Which SVS SUBWOOFER? PB or SB ULTRA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All, 
So I am letting my Meridian M2500.2 subwoofer go to a very good home this week and so about to place an order for my new subwoofer. 

Im in two minds however of which to go for… 

I have been looking at an SVS for a long time now and have heard my friends 12/2+ a while back and was really amazed at what it could do. 

So im in a quandary as to get the following… 

- SVS SB13 ULTRA (Sealed Box) 
- SVS PB13 ULTRA (Ported Box) 

I can only install one as this time. I can accommodate the larger PB version but obviously very limited on moving it around if needed. I plan to position it between the center and right speaker. 

I am using a buttkicker transducer at the moment as the M2500.2 isn't creating the deep down low that Im looking for…. I would love to however have a sub installed where I would be happy to do away with the buttkicker all together…. 

ROOM SIZE: 
5m x 4.2m x 2.2m 1600cubic ft approximately. 
Solid concrete on ALL sides. Carpeted flooring. Solid door that seals the room nicely. 
Acoustically treated with 13 GIK panels and tri trap corner bass traps. 

It would be GREAT to have your experience and advise. Especially those experienced with SVS equipment. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
whats your listening %... movies/music?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Liked: 27
Hey OP. I had a PB-1000 in my room. It's only 960 cubic feet; tiny. It sounded absolutely amazing in my space. I would go with the PB 13 ultra. You can plug the ports if you find it sounds better for music than unplug them for movies. You have that flexibility with the PB, not with the SB. I'm a 99% movie guy so after putting a ported sub in my tiny room and having it sound awesome, I don't think I'm ever going to go sealed unless I finally have the funds for dual or quad Submersives some day. I have Mult EQ XT on my Denon 1713, and it sounded like it did a fantastic job eliminating most if not all of my room gain. I have no measuring gear, but the bass from the PB-1000 was clean and clear. Not boomy or overstated due to room gain. That's the fear a lot of people have with putting a ported sub in a small sealed room, but in my case, it sounded absolutely fine. If cost and space is not an issue, I say try the PB. You can always send it back and get the SB if you want to. SVS is great. They'll take care of you. Good luck moving that thing though biggrin.gif

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Owned a ported SVS. Switched to sealed box. In a smaller room. Ported subs are great but I think sealed box works better in a small room

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi All, 
Wow you guys are really helpful with your thoughts and suggestions!. 

Ok, so there were some questions so will try and elaborate on a few points…. 
- I listen to about a 70%movie 30% music split right now. 

- Listen to more chilled music really. Anything from Pink Floyd - Santana - Ray Charles - along with a bunch of Jazz and other types of blues. I typically listen to left/right + sub channels for music. 

- I am passing on my Meridian sub as I feel its under powered for what I would like. Its rated @ 200w and there have been great advances in sub technology in recent years. I really want a sub that delivers tight/loud and deep. I really want a sub to pressure the room and deliver a chest thump with a snap. I would love to pick out the varying layers and levels of bass that has been mixed into the sound mix. At the moment if I turn off the buttkicker I feel that there is just not enough bass at all… Im missing the powerful energy that fills the room. The buttkicker is great BUT it delivers a tactile shake to the butt and not the CHEST. Kind of tricky to explain but when those movie moments that thwack you in the chest are phenomenal and something I'm seeking out. 

- I would love to demo but can't locally…. Will need to order through LSOUND here in Europe and would like not to have to send a unit back. 

- I don't plan on having two subs at the moment but certainly do in the future! What ever I get I will most definitely pair it later on. 

I guess my gut is telling me to go with the SB as I do like the full range of tight bass. However I do like those ridiculous low rumbles as well : ) I guess the buttkicker could help out down to 5Hz when needed….. I also kind of like the size of the SB and adding another later on would be pretty easy and being able to change its location round the room if needed is pretty nice too…. 

Would be great to hear anyones first hand experience with BOTH subs in their systems……I just wanted to ask you sub experts before placing my order as you got a ton more experience that me!!!! 
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 12:02 PM

Liked: 28

PB13 over SB, no doubt

post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Not in that size room IMO.

I've owned ported SVS and sealed SVS

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharris7 View Post

PB13 over SB, no doubt

Actually, I would go with the PC13-Ultra, as it is nearly identical performance with the PB13-Ultra, for $300 less and also takes up less floor space and is lighter and an easier shape to grab onto, so it is much easier to move.  But yes, I agree, I would go with the ported version over the sealed.  One cannot have a subwoofer with too much output capability, as one sets the level that one wishes.  Having extra capability means that the peaks will be less likely to ever be badly distorted.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501

I would think either sealed or ported would work well in a room that size but I would consider going with one of the ported versions of the Ultra's since it's for 70% movies and as Jack noted, you can't have too much output when it comes to movies. 

However, I'm just going on my own experience with ported and sealed subs and since I've never owned a SVS sub I would seriously consider fat bottom's thoughts since he has owned both.  

post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Actually, I would go with the PC13-Ultra, as it is nearly identical performance with the PB13-Ultra, for $300 less and also takes up less floor space and is lighter and an easier shape to grab onto, so it is much easier to move.  But yes, I agree, I would go with the ported version over the sealed.  One cannot have a subwoofer with too much output capability, as one sets the level that one wishes.  Having extra capability means that the peaks will be less likely to ever be badly distorted.

That's why I chose the PC-13 due to the $300 price difference. In addition, you can always seal it if that's what you desire. Can't un-seal an SB-13

Jack D Ripper likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharris7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

That's why I chose the PC-13 due to the $300 price difference. In addition, you can always seal it if that's what you desire. Can't un-seal an SB-13

Yes, that is another point worth mentioning.  With the current ported SVS Ultra subwoofers, one has the option of running them with all of the ports blocked, which gives one a sealed subwoofer, or one can block only some of them, for different tunings.  But the sealed is just sealed, with no other options.

I have older Ultra subwoofers that were not designed to have all of the ports blocked (only one or two, if desired), so I forgot about the sealed option with the newer, better version.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page