like it. I like how the bass is not over exaggerated in certain frequencies. It takes some getting used to for the first time, but it's something that grows on you. I love just hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing, when I'm supposed to be hearing it. I've learned that a clean, articulate sub does not hit all the time throughout a film, It blends perfectly into the background with the rest of the soundtrack, and when it needs to be heard or felt, it has no problem doing so. My PB-1000 does this amazingly. It's been a real eye opener. Sorry for the misleading thread title, but I DO HATE SVS! I hate them because they have opened my ears and eyes, and now.....I GOTTA HAVE MORE!!!!! biggrin.gif And this is only the beginning of my subwoofer journey!!! Thanks for reading and to everyone on the forums who responded to my threads and gave me advice! I really appreciate it. I was not steered wrong!

Just buy this beauty already!!!
Very nice review batman!! I rcvd mine back in July and love it. I am also waiting to hear what everyone says about the 2000 and then upgrade. I don't have that SVS logo stamped on my driver confused.gif not a big deal though

-60" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #22 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

Very nice review batman!! I rcvd mine back in July and love it. I am also waiting to hear what everyone says about the 2000 and then upgrade. I don't have that SVS logo stamped on my driver confused.gif not a big deal though

I'm glad to hear you love yours too! It kinda sucks bout the no logo on the driver though. I have the grills on all my other speakers. I would put it on the SVS, but I just think it looks too good with the logo to cover it up. I'm hopin the PB/SB 2000 reviews will be coming soon. I hope other people on here post impressions about them too. After hearing what the PB-1000 can do, I don't think I have any reason to be worried that the PB-2000 is not awesome too.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #23 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

I think this is common when people first get a sub. They want to hear their new toy. It takes a while to realize that a well integrated sub shouldn't call attention to itself at all. Enjoy!

Thats me!

post #24 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
I am no tech either, but how do you go about doing the crawl when you have two subs¿
post #25 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordotcom View Post

I am no tech either, but how do you go about doing the crawl when you have two subs¿

I was wondering the same thing, I don't think it will matter as much as long as you have them in opposite corners. I believe that is one of the benefits of having two subs is that you drastically decrease the "hot spots" in the room and everywhere in the room should feel similar. Take my response with a grain of salt since I have not used dual subs, this is what I have gathered from reading these forums.
post #26 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post

I was wondering the same thing, I don't think it will matter as much as long as you have them in opposite corners. I believe that is one of the benefits of having two subs is that you drastically decrease the "hot spots" in the room and everywhere in the room should feel similar. Take my response with a grain of salt since I have not used dual subs, this is what I have gathered from reading these forums.

Have you downloaded and installed a freeware copy of REW?

Without room measuring capability, the best one is doing is guessing.
post #27 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Have you downloaded and installed a freeware copy of REW?

Without room measuring capability, the best one is doing is guessing.

No I have not done any room measurements. I would definitely be interested in doing this. I assume you need some sort of microphone to do this. I have the Mic that my Denon AVR-2113CI came with for the Audyssey setup, will that work?
post #28 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post

No I have not done any room measurements. I would definitely be interested in doing this. I assume you need some sort of microphone to do this.

Are you working with a laptop or a desktop. If you have a laptop, you can use a USB measuring microphone.

It's unbelievable how much errors and omissions are reveled using room measuring software.

(warning; ignorance is bliss, room measuring software, will crush your bliss.)
post #29 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
to me using room REW is too complicated, even watching the basics on You Tube is mind boggling, I would probably make matter worst
post #30 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Are you working with a laptop or a desktop. If you have a laptop, you can use a USB measuring microphone.

It's unbelievable how much errors and omissions are reveled using room measuring software.

(warning; ignorance is bliss, room measuring software, will crush your bliss.)

I would use my laptop. So looks like I may have to pick one of these up. I am thinking about going dual subs I currently have a pb12-nsd and ordered the PB-2000, most likely will be getting a second. I have 4 possible spots for my subs. I'll add a pic of my room. I currently have it in the front left and it seems to do pretty well there. My wall goes in there and fits perfectly so I don't know if that makes it better or worse. I originally had it just to the left of my TV but wasn't overly impressed. I estimated my room and staircase to be about 4200 cu/ft. If you had to guess by my room layout what would be the best spots for the subs. The questions marks are where I could place them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Klipsch Sw 112 Reference Series Powered Subwoofer Black , Polk Audio Tsi500 Floorstanding Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Cs20 Center Channel Speaker
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com