Persistent subwoofer buzz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So I have an old Genesis 900 subwoofer that was handed down to me. It sounds great with music, but unfortunately it has a persistent buzz. I've done a lot of googling, and I feel like I've tried just about every troubleshooting step I've read. I thought I would give the question one more shot here. This is also complicated by the fact that the remote that controls the subwoofer's settings doesn't seem to work anymore. Important points:

-The buzz continues even when the audio signal is disconnected
-I have tried different power cables
-I have tried different power outlets, included one that the receiver is connected to and one not
-I have tried removing all other devices connected to the outlet except the subwoofer
-I have tried a 3 to 2 pronged power adapter

Is there anything I'm missing? Anyone else have this subwoofer and have this issue? Is it worth trying to get it repaired, and if so who repairs subwoofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have used this subwoofer for a number of years and have been very happy with it. Aside from replacing the fuse with a removable fuse it has been trouble free. Unfortunately these subs have a history of amplifier problems with their G-SAT amplifier. The amplifier apparently is not of a generic variety and difficult to find anyone who knows anything about them. Four or five years ago, when I was researching my fuse issue, I recall that there was in individual that specialized in rebuilding and repairing the amplifiers in these subs. He may have been referred to me by the current Genesis owner who was a great fan of the old product. You may wish to try and track him down and contact this service man to see if he is familiar with your symptoms. At the time I felt the diagnostic costs, future repairs or amplifier replacement would be prohibitive given the age of the subwoofer. I self diagnosed my problem as a fuse problem and kept the unit alive. Removal of the amplifier from the back of the unit is fairly straight forward. You may wish to unscrew the amplifier from the back, take it out and see if anything is amiss yourself. You may be lucky and have a loose solder joint. If you decide to ship it somewhere for service or replacement you will probably remove the amplifier anyway rather than ship the whole box.
lockdown571 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thank you very much for the advice! I'll try taking the amp out and see if anything is amiss.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You may find this thread on another forum of interest regarding your Genesis subwoofer issues. While not dealing with your model, it deals with other's attempts to resolve amplifier problems with older Genesis products.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9235-Replacing-Plate-Amp-in-G501
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page