AVS Forum banner
5K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  jhughy2010 
#1 ·

I need to replace a Polk Audio 8 inch subwoofer (that barely performs) for my living room which is huge and has tile floors.  I only want one subwoofer and I really would like to come in under $350.  What is the best bang for the buck??? 

I've read about the Premier Acoustic PA-150 on another thread and I would totally consider that but I cannot find for my price point.  People said they paid $350 for theirs but it is currently listed at $499.  

Other things I've looked at:

Klipsch Sub-12HG

Bic America F12

Polk Audio PSW125

I have no experience with any of these.  I obviously think that I need to go as big as I can for the budget so I didn't even look at the 10 inch subwoofers in the same price range.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

See less See more
#53 ·
I know people hate to hear it, but I would say that you should save up a little longer. A few years ago I had a Sony sub that was putting out 50 watts peak. I replaced it with the BIC F12 just over 2 years ago. While the F12 isn't a bad sub, I find myself now looking to upgrade again this summer, likely to a HSU VTF-15h. The BIC, while better, never gave me the impact I wanted and I was frankly let down. I think if it were me (mind you, I did not listen to my own advice and got the F12) I would go either with the SVS, or if you can really stretch it, try to get the PSA XV15, with a larger room I think you'll be let down by some of the ones you're looking at.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subber  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/30#post_24310782

Talking about carpet, what would be the best place for carpet?
Everywhere.

It's the easiest to install and most effective, yet for all intents and purposes invisible, room treatment there is. Leave the tile in the bathroom and kitchen, where you don't care how it sounds.

#56 ·
Years ago I had a miller and kressel sub and paid good money for it. back then anyway. im talking 15 years ago or so. anywho. POS. compared to the SVS I purchased to put in it's place. imho a cheap sub is just that. and M&K was and is not really cheap. it just did nothing compared to the SVS.

thats my story.

good luck-

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/30#post_24310949

I know people hate to hear it, but I would say that you should save up a little longer. A few years ago I had a Sony sub that was putting out 50 watts peak. I replaced it with the BIC F12 just over 2 years ago. While the F12 isn't a bad sub, I find myself now looking to upgrade again this summer, likely to a HSU VTF-15h. The BIC, while better, never gave me the impact I wanted and I was frankly let down. I think if it were me (mind you, I did not listen to my own advice and got the F12) I would go either with the SVS, or if you can really stretch it, try to get the PSA XV15, with a larger room I think you'll be let down by some of the ones you're looking at.

You bring up a good point... For the same exact price, according to this chart, the XV15 would be twice the performance of an SVS subwoofer (even though they are comparing last years model).  I'm very tempted to say the least.  

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/30#post_24320320

You bring up a good point... For the same exact price, according to this chart, the XV15 would be twice the performance of an SVS subwoofer (even though they are comparing last years model).  I'm very tempted to say the least.  
XV15 from what I hear is a good sub for the money but I wouldn't be buying into that chart though.

#60 ·

You guys were really helpful during this journey of decision and education... I just pulled the trigger and ordered the PSA XV15.  I'll post back with questions on how to fine tune it I'm sure.  Thanks all for the help I learned a lot these past several months trying to get into the hobby.  

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/60#post_24444472

Great choice for your large room, congrats!
I noticed in your signature you are getting a PSA XS30?  I was grinding my teeth all day contemplating spending the extra $350 and getting it instead!  I think that it would have been an even better choice but I just didn't know considering the sealed design.  What do you think?  I can still cancel my order LOL!

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/60#post_24444850

I noticed in your signature you are getting a PSA XS30?  I was grinding my teeth all day contemplating spending the extra $350 and getting it instead!  I think that it would have been an even better choice but I just didn't know considering the sealed design.  What do you think?  I can still cancel my order LOL!
Shoot Tom an e-mail. However, in my less expert opinion, the XV15 will be a better choice in your room for home theater.  The XS30 relies on room gain for strong output below 30Hz.  I think your room is too big, mine is 17x16.5x9

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/60#post_24444931

Shoot Tom an e-mail. However, in my less expert opinion, the XV15 will be a better choice in your room for home theater.  The XV30 relies on room gain for strong output below 30Hz.  I think your room is too big, mine is 17x16.5x9
Copy I think that makes sense too.  I bet it'll sound great though!  I'll stick with my XV15 (likely to upgrade room acoustics next like carpet and cloth curtains) and will contemplate getting a better AVR to drive the NHT's.  

#65 ·

I received my XV15 yesterday and had the later half of the day to audition it.  My initial impressions:

Out of the box the thing is huge, heavy and relatively attractive for a basic design.  I basically set it up exactly where my old Polk sub had been (which is a relatively poor choice in placement due to room acoustic characteristics... however, I'm limited in this regard for the time being).  

Keep in mind my room is approximately 4300 cubic feet and mostly tile, the sub as a consequence was placed on tile because my area rug doesn't extend anywhere near the wall.  I began with a Coldplay song which was relatively impressive as compared to my old Polk.  I had high hopes for the XV15 to "pressurize" the room, however, simply due to the size and placement (in relation to MLP) I had a rather underwhelmed feeling when I was listening to a few tracks.  I moved on to a electronica track and the XV15 began to move across the floor.  It was actually pretty comical.  

After I chased my new XV15 across my tile floor, I moved it directly into the center of my living space, onto the area rug, and auditioned it with a pop song, which was more impressive.  I decided to call it a day in regards to music, knowing that this subwoofer could do more than just shake the walls of my house, if I'd upgrade room acoustics.  

My GF and I decided to watch "Catching Fire" the latest Hunger Games title.  We had never seen it and thought it'd be a perfect night to audition both movie and subwoofer.  When people on this forum say that the XV15 shines during movies/home theater purposes, they are not exaggerating.  I was lift with an "overwhelming" feeling of wanting to watch another movie afterwards.  The XV15, even in it's poor placement and on tile, shined like the stars in the skies during this movie.  I was impressed, and therefore satisfied with my purchase.  

I'll continue to explore my options with placement; I pretty much have a desired location picked out, just need to wait on my custom area rug install (basically a huge piece of premium carpet, custom cut, with edges and thick padding) and a longer sub cable.  I'll be putting this right next to the couch that is considered my MLP (the XV15 will make a nice endtable).  

A few questions... I have NHT classic two's for my two mains and two surrounds, plus a NHT TwoC for my center.... what should I set crossover frequency to in the AVR speaker settings?  Also, the crossover frequency on the subwoofer needs to be the same as the setting in the AVR correct?

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov  /t/1513183/help-me-decide-on-a-subwoofer/60#post_24516128

Set your speakers to "small" crossover 80hz on AVR.

On the XV15 crossover all the way up 150hz and phase at 0 gain around 2 o'clock.

Enjoy!
Right (red) or left input?  My longest input is a single connector (I have a 12 monster cable with the Y connector but it is 4 feet too short).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.