5.2 Receiver and Single Subwoofer Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I currently connect my Sub to my receiver with a 3.5mm to rca/coax connector. On the back of my receiver it has 2 ports for 2 subwoofers. However would it hurt my subwoofer if I used both ports connecting to just ONE subwoofer instead of the intended 2? I notice I get more boom when I do it that way, but want to double check first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BHC7ZT4

That is the receiver I use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked: 801
You can do the same by using a "Y" connector to cable a single output to both inputs. What's happening, the input signal's strength is being doubled.

The caveat is, can the subwoofer handle the added signal boost? Most can, some can't and it's best to give the manufacture a call to verify that doubling up the signal strength won't cause the Amps pre.pro any harm.
Satanicat likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

You can do the same by using a "Y" connector to cable a single output to both inputs. What's happening, the input signal's strength is being doubled.

The caveat is, can the subwoofer handle the added signal boost? Most can, some can't and it's best to give the manufacture a call to verify that doubling up the signal strength won't cause the Amps pre.pro any harm.

Thank you. I've noticed when only using one port for my sub the power doesnt seem good. When doubling it up with a y connector (never knew it was called that haha) it sounded like normal. So I think I'll go with doubling it up, because otherwise I'm making the subwoofer have a +10db gain from my receiver and id rather not increase that number beyong +/- 0db.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 801
.....biggrin.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
I've noticed when only using one port for my sub the power doesnt seem good. When doubling it up with a y connector (never knew it was called that haha) it sounded like normal. So I think I'll go with doubling it up, because otherwise I'm making the subwoofer have a +10db gain from my receiver and id rather not increase that number beyong +/- 0db.
What is the gain on the sub itself currently set at? It sounds like it's set way too low.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

What is the gain on the sub itself currently set at? It sounds like it's set way too low.

By default it was just set to the normal 0db, when only using one port I find I need to crank it to +10db to notice much of an improvement in hearing it. Keeping in mind on my old receiver the sub worked fine. Im sure I just need to tweak the settings, but for now using both of those ports with a Y connector seems to fix the issue.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page