I'm Still Fixing Sunfire Subs etc. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still fixing? How can we tell if the plate need fixing or the driver?

had to buy a temp sub Polk PSW505 till I can get this True sub fix or just get rid of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 12-01-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
First check the drive. You can connect a 9 volt battery to the plus/minus terminals. If it moves, you are likely ok. If you connect a volt/ohm meter, it will jump between 0 and infinity when the driver is dead.

If the driver is ok, connect a mp3 music player or dvd player directly to the inputs on the subwoofer. Make sure to turn down the volume. If you get little or no sound, then you have an amp problem.

To do the repair yourself, you need the circuit diagram from the service manual (many manufacturers consider this information proprietary), a volt/ohm meter, a soldering iron, and very considerable skill and luck.

Subwoofer repairs can run $200-300 with the subwoofer returned with a 30-90 day guarantee. You will also pay to-and-from shipping to any repair location.
post #63 of 74 Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Just came across your post regarding repairing the Sunfire subs. I have an original Sunfire Sig sub fro the late 90's. It developed a hum and no longer powers up(likely caps).

I'm not clear on if you repair them? If so, what is the process? Any idea on the repair costs based on the symptoms?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

post #64 of 74 Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I had a true Signature whatever it was called. It had a hum so i got rid of it, Had two SVS subs since and never a hum.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
post #65 of 74 Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkster View Post
I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII that is pretty much exhibiting the same faults (hum, popping, no LFE sound). what is the current process to get the sub amp to you and current cost?
Call me. 847-668-4519
Frank
post #66 of 74 Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post
First check the drive. You can connect a 9 volt battery to the plus/minus terminals. If it moves, you are likely ok. If you connect a volt/ohm meter, it will jump between 0 and infinity when the driver is dead.

If the driver is ok, connect a mp3 music player or dvd player directly to the inputs on the subwoofer. Make sure to turn down the volume. If you get little or no sound, then you have an amp problem.

To do the repair yourself, you need the circuit diagram from the service manual (many manufacturers consider this information proprietary), a volt/ohm meter, a soldering iron, and very considerable skill and luck.

Subwoofer repairs can run $200-300 with the subwoofer returned with a 30-90 day guarantee. You will also pay to-and-from shipping to any repair location.
There are no service manuals. Schematics are not available. I am the only dedicated Sunfire repair depot who can fix any Sunfire model (or anything else, by the way). We get in botched repairs every month.
Frank 847-668-4519. Call for repair instruction sheet. Any day, any time.
post #67 of 74 Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalitz View Post
Call me. 847-668-4519
Frank
Already in contact with you!

r/Rich
post #68 of 74 Old 01-16-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in what I think is an unusual situation. I have a ca 1999 Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature (that's what is on the back plate, with Bob Carver's signature). Not EQ, STS, etc. From the owner's manual which I still have it has 2700w amplifier output, response is claimed 16-100Hz +0/-3dB, dimension is a 13" cube and weight is 53 lbs. I may have one of the earliest units (I recall it was something getting a good amount of attention at the time) as it appears the owner's manual is actually for a Sunfire True Subwoofer with an addendum page added for the Signature specs.

Anyway: since new I've had a problem with this beast. The bass is phenomenal - and still is. But whenever there is a passage with loud bass components, a loud hum develops. The only way to "fix" this is to turn the sub's volume all the way up - which will induce a pretty loud, low "thud", then back it down to normal setting (generally 6 or 7 o'clock position). Once "reset" there is no hum, even if the sub's volume is turned up considerably. I struggled with this for a while, even calling up the manufacturer (who answered the phone back then). I tried removing cable/satellite TV input from the receiver; tried removing the equipment ground from the sub; tried plugging in to the same power strip as the receiver. No luck. I decided (with little to go on) that it was just an artifact of the various components I have and over time, found that getting up to "reset" the sub was too much of a bother, so kept the volume set to almost off. I was running a Marantz SR880 MkII receiver. Then finally I unplugged it completely and there it sat in the corner.

I have just received a Marantz SR6010 AVR as a gift. I've now replace the SR880, and love all the new format processing, connectivity, switching, convenience, etc. I was optimistic and enthusiastic in thinking I would now, finally, be able to enjoy the Sunfire sub after all these years. Turns out that's not so.

I've removed the electronics and visually inspected for anything obvious. I re-seated the leads to the driver. I don't see any bulging electrolytic capacitors. At this point and from reading this thread in entirety (I've not been keeping up with subwoofer developments otherwise) it sounds like this unit is now one of those "they don't make them like that anymore" (meaning superior to current models) and can't be replaced. I really like the amount, depth, and visceral impact of this sub (when not humming to much I can't hear) especially for it's size. And it doesn't feel "sloppy" but tight and controlled.

Not sure if this should be a separate thread (if so, moderators please fix and accept my apologies). Are there experts with this unit that can help walk me through debugging this problem? Surely someone must be running a Marantz AVR with a similar Sunfire sub that doesn't have this problem (which I'm hoping for as an indicator that there is not some incredibly bizarre interaction between the Marantz HDAM/current feedback circuitry and the Sunfire amp).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #69 of 74 Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I got rid of mine years ago and went SVS. It had a hum that drove me nuts in my True Signature sub.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
post #70 of 74 Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 PM

Zero hum in my True Signature. If it is not a ground loop then you have an issue.

The True Signature I recently purchased, used, replaced two new Paradigm Monitor 12 subs I was disappointed with. This single sub totally blows away the performance of the two subs by light years. No organ music is too challenging and the SPL it is capable of is way way beyond my dedicated 300 square foot theater and hifi room.

Also owned a failed True EQ 10 Solitaire. This sub was still working but had developed a hum so I sent it off to Frank Malitz after seeing his post on this forum. All fixed and on the way back to me as of this morning. Frank was great to deal with. Turnaround was about six weeks.
No one else would even try to fix the EQ model. Frank is a godsend to Sunfire Sub owners.

Superb sound out of both of these sealed and very powerful subs. And they are quick enough to blend with my Martin Logan electrostatics.
post #71 of 74 Old 01-29-2016, 04:42 PM

Well my True EQ 10 is back and hooked up. No hum and sounds awesome.
THANK YOU FRANK.
post #72 of 74 Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 PM

Just got my Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII back from Frank and it's rocking the house again! It went out several years ago and I thought it was a lost cause. Frank spent a lot of time working on it to get it right (you have to be patient since this isn't his main business), but he got it done right and now it's back! I had almost forgotten how good it sounds, but this sub is really a wonder on how tight and punchy it is. Really adds that last (!!!) to sound tracks and music. Thanks so much Frank!!!!
post #73 of 74 Old 06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Sorry if this is the wrong spot but a friend of mine is giving me a broken True Subwoofer MKII. He's not sure if the sub or the amp is broken. I have an unused pro amp to test it with that has 550 watts at 4ohm. I'm wondering what the ohm load of the Sunfire driver is (I don't have a multimeter) and if the stock amp applied any EQ to the sub?

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #74 of 74 Old 01-27-2017, 04:24 AM

I own a HRS-10 and suspect it might be damaged. It hums when no inputs are connected (it becomes louder ith increased sub volume). The only way I can get to stop is by attaching a wire to the sub amp and my receiver ground pin.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
/Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page