I'm Still Fixing Sunfire Subs etc. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Thanks for your support, guys. Means a lot in these difficult times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That suks man... eek.gif I feel your pain. If the drivers and electronics are still good, maybe someone at the DIY forum can spec out a new box for them....Dual drivers in a ported box biggrin.gif sounds like the ticket...
post #33 of 56 Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

That suks man... eek.gif I feel your pain. If the drivers and electronics are still good, maybe someone at the DIY forum can spec out a new box for them....Dual drivers in a ported box biggrin.gif sounds like the ticket...

Thank you for the suggestion, but I dont think so.
You see, Sunfire subs or almost any Sunfire product (well, up to a few years ago) were masterpieces. They were masterpieces from both esthetic and engineering perspectives. Take these True subs, for example. They produce 5 times the amount of bass of a conventional subwoofer. If competition wanted to achieve the same effect, their subs would be the size of a fridge.
So, placing the drivers of this monster inside some handmade box is not only a sacrilege. It would simply fall apart at a high SPL.

Its like taking an engine from a 960HP Koenigsegg Agera and putting it under the hood of a Ford F150 pickup truck. Lets assume for a second it would fit. The engine is only one part of a vehicle. The F150 transmission will switch to a higher gear in a second while the engine will have sped up by a thousand RPM! You still need a transmission that would keep up with this powerful engine. Even if that works, you still need tires that will transfer this insane amount of torque (1,100nM) to the asphalt. Otherwise, they will be spinning for 12 minutes until they are shredded while the car stays motionless. There is also the suspension and a hundred other things we have no idea about. So, this is not an option.

As you can probably tell I am an admirer of Sunfire products - how they look, how they sound... That is why these smashed subs are a terrible sight to me. Cant stand looking at them. I've put them in garage while I sort out the situation.
post #34 of 56 Old 03-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

As you can probably tell I am an admirer of Sunfire products - how they look, how they sound... That is why these smashed subs are a terrible sight to me. Cant stand looking at them. I've put them in garage while I sort out the situation.
I can certainly understand, I included my Sunfire setup with the sale of my condo 5/6 years ago and still smile when I think about that setup. I just threw that out there as a worst case scenario. It'd be a shame to waste the drivers if the box is completely shot. I would try it before I just let them sit or sold them for parts. Btw.. a lot of the guys at the DIY forum here are experts in the field and could probably clone that enclosure... again just throwing it out there for you. Good luck with them.
post #35 of 56 Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

You see, Sunfire subs or almost any Sunfire product (well, up to a few years ago) were masterpieces. They were masterpieces from both esthetic and engineering perspectives

Yes. If they're like mine they have a transparent ebonized rosewood finish. Looks black from a distance, but up close you see the rosewood. Very hard to duplicate. Very elegant finish.

I have seen blown or gutted Sunfire subs pop up on ebay occasionally, so if you get stuck with these maybe you can do a transplant.
post #36 of 56 Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Thanks. I've had a stressful couple of days because of these two subs.
I see this listing on ebay: "SUNFIRE TRUE 10" PR STS EQ10 SUBWOOFER SPEAKERS SIGNATURE SUB ROSEWOOD TS-EQ 10"
The starting price is $1,395.00. That is for a pair.
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Apparently, they come from an estate sale from some $22mln mansion. While I contemplate whether or not to bid, someone else places the first bid. I immediately do what I do well - I panic. The thought that someone will own these beauties is horrible! I contact the seller offering him $1600 for the pair ($200 over current high bid). We use a special double speak code because ebay communication board deletes all phone numbers or email addresses if the users have not sold/bought anything from each other. The seller calls me up and says "pay up now and I will ship them tomorrow (on Monday)".
I paypal him the money. I know the $1,600 is not that much for the two signatures.
Then, on Monday evening, I sense there is something wrong with the transaction. The seller is solid. His feedback is 10 times better than mine, he has been selling for many years, all he sells is high end gear , low end Picasso paintings and the likes. So, why do I have this feeling that I have been duped? I contact the seller - who has removed the auction by now and even sent me Fedex tracking) - and ask him if the subs were tested and if there are any issues. He says - no, he tested them, they worked fine and he stands 100% behind them even though the deal was made beyond ebay.
Then it hits me. The auction description is for True Signature STS EQ10, but the pictures show standard ones. The one above is the actual picture from the auction. The one below is of a Signature. It actually has Bob's fake signature and has an inscription, "Signature".

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

I am not a Sunfire expert. But I know the difference between the two. The signatures have SPL 116, while standards are 110db. The Signatures are 13x13x13 and 53lbs, while standards are 11x11x11 and 48lbs. There is a more important difference. The price.
Who can help me with the price difference between them?
Much obliged.

I never buy anything out of E-bay. You lose the E-bay money back guarantee when you do that.

This looks to be the original listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFIRE-TRUE-10-PR-STS-EQ10-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKERS-SIGNATURE-SUB-ROSEWOOD-TS-EQ-10-/181339644944?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2a38af6410&nma=true&si=vvxOBrE6I2mRZ73QtMUh0J0X3Nk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#shpCntId
post #37 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

I can certainly understand, I included my Sunfire setup with the sale of my condo 5/6 years ago and still smile when I think about that setup. I just threw that out there as a worst case scenario. It'd be a shame to waste the drivers if the box is completely shot. I would try it before I just let them sit or sold them for parts. Btw.. a lot of the guys at the DIY forum here are experts in the field and could probably clone that enclosure... again just throwing it out there for you. Good luck with them.

That is a great suggestion. Can you post some links here to those DIY forums on AVS, please? Thanks, wpbpete!
post #38 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:

That is a great suggestion. Can you post some links here to those DIY forums on AVS, please? Thanks, wpbpete!
Sure, here's an example of what can be done...But if you want to get some expert opinions, (I'm just a DIY lurker, hoping to dive in soon) smile.gif just start a thread and you will get some great ideas for your particular needs.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473976/diy-sub-build-using-2-sunfire-original-drivers-hivi-sp10-help
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

in a properly sized vented enclosure, 6-8db additional spl around the tuning frequency is not uncommmon and more is possible.

sealed box, 1.25 cubic feet, yellow.
ported box, 2 cubic feet, tuned to 27hz with a 4" diameter port that is 20" long, red.
both with no eq and 500 watts.

the ported enclosure would need a 2nd order high pass filter to protect the driver below the tuning frequency, but for the same wattage, you can pick up almost 12db around the tuning frequency. that is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod View Post

well my friend started the box for me yesterday...he is a very talented ..i will post some of his work later..it is a dual sealed cabinet each at .7 cu ft....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod View Post

progress so far...enclosure painted..drivers installed..wrapped in grill cloth and sealed with maple...

)
post #39 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Grigor,
Glad to see other members feel your pain and are trying to help out.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #40 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe you should start a new thread like wpbpete says and you will get more help.

Maybe I will. If I do, how would I start it? What would be a good title? Sunfire Subs ? Any suggestions? I'm sure there are many Sunfire owners on this Forum.

Big Sound, Small Footprint. Always respected Bob Carvers innovations.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #41 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Grigor,
Glad to see other members feel your pain and are trying to help out.

Looks like your collective moral support created a miracle. The seller of the subs refunded 100% and apologized profusely. He is sending Fedex to pickup the damaged subs tomorrow.
Thanks guys for pulling for me! biggrin.gif
post #42 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Wow. A happy ending.

post #43 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Looks like your collective moral support created a miracle. The seller of the subs refunded 100% and apologized profusely. He is sending Fedex to pickup the damaged subs tomorrow.
Thanks guys for pulling for me! biggrin.gif

Great!

No need to panic about missing deals on ebay. I had my eye on Sunfire subs there for quite a while and there's always a good deal popping up. Best Offers have given me the best deals. Don't be afraid to offer less than you'd think they'd accept. That's how I bought my Sunfires.
post #44 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post

Great!

No need to panic about missing deals on ebay. I had my eye on Sunfire subs there for quite a while and there's always a good deal popping up. Best Offers have given me the best deals. Don't be afraid to offer less than you'd think they'd accept. That's how I bought my Sunfires.

You are absolutely right, SmittyJS.

Lesson learned. Never go outside of ebay. If I am outbid, just move on and wait until a new deal pops up. I was lucky that the seller took responsibility for an idiot warehouse employee.

I actually emailed him on Friday - sent him the pictures. He replied back stating that we will have to work with Fedex as they messed up the delivery. I replied that the subs were clearly inadequately packed. Fedex will conclude that in a month without a shred of a doubt. And I am not going to be the one holding the bag, money or time wise. One layer of bubble wrap and a thin cardboard box - are you kidding me? The subs are 100lbs ! Of course there will be some throwing, shaking during the shipment. That is why sellers always pack their products well, so these things wouldn't happen. So, this is not Fedex's fault. They have no idea whats in the box and how neatly it was packed.

He agreed with me and wrote that he was in an airport and will refund as soon as he comes back on Monday (tomorrow). I replied - no problem, have a safe trip. He returned early, today and refunded the money. So, kudos to this guy for his honesty and integrity. He treated me (even though we went outside ebay) as he wants to be treated himself.

I already bought a 12 inch True Signature. This one. I first ask this new seller if he packs them well. He wrote dont worry , we ship hundreds of packages a week and have not had a shipping problem. I want to believe this guy. What choice do I have?
post #45 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM

^^^^ that's good to hear smile.gif best of luck with the new one and please post some pics of it so we can all enjoy with you
post #46 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I already bought a 12 inch True Signature. This one. I first ask this new seller if he packs them well. He wrote dont worry , we ship hundreds of packages a week and have not had a shipping problem. I want to believe this guy. What choice do I have?

From the ad, it looks like it's probably in the original box. If it's the same box as mine, don't worry. The boxes are thick and the subs are well protected.
post #47 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post

From the ad, it looks like it's probably in the original box. If it's the same box as mine, don't worry. The boxes are thick and the subs are well protected.

I am worried no matter what now. The last experience was a complete shock. I dont know what to expect even from experienced sellers anymore. All it takes is one warehouse employee who doesnt know the difference between a Sunfire and a dumbbell.
post #48 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

I am worried no matter what now. The last experience was a complete shock. I dont know what to expect even from experienced sellers anymore. All it takes is one warehouse employee who doesnt know the difference between a Sunfire and a dumbbell.

Your last experience should give you confidence. It was a bad deal but the seller handled it really well.

That is why I carefully review feedback before I buy off ebay. Also, I always buy within ebay and use PayPal. Cheap insurance.
post #49 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This thread is going WAY off topic....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #50 of 56 Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

This thread is going WAY off topic....

True. My apologies to fmalitz and everybody else.
I will shut up until my new Sunfire arrives, I will then post some pics as requested.
I assure you I am not a troller and it was not my intention to divert this thread.
post #51 of 56 Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Many posts on this Forum go off topic. I look at some of the posts here as a learning experience. No need to apologize grigorianvlad.

post #52 of 56 Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I dont think so.
You see, Sunfire subs or almost any Sunfire product (well, up to a few years ago) were masterpieces. They were masterpieces from both esthetic and engineering perspectives. Take these True subs, for example. They produce 5 times the amount of bass of a conventional subwoofer. If competition wanted to achieve the same effect, their subs would be the size of a fridge.
So, placing the drivers of this monster inside some handmade box is not only a sacrilege. It would simply fall apart at a high SPL.

Its like taking an engine from a 960HP Koenigsegg Agera and putting it under the hood of a Ford F150 pickup truck. Lets assume for a second it would fit. The engine is only one part of a vehicle. The F150 transmission will switch to a higher gear in a second while the engine will have sped up by a thousand RPM! You still need a transmission that would keep up with this powerful engine. Even if that works, you still need tires that will transfer this insane amount of torque (1,100nM) to the asphalt. Otherwise, they will be spinning for 12 minutes until they are shredded while the car stays motionless. There is also the suspension and a hundred other things we have no idea about. So, this is not an option.

Actually, if the amplifiers and drivers are still fine, it literally is just a matter of having two boxes built with similar internal dimensions as what you have, stuffing it with similar amounts of fill (check whatever is in the boxes now) well braced, and voila, same sub output and frequency response. Only question then is how good will the boxes look which is of course the difficult part, thought you could get a furniture builder to do them. Then you can have the same 5 times the conventional subwoofer output. wink.gif

That is, if you can't get a refund and return them though chances are they won't want them back.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #53 of 56 Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Nevermind, sorry I missed the post that the seller was taking the back and refunding you the money. Congrats!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #54 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Nevermind, sorry I missed the post that the seller was taking the back and refunding you the money. Congrats!

Thanks, PBC. The new 12" arrived today. The seller accepted my offer of $1,400 ($99 below auction price). Then, after I asked why there was not a tracking number, refunded $140 for delaying the shipment by a day. I dint mind.

As soon I saw the UPS truck I ran to intercept the box, but it was OK. This one was quadruple boxed. I am posting pics below as a spoiler to avoid scrolling in the future.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Looks like my troubles are over. The last fiasco with the two 10" standard subs ended up in buying one 12" Signature. All is well that ends well. I dont think it could have ended up better (apart from me agonizing over the two smashed subs and not knowing if I will ever get a refund for a week).

Thanks for your suggestions, everybody!
post #55 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! What a beast. Lucky you. Can't wait for 2 years when kid is out of college. Then it's my turn to buy some fun stuff.

post #56 of 56 Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM

A beast indeed smile.gif very nice. Enjoy...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page